The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ebola in the USA... Anyone Concerned?

D

DeletedUser394

Honest question: What is the benefit of following every minute detail of this, or anything else that an individual has no control over?

If one is concerned, they can take relevant precautions like frequent hand washing/sanitizing, staying out of large crowds, not traveling to hotspots, etc?

I'm seeing otherwise rational individuals react out of an irrational fear over something they have absolutely no control over. Just as I saw during the past 3 or 4 pandemic scares that didn't amount to much.

It took many months for it to hit 8,000 infections in 3 countries with some of the worst health care infrastructure on planet earth. Even now, it's only doubling at a rate of 4 weeks or so.

Counter that with any western, top tier health system (for all it's problems, US healthcare is among the best in the world, no doubt about it).

I fully expect there to be pockets of ebola in the USA, and many other western countries. It happens. In past outbreaks of various diseases the response has been met appropriately. Some mistakes are always going to be made, but there really is no comparison between the infrastructure of Guinea and that of the USA.

Nigeria handled their ebola cases appropriately and in a timely manner. No disrespect to Nigeria, but facilities in the west are heads and shoulders above their own. If Nigeria can handle it, America can as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Honest question: What is the benefit of following every minute detail of this, or anything else that an individual has no control over?
Ah, a most excellent question. And I agree 100%. You're absolutely right, of course.

I guess for me, it's like a slow-motion train-wreck, and I find it nearly impossible to look away. Part of my morbid fascination comes from the fact I used to do P.R. work for the government, and it's an interesting case study. But I definitely should look away. Happily, I'm still making my word counts and not spending nearly as much time on this as it would seem. Thank goodness! Watching this stuff unfold could easily become a full-time job.

If you follow the doom-and-gloom types, many of them spend their whole lives obsessing about the next disaster and forget to actually live their lives. Yours is a good reminder of that this is no way to live. :)

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

That's exactly what I mean.
Bring me Ebola at home and then maybe I will start to worry :p

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I've always felt that by the time the government has notified you of something, it's too late.

I hope they can contain this but by the looks of everything that's happened so far, it doesn't look like it.

Should I start purchasing water & canned food in bulk? :/

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas

If one is concerned, they can take relevant precautions like frequent hand washing/sanitizing, staying out of large crowds, not traveling to hotspots, etc?

I'm seeing otherwise rational individuals react out of an irrational fear over something they have absolutely no control over. Just as I saw during the past 3 or 4 pandemic scares that didn't amount to much.

It took many months for it to hit 8,000 infections in 3 countries with some of the worst health care infrastructure on planet earth. Even now, it's only doubling at a rate of 4 weeks or so.

Counter that with any western, top tier health system (for all it's problems, US healthcare is among the best in the world, no doubt about it).

I fully expect there to be pockets of ebola in the USA, and many other western countries. It happens. In past outbreaks of various diseases the response has been met appropriately. Some mistakes are always going to be made, but there really is no comparison between the infrastructure of Guinea and that of the USA.

Nigeria handled their ebola cases appropriately and in a timely manner. No disrespect to Nigeria, but facilities in the west are heads and shoulders above their own. If Nigeria can handle it, America can as well.

The key word here is infrastructure.

In countries like the US or UK where a person can pop on a subway, an airplane, or just drive to the next city in a few minutes, we would spread the infection much faster and further than a country like Liberia. So while we do have better healthcare we would also experience a faster infection rate.

Besides that, already there are healthcare workers in Spain who are refusing to show up to work out of fear they will contract Ebola. This can also happen in the US. What happens when key people don’t show up to do their jobs? A loss of even 25% of our workers due to fear can have devastating consequences.

Think about firefighters, police, and even grocery store clerks.

The average grocery store has food and water on hand for about 48 hours. Now imagine a neighborhood is experiencing just a few Ebola infections.

What could happen? Well, people might want to stock up so they can camp out in their homes, wait out the outbreak. Grocery store employees might not want to work because they too want to remain indoors, and now you have an above average amount of shoppers versus a below average amount of employees. The police may be short handed. This is just one example.

Bottom line, people on this thread expressing concern about the Ebola outbreak probably aren’t concerned with contracting Ebola themselves, Ebola is not the threat to them. Failing or stressed infrastructure and other people are the threat.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

Since this disease is spread by individual people, it makes sense that individual people can control how it is spread. This does not mean that they will, but given recent historical precedent, it would seem to be in everyone's best interest.

For example.

Less than 100 years ago a pandemic infected 500 million people, and killed 50+ million. More died than in the "Great War" that was just wrapping up. 20% of the world's population was infected, and 10% of the infected died. That was before the era of border-less nations, mass immigration, and mass transit.

Most people do not want to die, and there is a definite chance many people could die if there was an Ebola pandemic. That's why people are paying attention. No one knows yet what the chance is, but the present growth rate is a cause for alarm. I remember when AIDS was called "GRID", this mysterious disease that mostly killed gay men. Today, about 34 million people have AIDS.

