The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you use adblock+?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
If so, do you feel like an a**hole for nullifying someone else's business model?

Do you consider it stealing?

I sometimes wonder if I should turn it off... but it just makes the web so much more enjoyable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I use Adblock and have absolutely no problem using it. There are a few sites that I have it turned off on and this forum is one of them. So, you can always set the settings to pause for certain sites.

If so, do you feel like an a**hole for nullifying someone else's business model?

The way I see it advertisers should be aware that people use extensions like adblock to block ads and should take that into account. I'm not a big fan of "push" marketing. I know you will hear people, including MJ, that like to see these ads to know what people are doing (research) and that they might come across something interesting they would not have known if it wasn't for those ads. I agree that those are great reasons for not blocking ads as I will do that on occasion as well. I just prefer to do on my own terms vs it being forced on me.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I use Adblock+ on Firefox. I don't feel the least bit bad for it. Ads slow down my browsing experience. Even before I became an INSIDERS I never saw an ad on Fastlane Forum while on FF.

I don't believe I'm stealing from anybody. If I don't see the ad, I can't be sold to, therefore I'm a bad lead. Should bad leads not be allowed to use the Internet? Should people who are NOT prone to buy shit on the Internet be prohibited from browsing free content? Should I not be allowed to walk outside just because I don't look at billboards?

(My Chrome does not use AdBlock because Chrome is the browser I use for Facebook. I like seeing Facebook ads so I can understand exactly how I'm being marketed to. It's passive education, I guess.)

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I disable it on sides with non intrusive ads like this site, reddit and others, but there are sites where you basically need it to be able to scroll without clicking on a shitton of popups.

klh6686

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 12, 2007
Ga
I use it and feel sorry for anyone that would get upset about the fact that I use it.

Fact of the matter is that I don't click ads, and a view is only worth .0001 cent anyways if that. I will find out about a valuable product through an article that i read in a related industry or through a friend or through other means than an ad.

If someone has a website whose income is purely advertising, perhaps they should build something with actual value that can be sold.

jrodriguez90

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2012
Colombia
i used to have it installed, but then i realized hehe i'm in the advertising market, and i need to see what is outhere, benchamarking and all of that.

I've discovered amazing things through those ads, and yes, there are some places you wish you can punch the owner in the face for ruining your browsing.

Nothing is FREE, so if you want some FREE stuff, just deal with the "price", imagine you are the website owner (no the one you want to punch his face, a decent guy) how would you feel if you are working you a$$ and getting some great content outhere and getting nothing back?

it's all about balance.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
No, have you looked at the permissions they require? I believe it is adblock that they themselves then track all of your internet activity and so forth.

Call me paranoid but no thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.