The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Idea

Idea threads

KyleK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum, but would love to get some feedback from others on a few ideas I have. I am 20 years old and am currently in college and want to get some real experience running a business. I particularly would love to start a business offline. I have a few ideas, but I am not exactly sure what I want to do. I have done landscape work in the past (with myself as the only worker), but I don't see this expanding into a business. I have about 5k to invest and would love any ideas or opinions on my idea...

Idea: Start a Mulch delivery/Installation service for clients in my current area.... Then expand.

I talked to a major mulch distributor and can get mulch for about $18 a yard. I would charge between $45-50 to install each yard into a persons yard. I would need to hire a few employees at $10-12 per hour but ultimately the profit is there... I could set up a website, SEO the crap out of it, and get rankings for (South Carolina Mulch) - Where I live.. Then ultimately set up an autoresponder or something where clients can book when they want the job done, or just keep there lead for a later time.. This was just a brief idea. The issue is that mulch is not a year round business. (I don't think). I keep trying to think through what type of offline business I can start with 5k or less and am running into some trouble. I want to have a lucrative business and I am willing to do whatever it takes to outperform everyone else on every level. I do not want to recreate the wheel, I just want to take someones existing process and kick their a$$ in it.

Anyways, I would love to have any feedback, or anyone who has any opinions or ideas.

Thank you,

Kyle Kerney.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Hey Kyle! Have you ever thought about a pressure cleaning business? You charge by the area you clean and you can easily get a pressure washer from $300-1k.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

KyleK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 2, 2015
Hey Kyle! Have you ever thought about a pressure cleaning business? You charge by the area you clean and you can easily get a pressure washer from $300-1k.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I have considered. Are you familiar with anyone who does this? Any recommendations on how to get started?

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
I have considered. Are you familiar with anyone who does this? Any recommendations on how to get started?

Print flyers advertising your service. Put them on car windshields in neighborhoods and supermarkets. Go door to door. Make sales. Make appointments. Rent a pressure washer. Do the service. Break even or make a few bucks. Get referrals. Do again this time you'll make a little more because you'll have more clients to use the rented equipment on. Repeat business. More referral. Buy some of your own equipment instead of renting. Build a website. SEO. Adwords. Facebook Ads. More business. More referrals. Hire staff. Expand.

KyleK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 2, 2015
Print flyers advertising your service. Put them on car windshields in neighborhoods and supermarkets. Go door to door. Make sales. Make appointments. Rent a pressure washer. Do the service. Break even or make a few bucks. Get referrals. Do again this time you'll make a little more because you'll have more clients to use the rented equipment on. Repeat business. More referral. Buy some of your own equipment instead of renting. Build a website. SEO. Adwords. Facebook Ads. More business. More referrals. Hire staff. Expand.
Are you familiar with pressure washing? Do you think it would be a better option rather then a mulch/landscape service?

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Do you think it would be a better option rather then a mulch/landscape service?
It doesn't matter what you do, as long as there is a need for it.
What matters is how you do it.

What I don't understand, why would you stop landscaping and start mulching?
When I worked as a landscaper, mulch was part of our service.

KyleK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 2, 2015
It doesn't matter what you do, as long as there is a need for it.
What matters is how you do it.

What I don't understand, why would you stop landscaping and start mulching?
When I worked as a landscaper, mulch was part of our service.
The reason is this: I don't have the money to buy a trailer, equipment, ECT. The more I think about it... The more I like the Pressure washing idea for a few reasons:
-I have the capital
-I can start small
-I can reinvest profits to grow company larger.

Whenever I think of starting a business, I always think; is this something that can make me very wealthy if I put the work into it? I just don't know of many "Pressure washing millionaires"... Im sure there are though.

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
Are you familiar with pressure washing? Do you think it would be a better option rather then a mulch/landscape service?

I am not personably familiar but I have a friend do this exact process (obviously my post is simplified) 20 years ago and now they run a half-million dollar+ per year multi-op business.

It's all about the hustle. To me, it doesn't matter if you do landscaping, power washing, or dog poop cleanup. If you hustle and you put in the time and effort required, you WILL be successful.

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO

KyleK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 2, 2015

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Shouldn't be too hard to get into this. However, do realize its extremely saturated with competition, which is good in alot of ways, because it means there is a huge swarm of people fighting for money that exists. But really its about the marketing of your business via fliers, cards, word of mouth. Being from south carolina myself, i know lawn care etc is a huge business. I wouldn't focus too hard on online marketing because I have doubts that many people would look online for someone to get mulch put in their yard. However, a website could generate a few leads here and there, its just not where you should focus your time. Door to door is far better for what you're supplying.

Once you get enough clients to sustain a few employees, its really about expanding your clientele as fast as possible. I would also suggest going for businesses such as Bi-lo, piggly wiggly, chick-fil-a and other local businesses that like to keep their parking lots looking fresh (straw/mulch/trimming bushes). From the lawn service company i knew, they had contracts with all the major factories, grocery stores, banks, and schools generating majority of their revenue.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.