The one thing people are certain of, is that governments are doing a horrible job of handling the situation. They want to assure people there is no reason to panic, to the point they are willing to lie. When their lies are exposed, people assume that they should panic.

Human's have been worrying about the future since the advent of seasonal weather. Ebola is a threat, and we see it. We will watch it until we do not consider it an imminent threat. If Ebola has a sigmoidal growth rate, like AIDS did, then when the growth rate slows, they will probably be able to predict when the infection rate will peak. It took AIDS about 10 years for the infection rate to stabilize.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Ebola will go the way of every other disease (besides AIDS) now that it has hit America. The only reason AIDS is still around is because it copies itself deep within a person's cells which makes it virtually impossible to destroy/vaccinate against. There will be an Ebola vaccine now that there are so many people they can sell it to. They will give out "free" vaccines to Africa, but in the end it's all about money. The Ebola vaccine is now the golden ticket for the first company to come up with a mostly safe and highly effective vaccine.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
My firehouse covers the largest Liberian population in the entire country - The Park Hill projects (The home of Wu-Tang). That's mostly what we have been training on the last couple weeks.

Every time we get a call to that area I get a little nervous. Not fun.

G

Guest3722A

My firehouse covers the largest Liberian population in the entire country - The Park Hill projects (The home of Wu-Tang). That's mostly what we have been training on the last couple weeks.

Every time we get a call to that area I get a little nervous. Not fun.

"The system" is a bite in the a$$ sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
so Ebola is only spread through exchange of body fluids??? Well so is AIDS and I dont see any doctors/nurses wearing Hazmat suits dealing with AIDS patients

bingo. if anything people are not worried enough. it is still very easy to buy all types of prepper things on amazon, etc right now

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
bingo. if anything people are not worried enough. it is still very easy to buy all types of prepper things on amazon, etc right now

AIDS and Ebola are much different. If someone with AIDS sneezes, you ain't getting AIDS. If an Ebola patient barely sweats close to you, there is a pretty decent risk you are going to get Ebola.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
that's the #1 reason ANYONE here trusting the government should STFU. You can easily click on the source patent link and see THEY have the IP on many versions of the EBOLA virus itself. repeat..the virus, not the Vaccine or solution

They do so because viruses are (somehow!) patentable. You don't want a private company to own the virus and stop/delay research on the virus itself. CDC patents it, and any company can work on it.

D

DeletedUser394

They do so because viruses are (somehow!) patentable. You don't want a private company to own the virus and stop/delay research on the virus itself. CDC patents it, and any company can work on it.

no no, it's a conspiracy engineered by big brother.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

so if I go do the research I will find that every virus has been patented by the CDC?

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
No. You will find many viruses patented to many entities, including CDC and non-American entities.
I believe that this is the patent of the HIV virus : http://www.google.com/patents/US4647773

I've never heard of anyone patenting real potentially EVIL and Harmful VIRUSES before this is my first. It only reinforces how f'd up our medical system is though

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
I've never heard of anyone patenting real potentially EVIL and Harmful VIRUSES before this is my first. It only reinforces how f'd up our medical system is though

It's not a matter of the medical system (which, by the way, I can't stand). It's a matter of protecting science through patents. I might add that too often this "protection" doesn't work as it should.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
It's not a matter of the medical system (which, by the way, I can't stand). It's a matter of protecting science through patents. I might add that too often this "protection" doesn't work as it should.

there is simply one thing that should never be allowed to be patented: viruses destructive to humanity. and yet there it is

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
there is simply one thing that should never be allowed to be patented: viruses destructive to humanity. and yet there it is

why not? nuclear weapons are patentable, and they are potentially more destructive than any virus.
The problem is that you see the virus, while the patent sees and protects the science behind the virus. Just to discover a virus there is a LOT of research that is needed, probably more than we can imagine. To discover how the virus works, there is even more science. To discover how to beat the crap out of it with a vaccine, there is an incredible amount of science to do. Research is not a charity, a lot of investment is necessary, and a ROI is necessary. Whoever thinks the opposite is thinking about the North Korean system, which didn't really produce that many vaccines.
No, it's not nice, I would love free vaccines and free research. But the world ain't utopia.
And patents exist to protect science.

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
Soon they will force every american to be vaccine against Ebola. Another immunization for children ...it will be the 27 th (before age 3)..
In the meantime 1/68 children are born with autism. Plus more sickness, ADHD, ADD, bipolar disorder...
Pharmaceutical companies are evil.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Soon they will force every american to be vaccine against Ebola. Another immunization for children ...it will be the 27 th (before age 3)..
In the meantime 1/68 children are born with autism. Plus more sickness, ADHD, ADD, bipolar disorder...
Pharmaceutical companies are evil.

