The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anybody have any advice on finding and landing high end clients?

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
I'm starting a consultancy business, I want to target high end clients ie. people who make 100k/yr+ & have the disposable income to drop 2g's on improving quality of life through coaching and consulting....

so

1. Have any of you guys landed high end clients and want to share how it went or have any advice from their experience?

2. Any of you guys who already have that type of disposable income, would you mind sharing what would influence you personally to pay 2 g's for consultancy... what type of results would you expect? what would influence you to buy? etc.

any perspective on this would be awesome, just no defeatism or negativity... "you can't charge blah blah blah"

im not gonna listen to that, so save yourself the energy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
2. Any of you guys who already have that type of disposable income, would you mind sharing what would influence you personally to pay 2 g's for consultancy

I would want to know your track record of success, both within your own life and through those you have worked with. Documented testimonials. Satisfied clients. Social proof. Tangible evidence. I'd like to know if your $2K fee is actual value, or your perceived warped value which is based upon nothing but a niche marketing plan.

In other words, I wouldn't take millionaire advice from a thousandaire. I would want to make sure that my "coach" is more successful than myself.

any perspective on this would be awesome, just no defeatism or negativity... "you can't charge blah blah blah"

So, if you can't justify your price through actual bonafide value, ratified by actual results and a verifiable track record of execution, you don't want to hear it. In other words, you want to charge a Lamborghini price for a Toyota Corolla and not be told why it wouldn't work ... just rainbows and unicorns.

Got it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I don't think your idea will work. Walk the talk first, then consult.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I would want to know your track record of success, both within your own life and through those you have worked with. Documented testimonials. Satisfied clients. Social proof. Tangible evidence.

^^^ Exactly this. I responded to another of your threads in which I asked about what type of consultancy this would be. Care to share?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think your idea will work. Walk the talk first, then consult.

therebel hasn't indicated whether or not he/she has experience/success in his/her chosen field so I would withhold an opinion on whether it would work or not.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
therebel hasn't indicated whether or not he/she has experience/success in his/her chosen field so I would withhold an opinion on whether it would work or not.

Yeah sure, but judging from his posts so far... I don't think so. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Here's the defeatism and negativity "blah, blah, blah", so you might as well skip ahead. This message is for anyone that wants to understand why your approach won't get you anywhere sucks.

You're clearly not getting the message. Here's the long drawn out secret to making a fortune:

1. People pay for value
When you focus on what you want, you don't focus on providing value. This is the same backwards mindset of every other "I need to get rich" flameout. You talk about what you want to charge like it's the holy grail, yet you can't articulate what value you'll offer. I bet you have no idea yourself. If you did you wouldn't be asking how to get high end clients because:

If you know what value you can provide
then​
  • you know why that value appeals to high end clients
  • you can figure out which high end clients would be interested
  • you can find where those clients are
  • you can offer them that value

Get and read the book. If you don't have the money to buy the book right now, then listen to what everyone here is telling you and stop making it about what you want. Nobody cares. Not us, not any prospective clients. This kind of thinking reminds me of watching someone play World of Warcraft for hours on end. No matter how much you dream yourself making, it's fantasy and takes away time you could be using to actually do something.

Take the clue and start coming up with ways to offer real value. We care about that, and will help you refine it. Will you make bank like you were hoping? Who knows? Frankly it doesn't matter. But you'll be in a much better position than sitting around telling everyone how much you want to make.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Not being defeatist, just realist. High end is not $2k, it is $50k (and maybe that isn't enough). You are 22, I'm A LOT more than that. The chances of me asking you for advice unless you have Secret Entourage type success is less than no chance.

Are there other 20 somethings with disposable income that might work with you? Absolutely. Facebook advertising, Plenty of Fish and others will allow you to target the demographics you are after, but you really have to define what your consulting is.... There are guys out there making $10k+ for pickup advice.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is the original thread owner gonna respond to ANYONE who took time to respond to your questions?

You also ignored everyone who responded to your other thread, not even a nil of thanks.

Or, are we all just here for your benefit?

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Lol woah, I didn't even know if the thread got published yet, easy, I like the fact that people responded but gimmie a second..

Sooooooooo, lets say my experience in this is obviously limited, so my plans and ideas are gonna reflect that, thats to be expected.

but at the same time, I'm admittedly young and dumb which means I'm gonna be more persistent and passionate now than ever, so if it looks like i'm full of piss and vinegar its cuz I am, but It works for me, I fight for what I want.. so scrutiny is welcome, but just expect a little aggression back, I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

Now, As far as my idea, I didn't get into it because you guys specified no idea threads, so I was more so looking for any advertising/lead generation idea's i may not have thought of... I can handle the execution part, and if not, I'll keep at it till I do..

