The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Go into debt for buying Magic cards, should I do it?

sQri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 27, 2014
Hi,

I was recently told by a friend, that one of his friend plans to sell his huuuge Magic the Gathering collection (with Power 9 and all Duals, if you now what I mean).
I have a lot of experience in buying/selling Magic cards, so that is nothing new for me.

The guy wants around 16k Euro, whereas the collection is worth around than 20k.
Obviously, I have to assure myself, that the prices and cards are ok.

Now the problem is, that I only have saved up around 5k, so I need at least 10k, which I can ask my parents for, but have inhibitions.

For the decision, I thought to myself:
  • Whats the best that could happen: I sell the cards for more than the 20k, sell them quickly and make some easy money
  • What the worst that could happen: I sell the cards for way less than the 16k, it take years to sell them, am in debt to my parents for a long time
  • Normally, it takes a while to sell all the cards and I can pay my debt of regularly.

I know, in the end, it is my decision, but I like to hear your opinions.

Thanks a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
G

Guest34764

Sounds a bit to risky.I used to play a bit of Magic but i've never seen people who would pay that much for them in that big of a bulk.IMO i wouldn't do it.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I'd agree with @Fox. At the very least, don't buy them unless you have someone lined up to buy them from you.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
High risk, low ROI. Not worth it.

If you KNOW you can get AT LEAST 20k for them within 6 months tops then I would offer 4k and leave it at that. No negotiation, just a one time offer. Take it or leave it.

Better yet forget it and use the 5k you have to build something sustainable and worthwhile.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Why aren't you selling them now and confirming market instead of posting whether you should do it or not? Sales orders solve everything.

This is the same as any business deal...... Does it solve a need? Is there market? What is the payback? What is the ROR? What is the risk? Is there any easy way to make each of those better?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Do you care to elaborate why?
Total lack of control.
If Magic changes their rule set, floods the market, goes digital, or another wildly successful game erodes the market share, the value of the cards can go to cents on the dollar in a hurry.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Out of curiosity, I checked ebay...... can buy 6000+ card sets for 49.95.......

sQri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 27, 2014
High risk, low ROI. Not worth it.

And magic cards in general.

Why a low ROI, if I'm right, it 25%, which is high, isn't it?
And why the disregard of Magic cards?

Total lack of control.
If Magic changes their rule set, floods the market, goes digital, or another wildly successful game erodes the market share, the value of the cards can go to cents on the dollar in a hurry.

Sure, this may happen, but it is very unlikely. Do you know anything about Magic?

Out of curiosity, I checked ebay...... can buy 6000+ card sets for 49.95.......

Thank you, but it looks, that you don't know anything about Magic ;)

I was talking about cards like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Lotus-Unlimited-Magic-the-Gathering-/301743271235?hash=item46414ced43
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancestral-Recall-MP-HP-Unlimited-Mtg-Magic-/272000652641?hash=item3f54809561
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlimited-M...ic-Card-MTG-/291565369318?hash=item43e2a677e6

Cards, that costs 1k each, which should increase in value.

As you said, it is like any other business deal.

My main topic is, if it is a good idea to get a loan for this deal.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
As others have said, don't unless you're lined up to liquidate them quickly.

I did play magic several years ago so I'm familiar and I also hustled buying selling collectibles for about 18 months. The MINIMUM I would want to get is 50% value so in this case 10k. But typically the larger collection of stuff I bought at a time the more I would want to stretch that margin to reduce my risk so in this case I would personally not offer anything over say 8k on a few conditions.

1. You're already familiar with the business of selling magic cards and really understand your turnaround time/shelf life/how long you'll sit on them before they sell.

2. I could get rid of them in 30-40 days MAX. 14 days would be preferable, but for the value of your return, a month would be acceptable to me personally.

3. The 20k valuation is based on the lowest recent sold for prices you can find (use eBay as a guide) not median or high valuation prices.

The longer you have to sit on something the less you'll pay for it. If I knew I was going to sit on that collection 6 months I'd lower my offer even more down to the 5-6k range depending on some of the factors listed above.

The thing everyone is dancing around here and hasn't said outright is that you have to be product agnostic. Yes you're familiar with magic cards, but if you can put your money to a better use making 100% return on it for example (see the various hustle threads by grumpy cat) you're much much better off.

In short, it's probably a bet you'll regret making.

Boozoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 4, 2015
Well I would definitely take a look at the current meta of the tournaments and try to guesstimate whether the cards sold are going to have value or not. It has been years since I played Magic but I think that you should check who is your target market first. Are they players or collectors? Players will pay for cards that can help them win tournaments, so if the set that your friend is selling is full of shitty creatures and spells you should take that into consideration. Collectors are a bit trickier, they might not want the cards and you will end up selling each card separately.

But, I would not ask money from my parents. Seems too risky to me. Maybe purchase some cards that you believe are going to sell well in the following months.

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
If I asked my parents for 10k to buy Magic cards with the best case scenario being make abour 4-5k they would laugh at me.

If I went to the bank and asked the same question they would laugh at me.

I don't think this is easy money, as said before by others it is high risk. You have no control! I don't even think there is a need. And you are going to have to spend a lot of time hustling these cards AND having to pay your parents back.

Your own savings are better off going towards something sustainable, repeatable, and with the potential to scale.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Be a broker and ask for a 5% fee or half of everything over 16k. No need to borrow money on top of the high risk.

Or get 100 percent of everything over it with a 3 way brokerage escrow.

But, I'm with theag... Magic cards? Seriously?

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Or get 100 percent of everything over it with a 3 way brokerage escrow.

But, I'm with theag... Magic cards? Seriously?

There is potential in collectibles, but yes CCGs in general are a tough market to hustle in without really knowing how to keep your own backside safe.

The problem with collectibles however is that you are competing against people who want them personally and are irrational on price at times so especially with a collection that size it's going to be tough to buy it for the right price.

I do like your guys' thoughts on a brokerage fee or setting up the 3 way escrow. I don't do that hustle anymore but that's definitely my golden nugget from the forum for the day. Sticking that in my mental toolbelt for a rainy day.

PatricianCat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Apr 2, 2015
Nova Scotia
The problem with collectibles however is that you are competing against people who want them personally and are irrational on price at times so especially with a collection that size it's going to be tough to buy it for the right price.

Not to mention it is going to be hard to get them for a better price from somebody that has poured 20k into the collection and is seemingly tired of the game and is trying to mitigate their loss.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
And the same question for you? Do you know Magic?
I guess not, since that Magic has nothing to do with a bubble.
Are you just going to keep arguing until someone tells you this is a great idea?

This is a great idea. A solid score. Bet the farm.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Most of us are totally desensitized to the real risk borrowing creates, which is substantial. You need to get paid for that.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know magic cards.
I own magic cards.
One of my buddies opened up the best board game store in my city focusing heavily on magic cards.

I would still not take this deal.

You are going into debt on a $16k purchase for a max potential upside of $4k. That's retarded in my eyes.

If you had a business, were doing well, and had some "throw-around investment/hobby funds" - then yes, that makes a lot of sense. You enjoy it, could make a bit of scratch, it would be fun, and you'd have the money to lose. Sure. Go nuts.

But a $4k upside + debt + uncertainty = I wouldn't even consider it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Although. We just told him how to go about this with zero risk and no finance charges.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.