The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Its hard to explain the issue.

But basically I have to approve another sample before I get the color samples. they sent me a test sample on Monday, should be here today. I have to approve the radian and curve, whatever that means, gonna have to ask her. Thought I already did this with the 3D print they sent me. Like the molds are already made, not like I can remake them.

I just don't get why they didn't tell me this. email is below. it reads bottom up.

Also, now there asking about Pantone color swatches, I supplied them with color swatches from photoshop already. I guess they need actual Pantone Numbers now. Something they should've mentioned awhile back.

--------
Hi mark,
For your mold is finished ,we have sent the testing sample to you by China express on monday.
the tracking number is xxxx.
Once you receive the sample, if the sample curve and radian is ok, we will start to make
the approval sample immediately and it needs two weeks to make the approval sample.
One more questions,For approval sample, please provide your printing color pantone No.: green, red, yellow and frame color pantone
color: gray ,red ,blue for our reference so that we can match your color.thanks.
Have a nice day!
--------

Hi Tina,

Just checking in to see how our samples are coming along.

When can we expect shipment?

Thanks,

Mark Vick
--------
Hi mark,

For your approval sample will be finished in Middle of April.
once the approval sample are finished,we will send it out asap.thanks.

Have a nice day!
--------

Hi Tina,

That's great. Thank you for the update.

When can we expect the samples to arrive?

And will you send the samples express like you sent the rapid prototype? It arrived very quickly, which was great!

Thanks,

Mark Vick
---------
Hi mark,

How are you! your mold is finished,now we are start to test the mold and prepare the sample for your reference .

Have a nice day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Got it.
It is challenging and frustrating dealing with foreign companies when you don't know the language. Even the thought process can be different.

I am working with India natives that live here and I thought it would be easier than if they were the in India. It is not.

Keep pushing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Today is a good day :) Got my first prototype today, generated from our molds.

Its in a Silver gloss color and has no Logos or lettering applied yet.

This sample was to confirm the Radian and Curve.

Anyway, super happy on how they turned out. I couldn't be happier. They fit prefectly, the quality is really really nice. They did a fantastic job. The lenses are really nice too.

Been waiting a long time for this day. Nice to see all my hard work coming to reality.

Anyway, took some quick pics.

We get our colored versions in about a week or so.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 19
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Oh, wow. So exciting. Remember your many process posts of this didn't work, this failed, need to try something else? :)

The product is truly gorgeous. I can appreciate it even more knowing all the care you put into the making.

Congrats.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Oh, wow. So exciting. Remember your many process posts of this didn't work, this failed, need to try something else? :)

The product is truly gorgeous. I can appreciate it even more knowing all the care you put into the making.

Congrats.

Thank you :)

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Congrats! Must feel great to hold them in your hands.

The quality from the pics looks good. Personally, if I were to see them in a store, I'd probably not try them on due to the width (top to bottom) of the sides....the portion near the hinges. This could just be the pictures or how they look on you....so I'm still excited to receive my pair:)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm going to look sooo sexy in those ! :woot: lol.

They look great. Very exciting to see how far this will go.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Shut_up.jpg

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
I think that's a great sign that the guy is pissed and he didn't even pay!

Don't all kickstarter projects run the same risk and some of them are late as well?

I am more than happy to donate my time to help you setup a pre order system.

You could even just promise a later date!

I guess it could help you focus on something else while you wait.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I know there's a want and interest, I've reserved over $19,000 worth of orders, and built a pretty decent email list, by advertising $100 on Facebook every 2 weeks. Obviously they all won't commit, but a very large portion keep asking when there available, and telling me how they cant wait to have them. I also have some large B2B orders.

Dude... I just caught up with your latest posts here again and wanted to say; I think you will be doing REAL well with these. All your hard work and setbacks will pay off, no doubt! More +rep your way...

I can just imagine the potential once these shades become a recognized brand and become a trend!

One a sidenote, I will have to agree with MJ and Mayana regarding the V and number naming. Definitely try to find some unique word names if you can. If you have a hard time picking English words, look for latin ones or something :)

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Dude... I just caught up with your latest posts here again and wanted to say; I think you will be doing REAL well with these. All your hard work and setbacks will pay off, no doubt! More +rep your way...

I can just imagine the potential once these shades become a recognized brand and become a trend!

One a sidenote, I will have to agree with MJ and Mayana regarding the V and number naming. Definitely try to find some unique word names if you can. If you have a hard time picking English words, look for latin ones or something :)

Thanks eskil ;)

Yup I agree about the naming thing. The other models will def have there own unique name

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Thanks bud ;)

I'm not taking paid pre-orders.

I made this decision a long time ago. And this is why....
Just an idea..

LeapMotion, prior to their launch, took pre-orders in the sense they took CC numbers, addresses, etc. but they didn't bill until a month or two before the actual ship date. Just an idea to go ahead and secure buyers, leave less room for ship jumpers. Either way, it has been awesome watching this come to fruition. Can't wait to see you kill it bro! ;)

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Thanks bud
I'm not taking paid pre-orders.
I made this decision a long time ago. And this is why....

Just an idea..
LeapMotion, prior to their launch, took pre-orders in the sense they took CC numbers, addresses, etc. but they didn't bill until a month or two before the actual ship date. Just an idea to go ahead and secure buyers, leave less room for ship jumpers. Either way, it has been awesome watching this come to fruition. Can't wait to see you kill it bro!

www.trycelery.com is a great tool for taking preorders without actually charging people's credit card until you are ready to ship. Many completed kickstarter projects use this to continue to fund their product once their kickstarter campaign is over.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
They fit prefectly,

i was wondering if they'd be comfortable for long term wearing.

congrats.... your perseverance is inspiring

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No matter how hard I try to stay on schedule, something always comes up and F*cks it, like manufacturing/production issues for example. Stuff that's outta my control, for the most part.

