The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bringing my first Android app to market - The process

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
What ever happened to this?

Btw, I thought you said there was no way to do this without rooting? https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5hbmRyb2lkLnNjcmVlbnNob3RpdGZ1bGxub3Jvb3QiXQ..

I don't have a Droid so I can't test it but looking at the ratings and the download chart, they have made a pretty penny with that.
"This application will instruct you to download and install a free desktop application "

I never said you couldn't do it without rooting. I said if you don't have a rooted phone you need to run a file. This app also uses the same technique.

I was going to update this thread on the 1st if it didn't get bumped before then. Since it did..the app is on the market. The paid app gets a couple downloads a day, hardly spectacular. The free app has gotten a lot of downloads but being free it doesn't bring in the money. Haven't decided on the next step for the app. I'm thinking over a couple of different options.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Oh gotcha. So basically instead of downloading the file on your phone like yours, you do it through your computer?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Oh gotcha. So basically instead of downloading the file on your phone like yours, you do it through your computer?
You don't download it on mine either. it must be done from a computer. if it could be done from the phone that would be great but it can't be. The process trips a lot of people up and many end up having problems unzipping a folder and running a batch file. it is what it is. If I go ahead with my 2nd app I'm going to make it's use as simple as absolutely possible. My focus is kind of on other things at the moment though. I don't know if I'll follow through on my other app idea or not..I'm in the beginning of starting something else.

Getting ranked in the market for a particular keyword turned out to be more difficult than I thought though. That's one lesson learned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
Great job on the app. Too bad people can't follow simple instructions and leave bad feedback. Jeez...
One thing that would worry me though- what if there's a built-in screenshot function in future droid versions?

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I just got a new phone with ICS and you can now take a screenshot pretty easy without a 3rd party app. Right now, most people still use GB so you still have a mkt, but it is shrinking.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Missed these
Great job on the app. Too bad people can't follow simple instructions and leave bad feedback. Jeez...
One thing that would worry me though- what if there's a built-in screenshot function in future droid versions?
As Wado said.. there is. I was (am) fighting against time but I added features that improve upon the basic screenshot function so it is still worth having imo. I thought(think?) that there is enough demand to make it worthwhile.

I just got a new phone with ICS and you can now take a screenshot pretty easy without a 3rd party app. Right now, most people still use GB so you still have a mkt, but it is shrinking.
See above.

Update: I'm looking for a new programmer who can sort out some issues. The app doesn't appear to be working on some devices from the feedback I've been receiving. Doing some testing at .99 but I think $2.99 may be the better price point.

Over 60,000 downloads so there is demand for the app but that demand currently isn't translating into many $'s.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It's been awhile so I thought I'd give an update in case anyone was wondering how this turned out.

My free trial crossed over 100,000 downloads the other day but it's not turning into many $'s..pocket change really. The app needs some work and I don't think it's worth pumping anymore money into it. So, in a nutshell, it does not look like I'll be getting a return on my investment.

The best advice I can give from my experience is if you plan on releasing an Android app find a Developer who has the ability to test it on as many Android devices as possible. This is one benefit I see for developing for iOS.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Just read the whole thread and I think you did a pretty decent job. The only problem was probably that the app was not working on different devices ... Did you ever try putting ads inside the free version of the app?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Just read the whole thread and I think you did a pretty decent job. The only problem was probably that the app was not working on different devices ... Did you ever try putting ads inside the free version of the app?
No, I did not. During my search I didn't find a programmer I wanted to deal with and I don't want to pump much money into it. Good money after bad sort of thing. I still might but it would have to be made to work on the majority or devices for it to be worthwhile and with that will come additional costs. Android users seem to be moving to ICS fairly rapidly so I imagine the downloads may decline sometime in the not too distant future. Still going strong though. I may look at selling it come the new year (tax reasons) and a developer could probably put the downloads to good use if he/she fixed it up. There's got to be a way to make decent money from 1000 or so daily installs. Even if they're just using it to advertise their other apps.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

Unless you have a couple million active users, ad money won't even buy you lunch.

With 100k installs, I would think some enticing IAP's would bring in at least a little pocket change. Also, with 100k downloads (if they are relatively active users) you can create a funnel and promote both other apps and even other products of your not app related, that is my opinion on it.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Unless you have a couple million active users, ad money won't even buy you lunch.

With 100k installs, I would think some enticing IAP's would bring in at least a little pocket change. Also, with 100k downloads (if they are relatively active users) you can create a funnel and promote both other apps and even other products of your not app related, that is my opinion on it.

I have to disagree with you here. There are many different types of ads and some will work with one type of app, while others will work with another one. I just recently found out about this network which actually focuses on android: Airpush - Developers
You can see there the different type of ads they offer. With 100,000 installs Jake would have made anywhere in between 500-1000$ if not more. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing and he would've gotten his invested money back at least.
But you have to do a lot of testing to figure out what works best and what doesn't. I am really surprised to see an app with 100,000 installs make so little money.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks..but that stats don't reflect the amount of $'s coming in my direction. It was a money losing venture.

