The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going to make $2,500 in one week with $0 investment

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser394

This will be the world's shortest progress thread. You'll be able to see the idea, execution, and result all within the span of a week.

Had quite a few positive experiences today, so I'm gonna keep it going by giving something back.

So the goal is simple. Make $2.5k cash.

Let's go over the usual excuses;

a) I have no time/I'm too busy
b) I have no money

About me;

a) I work all the time, and I don't anticipate taking a day off during the entire span of this challenge. Plus I've got my own side ventures to maintain.
b) I'm not using any money.

The idea;

In those online classifieds I always see guys posting '2 guys with truck, looking for cash job, etc'. Then I see ads from home owners needing services done, be it painting, lawn work, whatever.

Why don't these people ever bother contacting each other? Easy, it's the same reason why people ask dumb questions rather than use the search function. It's easier to get other people to give you the answers, so in this situation that's what I'm going to do.

The plan;

So I'm going to create one or more crews from all those day laborer guys and I'm going to connect them with jobs. I will take a cut.

The weather has just changed from freezing and snow covered, to warm and beautiful, so I may have the best results with spring cleaning/lawnwork/painting those types of things.

I have solid connections to a large window manufacture, so I'll look for those types of opportunities as well.

I figure at most I can haggle for a 25% cut. That would mean that I'd have to generate $10,000 worth of work. Seems like a lot, but 2 or 3 window or painting jobs and I'm there. I'd go for a lower cut if I had more time, but the goal is 1 week, so eh.

Feel free to steal my process from A to Z. I'm only doing this once anyway and the whole point is to show you, if you're struggling, that generating some quick cash is relatively easy and straightforward.

Day 1 (today), I'm not even going to do anything. CNBC is airing 'Money Talks' in 5 minutes and I missed yesterdays The Profit, which reruns tonight. so lol...

Day 2 (tomorrow) we get down to business.

Good luck me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Changed my mind.

I'm sending out emails to laborers during the commercials. Goal is to contact all postings made within the last 48 hours.

That way tomorrow I can approach people needing work done and I'll already have a Rolodex of workers to contact.

If I finish that, then I'll start contacting potential clients. It's only 8:30 here so I might get responses before I go to bed.

HD_edacity

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 12, 2013
Toronto
Nice, this will be interesting because i'v been looking to do something similar but with cleaning services.I'v been posting on kijiji (local craigslist) got people willing to work but no clients yet.

Can't wait to see your progress.

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
This will be the world's shortest progress thread. You'll be able to see the idea, execution, and result all within the span of a week.

Had quite a few positive experiences today, so I'm gonna keep it going by giving something back.

So the goal is simple. Make $2.5k cash.

Let's go over the usual excuses;

a) I have no time/I'm too busy
b) I have no money

About me;

a) I work all the time, and I don't anticipate taking a day off during the entire span of this challenge. Plus I've got my own side ventures to maintain.
b) I'm not using any money.

The idea;

In those online classifieds I always see guys posting '2 guys with truck, looking for cash job, etc'. Then I see ads from home owners needing services done, be it painting, lawn work, whatever.

Why don't these people ever bother contacting each other? Easy, it's the same reason why people ask dumb questions rather than use the search function. It's easier to get other people to give you the answers, so in this situation that's what I'm going to do.

The plan;

So I'm going to create one or more crews from all those day laborer guys and I'm going to connect them with jobs. I will take a cut.

The weather has just changed from freezing and snow covered, to warm and beautiful, so I may have the best results with spring cleaning/lawnwork/painting those types of things.

I have solid connections to a large window manufacture, so I'll look for those types of opportunities as well.

I figure at most I can haggle for a 25% cut. That would mean that I'd have to generate $10,000 worth of work. Seems like a lot, but 2 or 3 window or painting jobs and I'm there. I'd go for a lower cut if I had more time, but the goal is 1 week, so eh.

Feel free to steal my process from A to Z. I'm only doing this once anyway and the whole point is to show you, if you're struggling, that generating some quick cash is relatively easy and straightforward.

Day 1 (today), I'm not even going to do anything. CNBC is airing 'Money Talks' in 5 minutes and I missed yesterdays The Profit, which reruns tonight. so lol...

Day 2 (tomorrow) we get down to business.