Don't want to stomp on the progress train you've got going but this is something you need to control, or have better control over. If you expect to scale, you need to be able to call on your manufacturer and get product ASAP. I know when I run out of books, I can call my printer and get books printed in 2 weeks. No excuses. No delays. No BS. Big orders? Big demand? Your weak link CANNOT be your manufacturer. Based on the 20+ plus pages in this thread, it's clear your manufacturer could be a big problem. If you're selling a few glasses a week, no problem. A few 100 per day? Then you will kick yourself as money sits on the table and the manu comes with new excuses and new production delays. IMO, just based on the time this has taken with this manu, I would have dumped them, that is, IF all the delays are not your doing.

Nonetheless, Congrats on prototypes. Exciting time.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Don't want to stomp on the progress train you've got going but this is something you need to control, or have better control over. If you expect to scale, you need to be able to call on your manufacturer and get product ASAP. I know when I run out of books, I can call my printer and get books printed in 2 weeks. No excuses. No delays. No BS. Big orders? Big demand? Your weak link CANNOT be your manufacturer. Based on the 20+ plus pages in this thread, it's clear your manufacturer could be a big problem. If you're selling a few glasses a week, no problem. A few 100 per day? Then you will kick yourself as money sits on the table and the manu comes with new excuses and new production delays. IMO, just based on the time this has taken with this manu, I would have dumped them, that is, IF all the delays are not your doing.

Nonetheless, Congrats on prototypes. Exciting time.

Thanks MJ

All the delays are not on there end. Some are my fault, do too revisions and such. So far they have been somewhat on schedule. It's the process of approving things that takes long, and the mold process. Once everything is approved they can pump out 500,000 every 50-60 days. On average they said they can produce 12,000 a day, which sounds crazy to me, that seems insane so I don't know about that, but they said they could. Either way I'll know soon enough.

The plan is...

I've ordered 1200 pairs. As soon as I sell about 250 pairs. I'll be able to place an order for 4800. While the 4800 is being produced, I'll still have around 900-950 pairs to sell. Because the margin is high, I can place another order quickly, long before I run out of stock. At least that's the plan anyway. They said it takes them just as long to do an order of 4800 as it does 500,000, I guess it's because they have to change and test the molds and such, once that's all setup they fly through them. So they said it takes about 50-60 days for them to produce the shipment. I dont see myself selling 900 pairs in 2 months, at least not at the start. If I do, then the next order will by on its way. But I'll ask them about the things you mentioned. See what they say.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
IMO, just based on the time this has taken with this manu, I would have dumped them, that is, IF all the delays are not your doing.

I may have to start considering this. After the news I received this morning.

IF I were to find another supplier.

Can the molds I already paid for be transferred to another manufacturer ?

Or am I out 7,000$

Anyone know anything about this ?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
It seems to me you're almost there Vick. You've got verified market interest, a unique product fully designed - now all you need is someone willing to put it together for you in a timely, consistent manner. You've got this.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Keep it up Vick. If the current manufacturer bails out, find a new one and consider the lost 7k (I doubt you'll lose it) as your investment in the best type of education you can ever get. It's just another obstacle to overcome. It may deter people without strong drive, but definitely not you.

Only 1% make it, but 99% of people don't even take action. It's easy to be in 1% if you never give up. You're a problem solver and action taker. Keep going.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Typical manufacturing issues...... Time to get involved and get on them. Fly out there if you must to make the point. ....... AND ...... Find another manufacturer. Let them know you plan on doing so due to delays. Express how it is in their best interest that you are selling at quantity within the next 23 days...... Get it done!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Sorry Vick, I haven't followed this thread closely so sorry if this has been addressed just trying to help out in what seems like a shit time for you.

Going off @LibertyForMe 's suggestion maybe you could send a sourcing agent in to take your molds and help find a new manufacturer. Finding a local person who speaks the language seems like a better solution than flying there yourself.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
honestly.

idk what to do.

It really is tough on you at times, trying to become successful.

I see clearly now why only 1% make it.

Keep pushing Vick. I have been following your progress and have no doubt you can push past this obstacle. Shit happens. Time to evolve the plan

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
sooo had an interesting morning.

just learned a valuable lesson today.

PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL!

as some of you know. I have really bad anxiety. to the point where I get scared even to call friends.

at any rate last week i had some really bad news from my supplier about production time.

I posted a "frustration" post on Facebook last week. And a friend private messaged me and gave me some good advice.

he also put me in contact with a person who's very experienced in Import/Export business. Hes actually the President of a company. Which started to freak me out a bit.

at any rate, the guy emailed me and told me to give him a call if I needed any help.

ususally I shut right down at this point, and try and avoid a personal one-on-one conversion.

but this time. I decided it's time to just face the fear holding me back from making great connections.

I strapped my balls on and just called the guy.

turned out to be an AMAZING phone call. after a few short moments all fear and nervousness went away. It's surprising how these people love to help folks like us. They were once there too.

I also made a friend and great contact.

And the information and advice I received after this call is worth more then gold.

To all you people scared to pick up the phone.

DONT BE. fear and nervousness go away quickly.

If I can do it. anyone can. it was really really really hard for me to do.

And right now. I feel incredible. :)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.