Ok, once upon a time I was extremely shy... I put myself through very hardcore stuff to get through it, including an aggressive sales position that consisted of rejection after rejection after rejection but somewhere along the line something clicked and I learned how to get in a "flow state" ( Flow (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) through getting myself really in the moment and pushing out positive emotions... think of a time you've ever had a REALLY good time with your friends and just everything you said just came out funny and everybody loved it but your not normally that witty or outgoing... I basically learned how to do that on command, but also get into a place mentally where I was the most effective, fully proactive, fully extroverted... the sales floor became like a gym for me..

which taught me how to not just be social, but DOMINATE socially, its hard to explain in words... but I was even able to bring it out of other people... alot of managers had this disciplinarian approach that made sense to THEM but didn't scale in reality, because it just put pressure on employee's and made them too tense to behave in a way that won people over... they had them going in desperate and tense rather than care free and genuine which will 99.9% of the time result in being ineffective... but I could push them and pump them up in a way that didn't pressure them but more antagonized them in a fun way, so like... person who was in the negative after a shift with me would be at like twice their goal for that shift... I was competing with these people but I didn't care, I wanted everyone to do good & I was dominating so much there was a little bit of animosity growing anyway... I was doubling my managers sales with half the hours and it was making them look bad...

might sound a little far out, idk what would wow you guys, but its important to me and something I believe in..

I want to train people how to be more effective with people, in a practical way that they can go out and execute immediately..

the value of this for ME was life changing, I'll do it for free, I mean, the overarching goal here is to create a way to get by, but I mean... I genuinely love doing this... if anyone on here thinks they have room for improvement with people just PM me, I'll show you for free, all u need is an open mind and a good attitude, which im sure most of u have cuz ur on here...

I understand that nobody is gonna see a site about being effective with people and just pull out there credit cards, I'm gonna need proof that I can produce results, I don't have a big coaching resume, so I wanted to do video's showing exactly what I do and how it works... But I'd be happy to take on anyone on here and show them what they can do just for sport..

I can make anyone on here more effective in meetings, public speaking, sales, socially, with the opposite sex, I can show u how to get more engagement and focus from employee's.. god how many managers have I watched beat their employee's into the ground rather than bring the best out of them with just a little flexibility... just a little positive feedback to keep them on task and feeling empowered and in the zone..

its priceless to me, and I know that doesn't mean anything to anyone but I'm gonna find out exactly how it ends up weather anyone on here believes in it or not.

so change that initial statement; defeatism is welcome, bring it..

cuz the bottom line is, this is what I love doing and if you did it, you'd love it too, so all I gotta do is put my money where my mouth is and find the people who can afford me, which im comfortable with... the hustle is my favorite part.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Not being defeatist, just realist. High end is not $2k, it is $50k (and maybe that isn't enough).

Then your lucky your getting a deal.

You are 22, I'm A LOT more than that. The chances of me asking you for advice unless you have Secret Entourage type success is less than no chance.
Which is actually very good realistic feedback and a concern I'd be smart to address, But seeing is believing... if the need is there and you see results, your age wont make a difference.

Are there other 20 somethings with disposable income that might work with you? Absolutely. Facebook advertising, Plenty of Fish and others will allow you to target the demographics you are after, but you really have to define what your consulting is.... There are guys out there making $10k+ for pickup advice.
also good advice.. definitely not a defeatist post, very practical & I appreciate it.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Here's the defeatism and negativity "blah, blah, blah", so you might as well skip ahead. This message is for anyone that wants to understand why your approach won't get you anywhere sucks.

You're clearly not getting the message. Here's the long drawn out secret to making a fortune:

1. People pay for value
When you focus on what you want, you don't focus on providing value. This is the same backwards mindset of every other "I need to get rich" flameout. You talk about what you want to charge like it's the holy grail, yet you can't articulate what value you'll offer. I bet you have no idea yourself. If you did you wouldn't be asking how to get high end clients because:

If you know what value you can provide
then​
  • you know why that value appeals to high end clients
  • you can figure out which high end clients would be interested
  • you can find where those clients are
  • you can offer them that value

Get and read the book. If you don't have the money to buy the book right now, then listen to what everyone here is telling you and stop making it about what you want. Nobody cares. Not us, not any prospective clients. This kind of thinking reminds me of watching someone play World of Warcraft for hours on end. No matter how much you dream yourself making, it's fantasy and takes away time you could be using to actually do something.

Take the clue and start coming up with ways to offer real value. We care about that, and will help you refine it. Will you make bank like you were hoping? Who knows? Frankly it doesn't matter. But you'll be in a much better position than sitting around telling everyone how much you want to make.

I'm not focused on myself....

