The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going to make $2,500 in one week with $0 investment

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser394

This really exploded over night haha.

Basically I just want everyone to understand that this is not a fastlane endeavor, and I'm not pretending that it is. This is a way to start getting creative.

Fact is, a lot of people would rather be self employed than employed by 'the man'.

To get to 'Z' (passive, you don't have to do anything, etc), you have to do steps A to Y.

What I'm presenting here is just one path that a person can take to get started towards their fastlane.

The only thing 100% passive I'm doing right now is ETFs, and not for capital growth, but for income. Just recently I was able to drop 24 days off my slowlane job because the income generated from those assets were equal to those 24 days.

So if I (Person A) and Person B earn the same amount of money, he has to work 50 weeks a year to make the exact same amount as I do in only 45 weeks at a slowlane job even though our salaries are identical.

I use money from my other ventures (not this thing) to build that portfolio and I add more days off my slowlane every time

It's a weird way to get to the point of financial independence but it works for me lol. As my side ventures profit increases, so does my income in the form of withdrawals from the ETF account.

Busy day ahead!

D

DeletedUser394

Changed my mind.

I'm sending out emails to laborers during the commercials. Goal is to contact all postings made within the last 48 hours.

That way tomorrow I can approach people needing work done and I'll already have a Rolodex of workers to contact.

If I finish that, then I'll start contacting potential clients. It's only 8:30 here so I might get responses before I go to bed.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
I like the plan but I have some concerns. I'm totally one to support the idea of being able to get a lot of shit done in a short time frame, my progress thread also had a timeline (1 month) but in this case I feel like you might be underestimating how much time it will take, especially considering you are working "all the time" but I don't know how amazing you are, I'd love for you to surprise me and kill it this week.

My bigger concern is that you haven't validated the idea (as far as I know). If I was a painter I would be posting my own ad and replying to every job. On the other hand if I was looking for a painter I might not bother looking through the ads and just post a job and let the painters contact me because it's easier for me to do that.

Luckily I have a very easy way for you to validate the idea, I suggest you make your own fake listing looking for a painter and see if you get any replies. You might be surprised and get tons from every painter in the area, or maybe you'll get none and you can tell me I'm stupid but at least you won't spend tons of time finding the painters just to realize the market doesn't exist. Good luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
figure out a way to take that surplus cash and turn it into passive

Find products on Amazon around product ranking #100,000 for the sports niche. Get an LLC and resellers license from your state. Contact the manufacturers and offer to sell their stuff. Get approved, ship the stuff to your house, relabel it to Amazon standards, and ship it to Amazon. Viola!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
There is no money without SOME commitment of time. There's no purchasing a system and watching the money roll in. MJ had to spend time to set up the limo thing, then more time to maintain it. His separation from work came after he got it all set up. Then he could utilize the autonomous system that he built.

Without expenditure of time (read: EFFORT), there's no one to purchase something that you didn't build, no cashflow from those zero customers, and no big payout from the unproven system.

If RichKid wanted to build this in to a Fastlane biz, he could create a temp service or a LaborReady type of company. This thread is simply just showing that with zero money to start with and the power of the internet, you can create an income if you leverage people's need to work and other people's need to have work done.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
CarrieW, go back to the OP. Richkid is trying to show how to overcome some of the main 'woe is me, I can never start a business excuses'.....

a) I have no time/I'm too busy
b) I have no money

He is using little time to create a little money. Thus breaking down the mental barrier that keep many on the sidewalk.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
It's a weird way to get to the point of financial independence....
Not at all. It sounds like a practical way. The only way, really.
Even if this was your sole source of income, and you spent 40h/w on it,
When you DO reach the 2500/week goal (and it will happen, even if it takes a month or prepwork)
it would still be worth it.

You'd be valuing your time at $62.5/hr and have an annual income of $130K, which many people dream of.
All it would take from that point is a few human systems and you're gold.

You can't just go out and outsource a job you've never done,
you'd be leaking cash for a LONG time before it became profitable.
Hiring a lawyer/dispatcher/sales guy isn't effective until you can train that sales guy on what works.

This is the exact process on how a passive businessWOULD get started.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
@RichKid something I've done in the past that was quick and easy but gives a lil more cred and possibly higher end work... do a background check on your "subcontractors", use this as a selling point when talking to potential clients. I think I paid something like 9.99 per background check. Even if they did have a record (depending on that record) I may still choose to use them. I'd tell the HO or Biz that all my guys go through a background check so you can rest assured you and your possessions will be safe. That one line alone (and my beautiful charm - not) got me the keys to their house, code to their garage, etc.. so, we could do the work without them being home. Yea, it may eat into your margin a lil bit but you more then make up for it getting the higher end clientele. Good luck and awesome hustle.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
So I decided to try this in my hometown as I saw quite a few yard work, gardening jobs posted, and thought it would be a good experiment. I went on the resume section of Craigslist, typed in yard work, emailed 5 people and got 5 responses back quick. So obviously finding workers wont be hard, now to contact all these job postings. Thanks @RichKid for the thread.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

@RichKid

Is it unusual to be paid upfront? Do you get paid in full upfront?