Seriously!? This has been widely debunked for years. It's complete bullshit. There is 0 correlation. If you aren't vaccinating your children, you are part of the problem- you allow these diseases to pop up again and perhaps mutate into more potent strains, infecting those of us who understand that organizations like pharmaceutical companies can't be broken down into black/white (good/evil.)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...tism-vaccines-mccarthy-view-medicine-science/
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism/
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/
http://www.autismsciencefoundation.org/autismandvaccines.html <--- THIS ONE IS RIGHT OFF THE AUTISM SCIENCE FOUNDATION'S WEBSITE
http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/final-nail-coffin-vaccine-autism-myth/

The reason more children weren't diagnosed with ADHD, autism, or bipolar disorder 100 years ago is because doctors and medical researchers at the time were unaware of the existence of them. Please. Why don't we start lobotomizing again? How about trying to "beat the gay gene" out of people? Got any more out-of-date medical practices we should start using again?

Let's get back to the topic at hand. I, and I'm sure most others, have no interest in debating a study that was found false, with conclusive evidence, a decade ago.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
why not? nuclear weapons are patentable, and they are potentially more destructive than any virus.
The problem is that you see the virus, while the patent sees and protects the science behind the virus. Just to discover a virus there is a LOT of research that is needed, probably more than we can imagine. To discover how the virus works, there is even more science. To discover how to beat the crap out of it with a vaccine, there is an incredible amount of science to do. Research is not a charity, a lot of investment is necessary, and a ROI is necessary. Whoever thinks the opposite is thinking about the North Korean system, which didn't really produce that many vaccines.
No, it's not nice, I would love free vaccines and free research. But the world ain't utopia.
And patents exist to protect science.

Wow- You are actually excusing that the cdc itself patented ebola viruses without questioning the fact its now been unleashed on people in a relatively big way. Lets recap- the cdc likely owns the virus because it and its team created it

Morality check isle 7

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Wow- You are actually excusing that the cdc itself patented ebola viruses without questioning the fact its now been unleashed on people in a relatively big way. Lets recap- the cdc likely owns the virus because it and its team created it

Morality check isle 7

Ebola has been traced back 20,000,000 years...

silverspirit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 7, 2013
Dorset, UK and Brussels, Belgum
Too much news, too many speculations, very few facts. Most of all this noise goes in function of pharmaceutical companies making billions. Haven't you noticed that every 1-2 years the world is completely shaken from the roots by a new never-heard-before virus?

In the last 6-7 years:
-Mad Cow
-Chicken Flu
-SARS
-H1N1
-etc etc.
-Ebola

Where are all of them now? I guess if it isn't in the news it isn't happening!
While it's okay to be aware, you can't possibly know if the person sitting next to you right this moment has Ebola or not.
One less thing to worry about.

..they didn't even keep 1 dose? I find this excuse too funny...

There is a super successful guy I used to do business with in the UK, when the mad cow epidemic hit he "somehow" got a tip that the government was having a hard time finding ex railroad sleepers to burn the slaughtered Cows, due to the fact that any effected herd where culled and where not allowed to be moved of the farm. Because wooded ex railroad sleepers are impregnated with tar they burned very very hot and long so perfect for the job, so he took action and found 1 million used sleepers in Russia made a deal for £5 each delivered to the UK then phoned a contact in the government and sold the whole lot for £22 each! Apparently it took him 3 days to find the sleepers and complete the deal with the government so in 3 days he made £17 million or around 27 million Dollars profit.... Now that's FAST LANE!!

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Morality check isle 7

edit: I need to be nicer. "interesting" opinion good sir. Carry on

Last edited by a moderator:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
The UN says we have 60 days or it's game over.

"The UN says the Ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan."

http://news.sky.com/story/1352857/sixty-days-to-beat-ebola-united-nations-warns

I usually don't care for Stephan Molyneux, but he does a good job of summarizing what is going wrong in Africa:

Game over:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

"The UN says the Ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan."

I'm genuinely curious- did you actually read that article or are you just reposting the headline like everyone on social media has been today? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I have seen that headline like half a dozen times already and nobody actually discusses the content of the article.

First, if you're gonna fear-monger, fear-monger correctly. We don't have 60 days. We have 47 days. As stated in the article, that "60 days" report was from October 1st.

Second, that article wasn't entirely bad news. There are reports that the virus is being contained within the same districts of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea, which may be an indication that the virus is slowing down and burning itself out.

Now on a semi-related good news note- the nurse in Dallas has had her condition bumped up to "good".

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas

I usually don't care for Stephan Molyneux, but he does a good job of summarizing what is going wrong in Africa:

Game over:

Yeah. I jumped in. I bought the N100 masks and some gloves and some more water. I have a low level of confidence in the government, and a low level of confidence in people not being idiots so - I guess I've officially joined the paranoid.

Since I sell on eBay and Amazon I can resell the masks if I change my mind or else sit on them til the next scary spreadable something is going around.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.