Good luck me.

Great plan.

Btw, I had to ask. Is that you in your photo?

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I think this will definitely work, but I think you're short-selling the amount of time it takes to pull off a big home exterior jobs. You can probably go from ink-dry to a finished roof in a week, but with siding the process of ordering, estimates, equipment, etc. It'd have to be a crack team and a very decisive shopper to do that in seven days.

D

DeletedUser394

I think this will definitely work, but I think you're short-selling the amount of time it takes to pull off a big home exterior jobs. You can probably go from ink-dry to a finished roof in a week, but with siding the process of ordering, estimates, equipment, etc. It'd have to be a crack team and a very decisive shopper to do that in seven days.

Very true. I'm definitely not doing any of those.

Focus is on spring cleaning/organizing and painting.

Windows can be done as the company has built up inventory and most of the houses around here run pretty standard size wise. Would take a short time for measuring and if we had in stock can be done in a day easily.

Painting will take a while, but I figure I'll keep the downpayment or part of it, the rest will be paid direct to the laborers on completion.

As you said, some of the projects will run over, but I'll try to take my portion up front, akin to a broker/finder's fee.

D

DeletedUser394

Nice, this will be interesting because i'v been looking to do something similar but with cleaning services.I'v been posting on kijiji (local craigslist) got people willing to work but no clients yet.

Can't wait to see your progress.

I'm using the same thing.

Currently reside in YYC.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Good luck with everything. Based on my current experiences with my own business, it may be difficult signing on the contractors/laborers. They are not typically not the brightest bulbs and tend to be highly skeptical/slowlane. When I first started my offer to them was literally risk free. If i got them work they paid nothing. If I didn't get them any work they paid nothing. I still received "no thanks, we're not interested".

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
I like the plan but I have some concerns. I'm totally one to support the idea of being able to get a lot of shit done in a short time frame, my progress thread also had a timeline (1 month) but in this case I feel like you might be underestimating how much time it will take, especially considering you are working "all the time" but I don't know how amazing you are, I'd love for you to surprise me and kill it this week.

My bigger concern is that you haven't validated the idea (as far as I know). If I was a painter I would be posting my own ad and replying to every job. On the other hand if I was looking for a painter I might not bother looking through the ads and just post a job and let the painters contact me because it's easier for me to do that.

Luckily I have a very easy way for you to validate the idea, I suggest you make your own fake listing looking for a painter and see if you get any replies. You might be surprised and get tons from every painter in the area, or maybe you'll get none and you can tell me I'm stupid but at least you won't spend tons of time finding the painters just to realize the market doesn't exist. Good luck.

D

DeletedUser394

I like the plan but I have some concerns. I'm totally one to support the idea of being able to get a lot of shit done in a short time frame, my progress thread also had a timeline (1 month) but in this case I feel like you might be underestimating how much time it will take, especially considering you are working "all the time" but I don't know how amazing you are, I'd love for you to surprise me and kill it this week.

My bigger concern is that you haven't validated the idea (as far as I know). If I was a painter I would be posting my own ad and replying to every job. On the other hand if I was looking for a painter I might not bother looking through the ads and just post a job and let the painters contact me because it's easier for me to do that.

Luckily I have a very easy way for you to validate the idea, I suggest you make your own fake listing looking for a painter and see if you get any replies. You might be surprised and get tons from every painter in the area, or maybe you'll get none and you can tell me I'm stupid but at least you won't spend tons of time finding the painters just to realize the market doesn't exist. Good luck.

Great points! I'm going after the 'general laborers'. Lots of people in my area are looking for short term cash jobs. I've outsourced jobs in the past (mostly cleaning). Definitely had some flakes, but overall was a decent experience.

The bold part is exactly where I plan to come into the picture.

This isn't a do or die situation for me (don't need 'quick cash' or anything) so if I totally fail which is a possibility then it's not that big of deal.

I just want to try something outlandish. Over a longer time frame it's definitely doable, but I want a challenge.