Do you need to be there at the start AND end of the project? How much time do you need to spend at the job site (if you're not doing work yourself)?

I think your point on rejection is really valuable. Like you said, the people who do respond with interest often don't follow through. They just waste your time. There's even people who will not follow through when YOU want to buy THEIR STUFF.

Being paid up front: I can't answer whether it's unusual or not, because I'm literally just making this up/figuring it out as I go along. I've been doing this experiment for a grand total of 3 or 4 days haha.

I get my part up front. (I call it a deposit/downpayment). Laborers are paid by homeowner on completion.

I only show up at the start to make sure the laborers actually show up. If there's a problem, the homeowner can contact me.

I spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes at the job site. You just have to make sure everyone shows up and aren't crack heads.

D

DeletedUser394

Booked a painting job. Going to have to do some of the work on this one because otherwise it won't be feasible (I don't know how to paint). I also have a full day at my real job. Fun.

Because I'm doing part of the work, I'm getting $250 (out of $700). They only need one coat to finish. New laborers this time.

I've found myself slacking today, wasted a bunch of time that I could've done something better. Oh well.

I need to lessen my idle time spent on the internet. Maybe from the hours of 9-5 I won't access it unless necessary to make more money. I waste time if I take a lunch break and start browsing.

$415 profit after 5 days into this, and clearly odds are I'm going to 'fail'. Such is life.

Summary

Day 1 (wednesday): $0
Day 2 (thursday): $60
Day 3 (friday): $50
Day 4 (saturday): $55
Day 5 (sunday): $250
Day 6 (monday): TBD
Day 7 (tuesday): TBD
Day 8 (wednesday): TBD

Total

$415

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
@RichKid I'll be following. I like it !
Maybe things are different there, but here in Michigan, people are very guarded and on the defense.
People would be like "Where's your business cards ? References ? Insurance ? Are you a contractor ?".

BUT....I am going to look at Craigslist out of curiosity. I know people need work done in the City of Detroit and no one wants to do it...bang bang :dead:

Good luck man !
I don't think most people on here know or truly understand how bad it is in Detroit, Heck how many people have been killed this past week. You look funny at people you get shot. You try to help people you get beat down by a mob of thugs.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RichKid I'm finding this helpful as I'm hustling for dollars as I type. Problem is I've always SUCKED at hustling. I WANT to get better. It's pissed me off so time to practice more.

I'm taking notes...and action. I called the guy who cuts our lawn and has done some jobs for us and worked a deal. I get 10% off the top of every job I get him.(Craigslist emails this a.m.) He and his crew are Mexicans and have many talents and a hell of a work ethic.

Much appreciated.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Can you give an indication of how profitable this can be? In my experience with Amazon, which is still limited, it seems like the only way to make money is when you're the sole supplier or the cheapest one. I just can't see how vendor number 26 is able to profit form offering the same product as the other 25, at a higher price. Much appreciated if you could elaborate a bit.
You have to make sure that the companies you deal with are strong enforcers of MAP, don't allow Amazon to sell their products, have at least 50% markup from wholesale to retail, and the goods should be at least $30 or higher. You also must always be fully stocked (via FBA) so that when the other 25 run out of stock, you swoop in and get the purchases that would have gone to them.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I have more knowledge then a lot of people on this board.
Knowledge is only justified by action. If knowledge equaled money, librarians and professors would be billionaires. They're not if that needed clarification.

Yet in reality people like Paris Hilton and Miley Cyrus are worth several million.

D

DeletedUser394

So, I'm wondering, amongst the drama. Could you hire someone to do your function and make this passive?

I briefly experimented a while back by offering startup funds to a few people in my city. Basically they would use my capital to do buy/sell deals and I would get a percentage of the profit.

It worked out okay, I did make a bit of money but there comes a point where I wanted to distance myself from that and focus on bigger projects.

So it's possible (based on my limited sample) but for me personally it wasn't worth it.

D

DeletedUser394

Plan tomorrow is to do much the same as the past 2 days.

I actually don't mind working on the weekends. When everyone is sleeping I'm bringing in a bit more money. The train is more pleasant when nobody's on it but you haha.

Past couple of hours I sent out 42 emails and got 3 replies. THREE. I can't stress this enough for anyone that's going to try this, you will experience this level of rejection/indifference.

