The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Choosing a new PDA cell phone?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
There are too many phones to pick from & it's driving me nuts! :)

I'm needing to buy a new phone in the next week or 2, and am trying to decide between the Blackjack, the Blackberry, or maybe even the I-Phone....

I've played with the Blackberry, and while it seems very easy to use, etc -- I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a real internet browser on it. Seems like one of those hacky mobile browsers... I haven't played with the Blackjack at all, but I understand it's similar -- except it has access to the 3G highspeed wireless network, which is a lot faster than what the Blackberry provides....

And then there's the Iphone, which can access Wifi -- and has a real internet browser.

Anybody have any preferences?

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Pearl is my preference or Iphone for dire net use.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
my phone of choice has been the treo. the new ones have wifi also, high speed internet and a proper browser. i like the email tech on the treo better than blackberry, but that's just a personal preference. if you want the best overall functionality, i wouldn't blame you for going with an iphone. the only detraction i have on the iphone is the lack of a real keyboard. if you do a lot of email or texting, i bet you'll find the iphone slowing you down. i don't care about multimedia so for me the iphone is a little overkill in the wrong areas. the treo is all business.

for me, my next purchase is going to be a nokia pda with wifi and a data card from sprint; i'm skipping the phone altogether and making voip calls. as long as the new sprint high speed network keeps up with voice calls, that's what i'm going to do. i've heard it works famously. i dont' think this is a good solution if you talk a lot, but i do 80% of my correspondence on email and online, so it makes sense for me.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Also, if you're a power user and really need a pro-level phone, I don't think you'll end up liking the blackjack.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I'm sympathetic to your plight. There are SO many phones. It's sick. I played with a few but just landed on the treo and never looked back. time is valuable. nothing is perfect. if you want a solid phone that will serve you well and you don't want to waste your time obsessing over it, just keep it simple and get a treo or a blackberry, they are the big ones. cant' go wrong with either of those. play with those two and pick your favorite. done.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
First, I'm a fan of Windows Mobile devices (I used to work closely with the WinMo team when I was at Microsoft), so normally I'd be biased towards the Blackjack, but...

I actually really don't like the device for a number of reasons:

- The UI is horrible...it takes way too clicks to do some basic stuff

- The battery life is horrible

- The device is slow, compared to other similar devices (Blackberry, Treo, iPhone)

I used to be a big Blackberry fan (I gave it up when I quit my job last month), but haven't played with any of the new devices recently, so I don't know how they compare.

Everyone I know loves their Treo, btw...

Personally, I plan to get an iPhone in the next couple weeks...I love the interface, it has all the features I need, and the price point is approaching reasonable.

All that said, phones are a very personal thing, so make sure you play around with something before you buy it...

yeah the blackjack has all the right features, but it just doesn't perform. it's a lot less expensive, thus it's not too surprising the the IU blows and it's real slow. it will work for anyone who wants a "cool" phone, but if you need to rip through 100 emails or need to do anything intensive, it will disappoint.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'd probably go with the iPhone if you do a lot of internet browsing. I know a few people who have it and they love it.

If you can wait, I believe there is a new Blackberry coming out this summer -- the Bold.

It will have WiFi, but I still think the browser will probably be a step below the iPhone's.

I'm not a fan of the Blackjack, so it'd be between the iPhone and the Blackberry for me (probably the Bold if you can wait). If you go with the Blackberry, I'd recommend the Curve or the 8800 over the Pearl, as the Pearl is pretty small and kind of inconvenient for heavy-duty working.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the release has been pushed back to 3rd Quarter of '08. :*

Last edited:

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Oh I forgot to mention as others have about the iphone keyboard. It doesn't have one, it's all digital, and I hate typing on it. But for browsing, it can't be beat currently.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Oh I forgot to mention as others have about the iphone keyboard. It doesn't have one, it's all digital, and I hate typing on it. But for browsing, it can't be beat currently.

Yeh that's definitely a concern of mine too... I do a lot of texting / emailing, etc -- and the blackberry's keyboard seems the best to me so far. The browsing seems a little slow, so that's the main reason I was considering the blackjack -- the 3G highspeed network... but if the BJ2 is a toy and not a workhorse, then I won't be going with that model... I haven't looked at the Treo yet, but I will -- thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
My 2 cents are that it doesn't really matter to have the fanciest phone. In two months time there is something fancier on the market whilst you are bound to a 24 month contract and lot of software bugs.

I do like to have specialized gadgets for each task. A phone or PDA that does everything just 50% fails at everything. If I want to take photos, I don't use a phone. Internet browsing or videos on such a small device is no fun on the long run. Even on the iPhone which I tried several days. I use phones for - surprise - communication. So an adress database and maybe email reading is all it needs as additional features.