Now that I think of it, once upon a time I posted an ad looking for commission salesmen to sell a product I had, and I got inundated with responses, some of whom clearly didn't even read the job posting haha.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
What happens when a stranger you hired falls off a roof and breaks his back? Or if they steal something/vandalize your customers property?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
What happens when a stranger you hired falls off a roof and breaks his back? Or if they steal something/vandalize your customers property?
I don't believe that would be @RichKid's responsibility, since he's acting as a referrer rather than an employer.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
I don't believe that would be @RichKid's responsibility, since he's acting as a referrer rather than an employer.

It's not nearly that simple.

If he gets paid a fee by the crew for merely finding them jobs and has nothing further to do with it, the he probably would have no liability if an accident occurred. But he still would probably get sued if a worker got hurt.I.e- "failure to inspect" "failure to warn" "hazardous working conditions" etc.

But if he approaches homeowners and says he will find them a crew, and gets paid a deposit by the homeowner, he may be considered a contractor. States have complex tests to determine who is a contractor vs employer (or not) and whether they are liable to pay worker's comp or damages. If something untoward happened to a worker, the property or the homeowner he would probably get sued.

Many people don't understand the legal and financial risks they are exposing themselves to when they get involved in any kind of construction/repair/ maintenance work.

I wouldn't touch anything like this without legal advice and getting insurance first,which considering the small amount of profit involved would make it not even worth it.

Everything might go great or it might turn into a disaster that can hang over your head for years.

The above is not legal advice, it's common sense advice

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

If he gets paid a fee by the crew for merely finding them jobs and has nothing further to do with it, the he probably would have no liability if an accident occurred. But he still would probably get sued if a worker got hurt.I.e- "failure to inspect" "failure to warn" "hazardous working conditions" etc.

But if he approaches homeowners and says he will find them a crew, and gets paid a deposit by the homeowner, he may be considered a contractor. States have complex tests to determine who is a contractor vs employer (or not) and whether they are liable to pay worker's comp or damages. If something untoward happened to a worker, the property or the homeowner he would probably get sued.

Many people don't understand the legal and financial risks they are exposing themselves to when they get involved in any kind of construction/repair/ maintenance work.

I wouldn't touch anything like this without legal advice and getting insurance first,which considering the small amount of profit involved would make it not even worth it.

Everything might go great or it might turn into a disaster that can hang over your head for years.

Wow this is a wall of "can'ts/don'ts"

Sure call a CPA/attorney to check, don't hold back because an "internet lawyer" said it's scary.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RichKid I'll be following. I like it !
Maybe things are different there, but here in Michigan, people are very guarded and on the defense.
People would be like "Where's your business cards ? References ? Insurance ? Are you a contractor ?".

BUT....I am going to look at Craigslist out of curiosity. I know people need work done in the City of Detroit and no one wants to do it...bang bang :dead:

Good luck man !

D

DeletedUser394

I have ways to vet potential laborers to the point where I'm not too concerned about their integrity.

This is strictly cash and informal. When contacting people I'm not pretending to be a professional, just a hard working student who's seeing how far I can push myself. So I'm targeting people that want to pay cash and people that want to make cash. I will claim it as income, because I've got about $8,000 in tuition credit for tax purposes lol.

In the case of the windows, that would be handled by a professional crew, with all proper documentation, etc as supplied by the window manufacturer.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Maybe things are different there, but here in Michigan, people are very guarded and on the defense.
People would be like "Where's your business cards ? References ? Insurance ? Are you a contractor ?".

BUT....I am going to look at Craigslist out of curiosity. I know people need work done in the City of Detroit and no one wants to do it...bang bang :dead:

Good luck man !
I don't think most people on here know or truly understand how bad it is in Detroit, Heck how many people have been killed this past week. You look funny at people you get shot. You try to help people you get beat down by a mob of thugs.

D

DeletedUser394

You bring up valid points.

I have active WCB coverage from my brief stint as a contractor (not sure what the American equivalent is). I can use it if needed (as well as my old trade name).

However, if a homeowner wants to deal strictly with cash, then that's really what I'm going for. I plan to report the income as I can write it off anyway. Doesn't matter to me if the other people just pocket it.

I'm up North, not in the States and people aren't quick to sue over just about anything. A serious injury sure, however the statistical probability of this transpiring in a one week period is negligible.

In any case, none of the projects I'm focusing on have tremendous risk of serious harm.

People around here do cash work all the time, myself included. Never had any issues. That's not to say it can't happen, but maybe I'm understating how minor the jobs I'm seeking out actually are. We ain't doing full reno's haha.