So what?

You took action and you learned something!

It did not work out this time.... maybe next time it will :) Live and learn!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Figured I'd give this thread a bump.

After about a year of struggling to make the app profitable I decided to sell it. Happy to announce that I ended up making a profitable exit. It was by no means a big win but it's always nice not to lose money :thumbsup:

I sold the app through Apptopia so if anyone has any questions about selling through them feel free to ask here or shoot me a pm.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Figured I'd give this thread a bump.

After about a year of struggling to make the app profitable I decided to sell it. Happy to announce that I ended up making a profitable exit. It was by no means a big win but it's always nice not to lose money :thumbsup:

I sold the app through Apptopia so if anyone has any questions about selling through them feel free to ask here or shoot me a pm.

Do you think that you would have had an easier time making the app profitable if it was on iOS instead of Android? From everything I've seen, people using Apple devices seem more willing to pay a few bucks. Or do you think the app was the problem and you would release on Android again?

I'm considering launching an app myself but am leaning more towards hiring a developer for iOS, despite the $99 annual developer fee, simply because it seems harder to earn revenue from Android (unless you make the next Words With Friends.)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Do you think that you would have had an easier time making the app profitable if it was on iOS instead of Android? From everything I've seen, people using Apple devices seem more willing to pay a few bucks. Or do you think the app was the problem and you would release on Android again?

I'm considering launching an app myself but am leaning more towards hiring a developer for iOS, despite the $99 annual developer fee, simply because it seems harder to earn revenue from Android (unless you make the next Words With Friends.)
No. I don't even know if it would of been approved on iOS.

Most people say it's easier on iOS but it all depends on the app imo. If your idea is a flashlight app you don't have the option to release on iOS because it will get rejected. Whereas it would get approved on Android as an example.

I could see iOS being easier to deal with on some applications which take a great deal of work to get right on the various Android makes / models. It just wasn't really an option for my particular app.

Apple customers are said (actually a fact) to pay for more apps though.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I attempted to post something a few hours ago but it didnt work. I was going to say the following: I actually do this for a living, I make apps and stuff all the time. I am actually trying to finish one to launch with the iOS7 software and work with Apple. So I would be more than willing and honored to work with you on your app. I also do not charge 15k for app and I do both iPhone and Android (and windows, blackberry, google, nooks amazon fire everything) so what ever you need I got. I tend to charge 5-7 for both iOS and Android but can do something cheaper if needed. Message me or reply what ever you are most comfortable with.

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
Jake, thank you for sharing this with the forum - I learned a ton from everyone who contributed to this thread!

Victor Santiago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 21, 2012
I was reading the thread and speaking as a developer myself I think it's quite impressive that you got 100k downloads!:eusa_clap:

Could you tell me more about your marketing strategies or what did you do to get to that number?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I was reading the thread and speaking as a developer myself I think it's quite impressive that you got 100k downloads!:eusa_clap:

Could you tell me more about your marketing strategies or what did you do to get to that number?
Thanks. The trial app crossed over 400k installs before I sold it. The installs didn't convert so I'm not saying that number to brag but to give you an idea of how it all went.

-I picked an app with a feature set and a name (keyword) that millions of people were already looking for.
-I made my icons pretty

I think those two things were by far the largest contributor to the high install rate.

Additional items I did at the very beginning:
-I kickstarted my app with paid downloads and ads (My biggest waste of money but I am not sure how fast I would have ranked otherwise)
-Built and ranked a few websites around my keyword and funneled them to google play
-Released a PR
-Paid an Android blog to review my app (which was absolutely horrible)
-Posted on various forums. Android forums and also others

I gave all this up when the bugs couldn't be resolved. My downloads steadily increased after all marketing efforts were halted though. Google play feeds a serious amount of traffic if you're what people are searching for.

I blew through way to much $ on the initial push. I think the key here is what I said before. Discover what people are searching for(what do they need?), make an attractive app that people want to install, make it awesome.

I failed at the third.

sitemaster

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jun 22, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I end my epic app career with a book

App Idiots: Quick Stop Guide to Save You from Blowing Your Money on Creating an App: Jake Williamson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Are you generating much from your kindle book sales? Great job!! Taking what you learned in this process and turning it into another revenue generator. Congrats on the app sale as well.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Are you generating much from your kindle book sales? Great job!! Taking what you learned in this process and turning it into another revenue generator. Congrats on the app sale as well.
Not much but it is earning more than my app was. It was somewhat of an experiment to see if it would or not. I had gathered some knowledge during the process so I thought I'd may as well monetize that.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 29, 2013
I have an idea for an app that I need to find developers for among a bunch of other things. It's been stressing me out actually. I'm going to check out your book. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.