Writing longer text is also not convenient on PDAs or phones. Neither the small blackberry nor the virtual iPhone keyboard is really helpful. (Btw in the late nineties I used the Palm Pilot graffity system a lot. Fancy at that time but very annoying). If I want to remember something or want to take notes, I record speech messages and thats it.

I know many people that became addicted to blackberries and the illusion of permanent and total control. I cannot understand why they let such a device dictate their worklife. Every message and every email cries for their attention. Reading and answering even small messages takes time and distracts from current tasks. It is so much time consuming and you don't really acchieve more. People loose time with it instead of gaining time and/or productivity.

Beware :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
For some handling buisness' on their own it helps to keep track of everything and keep it moving on the go. I get orders and questions, its nice to be able to correspond where ever. Esp with orders, i can get a heads up on what i need todo when i get back while im out, if i need to pick something up along the way i already know ahead of time. Besides email and calendar, my blackberry is good for the calculator. nothing else i really use. however i did use a new sprint PDA last night that had talking navigation just like one for the car. that was an awesome awesome feature. Esp if you are in someone elses car, they have no navigation and you need to find something. Look up the address on the browser, put it into the nav and find your way their very easily.

I see the new black berry that Yankees posted looked like a perfect medium of that sprint motorola capabilities and hopefully reliability of RIM products. Because i think Moto phones are total junk personally.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My Blackberry has navigation. It is very useful when travelling. It is an extra $10/month but turns out to be useful for me. The map on the screen is not great but the voice directions are helpful.

I have a service with t-mobile that is very useful to me. I get unlimited calls on WiFi for $10/month and unlimited web usage for $20. Since I make most of my calls out of my home office, my minutes are significantly reduced. My bill with the Blackberry is cheaper than I used to pay for a large minute allocation.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I have been through 2 Iphones, best friend just got his second one back from warranty. Avoid at all costs.

Blackberry fast, browser is good enough to get any info you need, curve has the camera which is decent, and push email.

Wait 2 months and get the Blackberry Bold it will destroy the 3G iphone.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
8820... No camera but I don't really use that feature much in a phone.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My Blackberry has navigation. It is very useful when travelling. It is an extra $10/month but turns out to be useful for me. The map on the screen is not great but the voice directions are helpful.
Oh yeah, and her voice is very sweet :D

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
iPhone and Blackberry curve are the two best I've used

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
My only gripe with the iphone is a lack of copy and paste. I constantly seem to use copy and paste on my blackberry.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Too bad ATT rate plans suck.

Yeh I know. I get a 35% company discount with them on my bill, and a 50% discount on equipment -- otherwise I wouldn't use em.

- Hakrjak

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, currently I'm on the Sprint SERO plan. It's great!

There just isn't any substitute for the new iphone.. I can't find a phone with a similar browser? Is there?

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
I bought a blackjackII and traded it in for an iphone and haven't turned back (ATT lets you swap out a phone for 30 days - sort of a full exchange program). I'd suspect if you are really heavy on emailing then perhaps a blackberry might be a good option. However; if you are typing long emails/texts then a phone isn't the best appliance to do that with anyway.

Good luck..

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I went to lunch with my brother yesterday after we picked up some school supplies. During lunch, we were talking about iPhones. Turns out, my brother's friend got the new 3G iPhone a few months ago and still had his old one. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and I wound up getting it for $40 (w/o even having to negotiate!).

Although I have Verizon -- and even an unlocked iPhone is incompatible with their service -- my iPod broke a few weeks ago, so for $40, I still have an 8 GB iPod Touch with iPhone capabilities should I ever switch to AT&T. I think I might just sell it for $300-350 on eBay, though. Not sure yet.

Oh, and the iPhone is AMAZING. Every second I use it I wish I had AT&T more and more.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I need to get a more advanced cell phone than my ancient flip phone. I want to be able to send and receive emails(synchronized with laptop), text, phone calls, still camera, daily planner w/ reminders, and occasional internet.

Not concerned with video, music vids, or watching TV. I am real bad about not recharging the battery. I am a PC guy but open to the Iphone if it will coordinate with my PC.

My provider will be ATT and I am open to suggestions. Anyone want to share the pros/cons of their PDA's?
:ears:

SweetJones

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
May 1, 2009
You cannot go wrong with the Blackberry Bold from AT&T. Solid phone all the way through. Just like computers, there are other browsers you can use, just like IE and Firefox, you aren't limited to what comes with the handset. I'd use wirefly or amazon to pick up the handset, usually $100+ cheaper than the actual store.:urock2:

Colbehh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 7, 2008
Runum, you might want to check out the ATT Fuze, I have it and like it. It has Windows Mobile and has just about every feature you can think of for a phone. The only issue I have with it as if you begin putting many programs on there it seems to bog the phone down a bit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.