D

DeletedUser394

I don't think most people on here know or truly understand how bad it is in Detroit, Heck how many people have been killed this past week. You look funny at people you get shot. You try to help people you get beat down by a mob of thugs.

My friend was killed in Dearborn Heights a few weeks before I was supposed to fly out there to stay with him for a bit. I totally understand how bad it is.

D

DeletedUser394

Good luck man !

I'm grateful to live where I am.

I can wander the streets at 3 am by myself and have no fear whatsoever. Can't say that of many other large cities.

D

DeletedUser394

Day 2 got off to a rocky start. Made a $60 profit even after a laborer bailed.

I'm technically supposed to be working, so I'll give a full update later today.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
My friend was killed in Dearborn Heights a few weeks before I was supposed to fly out there to stay with him for a bit. I totally understand how bad it is.
Yeah I remember you posting about that last year. Detroit is its own monster Mayor and Police chief endorse home owners " Shot to kill" which I fully agree with. They as in home owners have shot and killed over 10 thugs since Feb of this year.. Last week a guy ended up hitting a 10 year old < It was the kids fault not the driver> Driver did the right thing got out of his truck to check on the kid. A mob of 12 thugs beat him down so bad he is in a Coma now.

I also had a friend of a friend that was shot dead last month for looking at a gang banger. I am to the point I will not go into Detroit unless I have too. It use to be fun to drive around the , not soo much anymore.. RichKid sorry to hear about your friend. Btw Dearborn Heights really is not that bad.. Dearborn is the bomb so many fun things to do in that city and some of the best food around...

G

Guest3722A

A rent-a-drunk business! Nice. A few years ago when I lived down in Florida one of my two jobs was doing sales for a rent-a-drunk biz. You may want to consider driving around looking for new construction and road crews in your area.

Anyone who had drywall to hang, road work or anything heavy many times would take a couple to a few of em.

Heck, I felt bad one day because I sent this one dude who couldn't have weighed more than 130 to a library to carry a heavy marble fixture down a few flights of stairs.... he crapped himself. But he got paid, and that's what mattered.

D

DeletedUser394

Day 2 in the books.

Had 3 people that were supposed to show at a cleanup site. Basically condo developer gutted and remodeled the place, and needed some people to remove the leftover debris and then stage the place by assembling some crap from ikea and placing it in all the rooms.

Lots of building going on around here, so this is common, I've even done one of these before.

One was a younger guy, mid twenties from what I know, the other guy was a single father (40ish?) with his son just looking to make some extra cash.

Douche in his twenties went AWOL, but the other two guys were cool.

After we lost the last guy, the job quote was dropped to $300. They were happy to keep $240 (6 hours work, $120 each, $20/hr) , and the remainder is where my $60 came from.

I did stay for a bit to build a cabinet (I like building things). Took about a half hour. So I figure 30mins working + 30mins getting the people connected.

If I placed my full attention on this it would be more profitable, but I want to see how far I can take this with minimal effort and minimal time.

Already have another one lined up for tomorrow. A friend of a coworker is planning a party and needs his place cleaned up (bachelor lifestyle.. ie pigsty) and then prepped for Saturday night.

The same father/son team agreed to come back which is super helpful as I don't have to waste any time finding people for tomorrow.

Note I'm specifically targeting jobsites in wealthier areas of the city so that I can charge more. Tomorrow's job is $200 + $50 up front for me.

Obviously I'm not going to get to that $2.5k with $60/day so I reached out during lunch and contacted a salesman at the window manufacturer. He gave me some leads and agreed to a 60/40 split on profit (I get the 40%).

Past jobs ranged from $750 to $10,000+ (rev not profit).

Nobody died, nobody stole anything, and nobody tried to sue me. Success.

The goal is purposely unrealistic. If I said "$500 then that's easy, I've done it before". I get PMs all the time from younger guys who are struggling to find a base, so I just want to show them that you don't have to have all the answers, you just got to get started.

My phone etiquette is horrendous and I'm still getting this done. $110 in 2 days with about 3 hours of work seems okay for a start. If I can close on a window project this weekend, we'd probably be adding another $500 to the bottomline which will go a long way towards the goal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.