The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bringing my first Android app to market - The process

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Cool winning design... best wishes to you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks

logo_512.jpg

Coming soon... :hammertime:

I'm glad I went through 99designs. it's nice being able to talk to a bunch of designers and tell them how you want the designs tweaked and re-tweaked after more ideas flow.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I started working on a website. Haven't spent much time on it yet but I'll share anyways. I'm not 100% decided on this name but figured I'd buy the domain and put something on it.

Condition Delta

Apps coming along. It's pretty buggy still and needs a lot more work but it's getting there.

EDIT: website taken down for potential fraud. I used a new host and I guess they didn't like me accessing the site from multiple ip's around the world? Need to send in some info in the morning to get it reactivated,

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I got the 2nd update on my app a couple of days ago. It still needs a lot of work but progress is being made. I sent my Dev a long list of changes that need to be made and he was happy with the direction I gave him so hopefully I'll see a better product a few days from now.

I got an idea (from reading this forum) for another app yesterday and I sent it off to a few Developers. The idea wasn't for an app but I turned it into one. No response yet. I had something planned out for my 2nd app but I'm going to run with this new idea. It's in the business category and is pretty much a business or way to generate money in an app. It could be successful or flop..I think there's a market for it so I'll push forward.

I make "a lot" of money at my current job but I have no time or source of income other then working. It's time to change that. So I have 1 app in production, 1 idea sent out to Devs, and 1 more that I need to start mapping out. I'm aiming for singles here and not homeruns but 2 out of the 3 ideas have proven to be 6 figure earners. I'll be trying to grab a portion of that while making improvements and adding features.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
From your last post, my suggestion is maybe hold off on apps 2 and 3. Nothing wrong with planning them out and getting them ready to go but maybe focus on just one now. That's how I'm doing it. Instead of spending a lot of time on my next ones, I focusing a lot on marketing. Bad apps have made a lot because of good marketing, do a good app with good marketing will be huge.

Just my 2 cents.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
From your last post, my suggestion is maybe hold off on apps 2 and 3. Nothing wrong with planning them out and getting them ready to go but maybe focus on just one now. That's how I'm doing it. Instead of spending a lot of time on my next ones, I focusing a lot on marketing. Bad apps have made a lot because of good marketing, do a good app with good marketing will be huge.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not writing the code myself so getting another one going isn't a huge time consumer. My first app isn't an app you'll read about on many blogs. I may pay for a post but the app isn't totally original so I doubt running around and contacting blogs will get me very far. People are already searching for my app so when it shows up in the search results I plan on taking some market share. A simple strategy and it will be a learning experience if nothing else. I'll be doing some marketing but I do not see having a 2nd app in developers hands slowing my efforts down.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Quick update -It's taking a little longer than I thought it would. Sorting out bugs across multiple devices takes time. I guess that's one benefit when developing for iOS.

I held off on the 2nd app. I awarded the job to a company but after explaining what I wanted multiple times over several days I still didn't feel they completely understood what I was going for. I cancelled the job and I'll give the details to my current developer once my first app is completed.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Interesting that you decided not to develop for ios as well, the same application i mean. Was it the price for developing too high, or are you planning to see how it performs on android before releasing it for ios as well?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Interesting that you decided not to develop for ios as well, the same application i mean. Was it the price for developing too high, or are you planning to see how it performs on android before releasing it for ios as well?
Nothing to do with cost. I don't even know if this app would get approved on iOS. My 2nd app might be a contender for iOS but I haven't thought about it too much. I'll consider it once I get there. I'm not a fan of Apple and I'd rather stick with Android though but personal feelings aside I'll release on iOS if or when I think it would be best for the business.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks. I'll look into it when the time comes. My first app is a highly searched for market proven app that I've added and additional feature to. The plan is to take some market share and get my feet wet. It's not meant for iOS

