The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business services. Made 10k+ in first month.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I thought it's better to make this progress thread separate from other things I do, which I also use as a source of income, so it will be organized better.

I picked a project-production niche in Russia, where I provide services to already existing businesses, and those, who are just starting. It includes design/advertising/copywriting aspects.
My own start was the fastest I can remember, and took 2 weeks to execute, which was possible mainly because I already have experience, and my partner was doing stuff on his own, while I was focusing on my tasks.
Main insight here:
- The right partnership, which in my situation is based on proven friendship and common long-term goals in life (almost each previous project we did together) - can be a key to a lightspeed execution. I now see why some people struggle to launch their project - they just can't bear it alone.

Based on our previous experience (I used to work many hours a day, doing website-works for ~100$/hour, and Phil was solving problems, which clients wouldn't have in the first place, if they hired him earlier), we quickly figured that our services will be focused on business owners who able to spend solid money, paying for proper and quick execution.
We've focused all of the materials in our presentation on comfort, high quality, and safety of further actions of business owner, because we take care of all the fundamentals and consult him about anything he will face.
We based our services on science and accurate knowledge, to eliminate any guessowork. We also threw out everything we can't deliver on such level, or which is not cost effective in terms of time/profit ratio.
It already cost us some clients, which I'm sure will cost even more, but it preserved us from a lot of frustration, clients we can't efficiently deal with, and saved us a lot of time.
To save even more time, we used specific titles and wording in our pricelist, which make sense only to those, who understand what they deal with in business, and presented only particular expensive services on our website, so no unwanted "clientele" would even bother themself writing to us.
Main insight here:
- Targeting specific clients in your project presentation is what defines the workflow. If it's possible to target a specific type of client, whose needs you can fulfill the best - do this.
If they need something else, which you can provide them with - you can mention it in conversation, and still provide the service.
Getting rid of small-services saved us from hundreds of inquiries on things, which we wouldn't want to do - unwanted contact requests and unnecessary traffic.

We participated in a conference, answering questions on our topic, which got us 3 clients in the day one, which we now have closed. We didn't put a link/mention to our services, people found out our contacts indirectly, which was interesting to watch, because my new skype account received 28 contact requests atm, from people, mentioning where they came from.
I, personally, failed here a lot, answered some questions the way I shouldn't have, and some very good enterpreneurs, which we now see we could really help a lot - got lost.
Learning from that, I'm now absolutely comfortable with asking people dozens of questions, if it's necessary.
Also, we lost one ~7k$ client just because I mentioned that I can help him out with his voice for videos he will shoot, because I used to do that for deputies, who need to do public speeches. He thought that it's too much for one person to provide not just business services, but also provide something else equally good, which I felt immediately. Now I won't mention anything like that, until client asks for it.
Main insight here:
- Don't be uncomfortable doing what it takes, no matter how you feel about it - if it's necessary to ask 10 elementary questions - ask.
- Don't ever show-off.

On the other hand, we tried to call some of our local businesses - received few emails, and talked with 3 business owners, which we now need to write to. I can tell that offering services is either not my good skill, or it's just really that ineffective as it seems, but I still need to find out how they will react, and if we will work with them eventually.

Total by the end of august.
Time spent total: ~27 hours
Breakdown:
~6 hours on creating a headline + the message for ask-me-anything conference
~2 hours answering questions
~7 hours on skype/phone conversations with potential clients
~2 more hours on project discussions.
~2 hours on making a blog-post on social media design.
~3 hours on writing a note on design
~2 hours on doing a voice-over for this note*
~3 hours spent on design-related things

Gave my partner 3k$, and we both dropped 13% into our bank, in ratio 65%/35% USD/RUR, for further needs.
BF9uw7de1do.jpg

You can ask questions, because most probably there is a lot I forgot to mention.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
$10K USD? If not, I need to change the thread title as it's deceiving.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
edit* misunderstood the post.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Total clients: 4
Total income: 890.700 RUR (~13.613$)
Total profit: ~874.000 RUR (-13.373$)
Time spent total: ~27 hours

Seems to be Russian Rubles which would be the amounts he has in brackets for US (income of $13,613 and profit of $13,373).

There seems to be some good information in your post but some parts are quite hard to fully understand. I am guessing English is not your first language.

Since 3 of you 4 customers came from the conference can you elaborate on that. How did you get invited and how did your talk convert sales so well (compared to approaching your customers directly)

Also taking away the time spent getting new clients you have only listed 10 more hours of work...

~2 hours on making a blog-post on social media design.
~3 hours on writing a note on design
~2 hours on doing a voice-over for this note*
~3 hours spent on design-related things

How are you achieving such value for your customers is such a small amount of time?
That is 1k US per hour and only 2.5hrs average work total per customer.
Are all these contracts finished or is that just how much you have worked on them so far? Seems quite high.

• Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
$10K USD? If not, I need to change the thread title as it's deceiving.
USD.

@Fox yep, english is not my natural, and I feel dizzy, because I didn't sleep in like 40 hours, we've been calling all day long, now I think I need to rest.
Point out to particular phrases - I'll work on them/explain them better.

One of my friends told me that we can join, so we figured out it would be a good place to start. We wanted to get business connections in the first place, so we prepared well and made it about real help, not trying to sell our services, and etc. We knew we'll make people interested without offering anything.
Then, in person, I offered what they were already interested in - they asked how they can advertise better, how they can increase sells, do they need a website, how to make their prices higher without losing existing customers, etc - I kindly told them a few strategies they can use, and they asked if I can execute, so it wasn't really difficult to close. We put our effort into pre-sales works, so when we have a conversation with a potential client, we already know all the possible outcomes, and how the conversation will go.

So far. They will take about 7-10 hours to finish altogether, I think it's high even in this perspective.
Thing is, most of the work can be done in 10x less time than people spend on it. And this time is usually (almost always) being spent on things that matter a lot less to the whole project, than things that are almost always being overlooked.
It takes 1 hour to find a right community, contact its representative, call him, get all the important information, and arrange all the actions that will follow. Than it takes 2-3 hours to put some mind into the advertisment itself, making it attractive for this particular audience. 3-4 hours of work, which will get positive results.
What people usually do instead is - is search for 20 communities, none of which is right, than contact their representatives, ask "how much" - than shoot the same mindless advertisment to each one, and after seeing no results, all the actions being repeated. Same goes for everything else. Takes shitload of time.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Give value upfront, client sees great value but notices that its hard work and takes time and practice. Client hites business to do it for them for a decent fee and prob cheaper than hacking it themselves. Good work.

• Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Had a good conversation with a business owner, instead of offering our services, we ended up talking about new project. He sells, I execute+get my percent of sales. He pays all the expenses, I see it as a good passive income opportunity with pretty good numbers.

Last edited:
  • Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Didn't happen. Yet.

BUT.
Closed "1k$ + 25% from all sales" deal 2 days ago.
Fitness project. Website + social network community with 100k members.
Terms are: 25% from all the existing offers, 25% from everything our partner implements, and 100% from everything we implement on our own.
Already picked the domain name, written the plan for an upcoming month, and formed some beneficial relationships.
Arranged fitness clubs discounts all over the Russian Federation for our clients. Designed our website's front page.
Guys, there is so much happening, I really want to share it with you, but have so little time.

_
Participated in another conference. People really start talking about us. I think we should start advertising after we put our existing projects on rails.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.