You only need one person to say yes.

This is a weird one, but I saw a temp position for dog poop picker uppers. Apparently people actually have designated routes and drive around picking up dog crap... I didn't know this was a thing.

$150 split over two days. (8 hours maybe? so $18.75/hr give or take). My father/son team can't do tomorrow so I have a family member doing it. College student, could use extra money on a weekend.. $12/hr was my offer so I'm making $6.75/hr doing nothing. That's another $50.

It looks like I'm topping out at around $50-$60 a day. Now obviously, if I actually did some of the work myself I could bump that number up.

So for anyone hopping to get into this, please realize you can make more than $50/day. I'm just making $50/day doing nothing.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm doing this to show people that there are alternatives to a 'crap job anyone can do'. Lots of young guys (and galls) don't want to have to report to a superior.

I'm really glad you said this, and appreciate you sharing your progress on this thread. I've said before that your flipping/hustling thread is what got me to start taking action, and I hope that this thread eventually has the same effect on another forum member that's wasting their time.

It always amazes me just how easy it is to find opportunities like this. The money is out there, just waiting for someone to take it. You don't need an office or startup capital, you just need to DO something rather than spend another evening on the couch watching "Duck Dynasty" or whatever is popular nowadays.

I sit in classes and I hear kids complaining about having to work all weekend for $7.50/hour at Target or JC Penney. When in reality anyone can start hustling and make more money in less time, AND not have to listen to some jerk-off manager who's all proud of her certified-pre-owned Mercedes E-Class (personal jab to my old boss.)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
New day @RichKid, $60 rep transferred for the upcoming haul. Go get it!

4ZTlxeA.jpg

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RichKid ... This just occurred to me. You're a Temp Agency...sort of.

This is BIG business here in MI. They get people looking for work to 'register' with them. When a temporary position opens up, the agency contacts the job seeker. They set up the interview.
Sometimes it's a temp with a possibility of full time hire.

If the company that hired the temp wants to keep the temp full time, they 'buy them out' from the Agency. Thousands of dollars depending on the position.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Great job on making things happen.

When I was on my neighborhood association board of 50 homes on a lake. We had two handymen that networked in our 'hood. They became the unofficial handymen and were literally kept busy nearly full time doing projects. We were almost better off hiring 'em full time (aside from employment headaches), or should have signed 'em up for a monthly retainer. Six figures a year easy on deck/porch repair, siding, gutters, appliance maintenance, painting, tiling, roof/skylight repair, minor electrical, room/basement remodeling. There are TONS of these guys out there leftover from the building boom that don't have steady work that are qualified that need near zero oversight once on the job. Just line 'em up with steady work and cash the checks.

This is a twist on your idea, in order to generate a nice sustainable business in approaching neighborhood associations as a group after you do a job or two w/ good recommendations.

Another idea on helpers other than the homeless are the functional disabled/handicapped for simple jobs. I've had great success with them and they bring a lot of joy to other employees and the workplace. Cities/counties/states may have programs to help you, or specialized temp agencies.

There have been nice cottage industries born out of services that most anyone can do, but putting a little marketing and execution savvy behind it. Ikea stores have led to enterprising folks starting up delivery and assembly services. If you've ever bought stuff from Ikea that needs assembly, you know what I mean. I bought a couple large 10ft x 8ft frosted glass wardrobes there and it took me hours to figure out the first wardrobe, with tons of stress and swearing. And their instruction books suck balls. I'd never assemble another one again, but those services are probably very efficient in doing so.

Justin079

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 20, 2013
This kind of reminds me of the Daniel Craig movie Layer Cake where a business rival tells him:
"Always remember the art of good business, is being a good middle man. Bringing people together"

Awesome post RK Thank you.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RichKid I'll be following. I like it !
Maybe things are different there, but here in Michigan, people are very guarded and on the defense.
People would be like "Where's your business cards ? References ? Insurance ? Are you a contractor ?".

BUT....I am going to look at Craigslist out of curiosity. I know people need work done in the City of Detroit and no one wants to do it...bang bang :dead:

Good luck man !

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Hustling is like a lifestyle change, while wanting to make thousands right off the bat is like a crash diet that lasts 72 hours. One changes your life in small incitements and results in real financial growth by the end, the other is just an action-fake blip.
Respect the hustle.

Great post. I really like this analogy.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
RichKid shows people how to build a bridge, not 'leap and the net shall a(swallowyoucrushyourconfidenceandsendyoubacktoyourjob)ppear'

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
@RichKid I think it might be more helpful to some people if you explain the process a bit. For instance, a little detail about the emails you're sending out, the phone calls, how you're arranging payment, etc. I'm not saying do a step by step and spoon feed everyone, but offer a little more insight into your process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.