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks. I'll look into it when the time comes. My first app is a highly searched for market proven app that I've added and additional feature to. The plan is to take some market share and get my feet wet. It's not meant for iOS

Right, I was just helping on #2 :)

I love your optimism; where most people would shy away from all of the competition, you are excited about it. I like the logo as well. Good luck man.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Right, I was just helping on #2 :)

I love your optimism; where most people would shy away from all of the competition, you are excited about it. I like the logo as well. Good luck man.
Thanks. Easier to sell into a proven market then it is to make a market. Odds of receiving a ROI are higher and less chance that it will flop. Competition also gives me something to learn from. If you make an app that flops and it receives very few downloads you don't lean a whole lot from it except not to do that again. We'll see. High hopes but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. A $200 a month app is a success but I'm obviously looking to get more downloads than that.

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
Thanks. Easier to sell into a proven market then it is to make a market. Odds of receiving a ROI are higher and less chance that it will flop. Competition also gives me something to learn from. If you make an app that flops and it receives very few downloads you don't lean a whole lot from it except not to do that again. We'll see. High hopes but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. A $200 a month app is a success but I'm obviously looking to get more downloads than that.

i know you don't like apple but you maybe seriously discounting a huge revenue source. i read a study that an ios user is more willing to pay then an android user.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Decided I should show off a bit of my app. Here's 1 feature

Attachments

• 1340808424826.jpg
    1340808424826.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 112

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I had some promotional graphics made. Currently looking for someone to make a video and the dev is finishing up a few things on the app. Almost time for the fun to begin.

option 2 924 400.jpg

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
what does your app do?
It takes screenshots and lets you share and draw on them. What sets mine apart from the rest is you can capture multiple screens and merge them together showing off your entire background. and it has a much nicer interface :)

I just published it a few minutes ago. Now waiting for google to update so I can find it!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
It takes screenshots and lets you share and draw on them. What sets mine apart from the rest is you can capture multiple screens and merge them together showing off your entire background. and it has a much nicer interface :)

I just published it a few minutes ago. Now waiting for google to update so I can find it!

Give me the link when it does, I want to check it out!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Give me the link when it does, I want to check it out!
Will do :icon_super:

I'm hoping it shows up soon. I've read anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Getting late out here but I'd like to see it in the market before I sleep. Looking forward to your feedback! I was going to play around with it for a couple more days but testing it out on one device isn't going to do me a whole lot of good. Better off putting it out there and reacting to the market

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Installed and shared on FB, haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I will shortly!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Installed and shared on FB, haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I will shortly!
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it!

REP for being awesome.

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
congratulations. once my galaxy nexus arrives tomororw, i'll take a look.

please keep us abreasts on the numbers.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Installed on my Evo and Xoom

Is this only for rooted devices? If so, how do u plan to monetize it?
No. It will work immediately if the phone is rooted but if it isn't you need to follow a few steps and run a batch file.

You can download the .bat and get instructions here Screenshot and Draw Android | Condition Delta

I have a free trial and a paid app. The paid app is the method of monetization.

Thanks!

imirza

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jul 29, 2007
Jake - How much did you pay the elance developer to create the app. ? I've been quoted $10-15k for iphone apps in the past which seems a little pricey. $2-3k I can pay. I figure throw 5-10 apps out there and see what works.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Jake - How much did you pay the elance developer to create the app. ? I've been quoted $10-15k for iphone apps in the past which seems a little pricey. $2-3k I can pay. I figure throw 5-10 apps out there and see what works.
$1100. $900 has been paid so far and he's working on a few more things before I release the rest. (Getting it to work on ICS and a few gingerbread phones without root or .bat file) Also fixing bugs as I come across them.

The design work was done separately.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX

I wouldn't just make 5-10 apps and just throw them out and see what happens. Not saying build 1 expensive one, thats not the best idea either. I would build one at first, really focus on what you are doing and how it effects the app for good/bad. Once you get the hang of what works and doesn't, apply it and build another.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.