I'll move heaven and earth to give people what they want

people seem have the impression I'm value taking & its far from it, but it seems like a mismanagement of the questions I'm asking/the attitude I have is giving the vibe that I'm only out for myself.

like i said above, I'll do it for free & produce results... but the goal is sustainability.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
I would want to know your track record of success, both within your own life and through those you have worked with. Documented testimonials. Satisfied clients. Social proof. Tangible evidence. I'd like to know if your $2K fee is actual value, or your perceived warped value which is based upon nothing but a niche marketing plan.

In other words, I wouldn't take millionaire advice from a thousandaire. I would want to make sure that my "coach" is more successful than myself.

So, if you can't justify your price through actual bonafide value, ratified by actual results and a verifiable track record of execution, you don't want to hear it. In other words, you want to charge a Lamborghini price for a Toyota Corolla and not be told why it wouldn't work ... just rainbows and unicorns.

Got it.

It seems like "Buy-In" is your main concern, like, you wouldn't believe it unless you were sure of the results & don't see why anyone else in your position would.

which was also my concern, but u gotta start somewhere... tony robbins LIVED in a toyota corolla (it was actually a pick up truck or something like that, but you get it) when he first started & he's probably the most successful consultant/coach ever...

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
high end clients didn't get there by being dumb. you are not going to con them. sorry.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I think if you made videos and posted them on youtube lots and lots of people would find them useful.

Check out some of the pick up artists and NLP gurus on youtube and see how they help educate the public - I'm belive if any of them made a simple website that was promoting personal 1 2 1 sessions they would get lots of people queuing up just from posting a link in their videos.

I wish you all the best - I believe you can do it if you put in the work! It sounds like you are very passionate about what you do and people love positivity and passion.

So in short.... Go down the youtube route, make useful videos, find people to help locally, do seminars, record everything, upload it to youtube and send the youtube viewers to your website that offers 1 2 1.

I'm sure even doing seminars for free could bring in people that would be happy to hire you for 1 2 1....and before you know it your seminars (and reputation) will sell out at $500/seat.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'll do it for free & produce results

Ultimately, this is how you will need to start as it produces a track record. In fact, this is how I got started and how many websites begin ... they offer the product for FREE to prove value, track record, and social proof. Once that ball starts rolling, you can then start thinking about money.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Ultimately, this is how you will need to start as it produces a track record. In fact, this is how I got started and how many websites begin ... they offer the product for FREE to prove value, track record, and social proof. Once that ball starts rolling, you can then start thinking about money.

I've been pm'd from some people who need help already, and agree'd to do it...

I do 13 hours at my job and hate it the whole time, I'd enjoy spending all day doing this... I just need it to become sustainable at some point.

appreciate you taking the time out.

ps. I will coach you for free... :thumbsup:

JoeV

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 20, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
You are on the right track offering your services for free. Now, document everything. Big clients will want to see case studies. They want to know why they should invest their money OR time even listening to you.

I was a very successful internet marketer. I made millions and sold out. I later decided to get into the consulting business because I love to get involved in different companies and improve them. Basically, I wanted to offer online business optimization so I can improve websites and marketing efforts. Despite my past success, no one cared and I had a very hard time getting good clients. They wanted to see what I have done for other companies and see detailed results for my services, but I had nothing to show.

I was able to get a few small clients. Over a year past before I got a decent client (still very small) and I was able to document how I increased his sales by 300%. That was the key. I was able to show hard data how my services could help. No talk. Just results. I paid a large ecommerce newsletter to publish the results. The day that newsletter went out, I could not keep up with all of the calls and emails. The clients were much larger from then on.

I regret not just doing free work from the start and documenting the results. I would not have wasted a year of my time.

Take my advice, don't go after big clients now. Keep your job and build case studies on the side. Show hard data that your services are valuable and work your way up to larger clients.

Joe

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
That's awesome

ok so the notes on what im getting so far is

Strategies:

• Doing work for free (Reputation for producing results via those job's)
  • Documented hard data backing up my ability to produce results
  • Youtube Video's
  • Free Seminar's that spin off into 1 on 1's

The challenges include:

• getting buy-in from people who only care about results
  • doing all the free work & doing it as best I can so I get those results I have to prove I can produce.

but once I have data to back me up and a few satisfied clients under my belt I can take a swing at the high end clients I'm after...

so more or less the immediate game plan would be to take whoever I could get and blow them away & just keep track of all the little victories until I have something tangible to show for myself that a high end client could look at and be impressed by.

awesome, thanks forum.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I'm not focused on myself....

I'll move heaven and earth to give people what they want

people seem have the impression I'm value taking & its far from it, but it seems like a mismanagement of the questions I'm asking/the attitude I have is giving the vibe that I'm only out for myself.

like i said above, I'll do it for free & produce results... but the goal is sustainability.

Glad to see I apparently misjudged you. You've stood tall and handled the onslaught with grace. I look forward to your contributions on this forum.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I fit your income model and could only be bothered to read your op and scan your eBook length reply (it bored me).
Your price is not my problem.
You're just not getting my attention.

I went to beer & pancakes this year and the younger folks there had my attention, but then they had all ready earned my respect by providing value here. They had paid their dues.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Go work for a consulting company, do it for free.

High end consulting usually works by referrals. High net worth individuals look to each other and one speaks and raves about someone then they call you instead of you calling them.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
ok... how bout...

I fit your income model and could only be bothered to read your op and scan your eBook length reply (it bored me).
Your price is not my problem.
You're just not getting my attention.

I went to beer & pancakes this year and the younger folks there had my attention, but then they had all ready earned my respect by providing value here. They had paid their dues.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...sivkI/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

ok, lets try again then... here's about 10 slides, short and sweet that go into greater detail about how you can improve your performance at whatever it is you do 200% (obviously an arbitrary number, because I'm a little light on the "Facts and Data" side of things) and make it more fun and enjoyable.

hope it's a little more entertaining.

ps. don't hit play, just click the screen for the next slide, its not timed.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?z4kjt1p2kvk7yc0 <- the PDF version so you can DL it, and it'll at least give you something to do whenever your not busy.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Delivery.

you can get 100 presentation maps with LCD screens built in them that start playing as soon as one opens the map, at a mere cost of 30 euro a piece on the internet.

If distributed deliberately and presented well, you get the ball rolling.

after that, it's all about the value you deliver and the mouth 2 mouth referrals mentioned above

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I don't really understand.

So you "dominate socially" but made a bad first impression here, so you obviously don't dominate socially.

You claim to be able to help anybody improve their performance in everything by 200% but you still work a job you hate, so obviously you can't even improve your own performance.

It doesn't add up to me. Sounds like typical nonsense guru bullshit. But well, lots of dumb sheeple out there to scam out of their money. Good luck.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
I don't really understand.

So you "dominate socially" but made a bad first impression here, so you obviously don't dominate socially.

You claim to be able to help anybody improve their performance in everything by 200% but you still work a job you hate, so obviously you can't even improve your own performance.

It doesn't add up to me. Sounds like typical nonsense guru bullshit. But well, lots of dumb sheeple out there to scam out of their money. Good luck.

1.) nobody dominates anything without ever having a bad moment & DESPITE the fact that I got off on the wrong foot, I handled the criticism after the fact like this:
[video=youtube;lLXaRtc1f4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXaRtc1f4I[/video]

2.) I stated that 200% was obviously an arbitrary number
3.) The whole point of this is not doing a job, I'm good but I don't have fairy god parents, I'm not just gonna twitch my nose and instantly make money fall from the sky

But when you get down to a more realistic and practical level, I'm a 22 year old who's goal right now is to freelance as a high paid consultant, the majority of 22 year old's wouldn't know where to begin or how to even do what I do, or even be able to apply themselves to the degree that I do.

that's not 200% better? or is everything supposed to be filtered through a narrow scope of what you consider to be good?

Which is fine, because in order to do what I want to do here, pushing though skepticism is probably gonna be the name of the game...

but I'm not perfect, and I can't help some people & wouldn't waste either of our time if that was the case..

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
this reminds me of that show "the shark tank" where people come with idea's or small business's and the already successful corporate people either destroy them with harsh feedback or try to buy them out lol

I kinda like it though...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Well you don't seem to get my point...

"I'm a 22 year old who's goal right now is to freelance as a high paid consultant"

Thats exactly the problem. You don't have any credibility, like some of the more experienced/successful members already pointed out.

You have nothing to offer to somebody with that kind of exposable income (likely somebody in his 40s/50s who either owns a business himself or has a rather high paying job). At least judging from your posts, of course its entirely possible that you have some skills you didnt tell us about.

If you would use your energy to build a successful business (not coaching as a business... I'm talking about a real business) at this age you would then have the credibility to do "lifestyle coaching", which seems to be your passion, at a later point.

And I'm not here to shoot down your idea or rain some negativity over you. Just giving you my honest opinion. Like I said, if you choose to stick with this idea I will be more than happy to hear about your success in 1-2 years or whatever. I just think there are better options for a driven person like you than coaching at this point of your life/career.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
kind of exposable income
What the heck is exposable income?

I'm a 22 year old who's goal right now is to freelance as a high paid consultant
Have you read any of halffull's posts? Maybe you all can learn something from eachother. He posts blog entries Im sure you can track them down and see if you find anything useful, i think you all are going through similar processes

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.