The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FB marketing help

Built4Greatness

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Dec 25, 2013
3 Things I've learned About Facebook That changed my life

1) It is much cheaper to sell to your fans than to anyone else. If you have a big enough fan base you can sell for literally pennies on the dollar. The good thing is fans already have some level of trust with you which make them easier to sell to than most ads. I'm not saying don't advertise outside of your list, you have to keep bringing new prospects into your pipeline but your list will give you the most bang for your buck.

2) Copy & Offer are very important (obviously). From the customers prospective if they look and/or click on an Ad from you. They don't know you and haven't heard about your company before. Your job is to be clear about what you offer, how it will help them and why they should buy now. Listening to their objectives and getting feedback is a good way to create copy that allows customers to talk themselves into the process of buying from you. Use their words not yours.

3) Data Changes prospective. The more data you obtain the more things change. When I was in college I would travel around the country and play a certain sports video game for money. There were online gambling places you could play and it's how I made it through college. I always remember after playing the game for a while thinking "This game is a totally different game than it was the first 2 months". Yet that wasn't the case, the game didn't change. The data I consumed of the game increased, giving me the ability to accurately predict outcomes based on different set ups.

It's the same with Facebook data, The more data you receive, the more trends you will see, the more hang ups you will see that customers have and the more you find out what really works vs. what's a gamble

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
but not seeing that rate from cold traffic on FB

Try creating a funnel system to warm up your traffic. Your reach is very low but in my experience 2% CTR is not bad. So your two issues seem to be; not enough traffic to test with yet and your landing page or product page isn't converting.

You are taking your visitor from a cold ad to a cold sale with basically no product information. Its like me calling you on the phone without introducing myself or what I have to offer then asking you to send me $20 for some product.

You have no copy in your landing page: alphamonics.com/p/deep-meditation-relaxation-sleep. Unless you are solving an incredible pain your sales conversion rate is going to be very low.

At the end of the day you are selling a product, so sell it!

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Try creating a funnel system to warm up your traffic. Your reach is very low but in my experience 2% CTR is not bad. So your two issues seem to be; not enough traffic to test with yet and your landing page or product page isn't converting.

You are taking your visitor from a cold ad to a cold sale with basically no product information. Its like me calling you on the phone without introducing myself or what I have to offer then asking you to send me $20 for some product.

You have no copy in your landing page: alphamonics.com/p/deep-meditation-relaxation-sleep. Unless you are solving an incredible pain your sales conversion rate is going to be very low.

At the end of the day you are selling a product, so sell it!

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you.

You're right. In the middle of TBB now and realize how badly I had my campaigns set up. Going to finish the program before attempting more buying, because I am learning more in each video than I did for each $100 test at this point.

Excited to get back into it though....thanks so much for your input/advice.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
PS. Check out this video: http://goo.gl/wkOBz1

I'm watching the video right now.

"Mrs. April, saw these on the job, thought you might like them, they're real pretty, I hope you enjoy them..." <- From the video, lol. That lawn maintenance guy is pretty smart though!

Okay I need to look into DigitalMarketer a bit more, so far the video is great.

PS: How many clicks did that link get? ;)

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding my FB campaign.

First I will give you some stats:

Amount spent: 331,70€
Reach: 96,819
Potential Reach: 250,000 people
Frequenzy: 1.30
Conversions: 52
Cost per Conversion: 6.38€
Clicks: 4,709
Website clicks: 3,040
CTR: 3.73%
CPC: 0.07€
Post likes: 330
Comments: 66
Shares: 51
Page likes: 81

Each conversion is worth about 40€

I have a feeling that it will soon stop being profitable as I only have a potential reach of 250,000 and I have already reached 96,000. I don't know how I am able to scale this. Do I have to create a whole new campaign after that because this one has reached its limit?

I am really new to this, I have a few good campaigns but I just can't figure out how to scale! I have a feeling that if I increase my budget I will just blow away the audience in a shorter amount of time. :banghead:

Can someone please clarify this for me?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Your spend is very low, you need to spend way more and faster to get proper data. Also 1.3 frequency is nothing. Spend more on that audience. You wont burn it until at least 10 frequency.

Whats your targeting like?

I have a similar problem right now, although on a bigger scale (150k spent on my previous targeting, most of it in the last 6 months), so my CPA was going up faster then I'd like.

Currently I'm testing out very broad targeting after analysing my demographics. So now instead of interests and lookalikes, I'm targeting only a age/gender group in the whole country, so my audience went from approx 500-600k to 7-8M, which seems to work fine. I'd test that.

Also, your CPA will naturally go up with more spend. If you're worrying about profitability at $6 CPA with $40 average purchase, you have bigger problems than your targeting and need more organic growth / referral sales. I'm spending about $10-15 CPA right now and only have $12-13 avg purchase with $6-7 avg profit per order, so I'm losing money on FB ads ($5-10 per sale) but make it up with the resulting referrals / brand building.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding my FB campaign.

First I will give you some stats:

Amount spent: 331,70€
Reach: 96,819
Potential Reach: 250,000 people
Frequenzy: 1.30
Conversions: 52
Cost per Conversion: 6.38€
Clicks: 4,709
Website clicks: 3,040
CTR: 3.73%
CPC: 0.07€
Post likes: 330
Comments: 66
Shares: 51
Page likes: 81

Each conversion is worth about 40€

I have a feeling that it will soon stop being profitable as I only have a potential reach of 250,000 and I have already reached 96,000. I don't know how I am able to scale this. Do I have to create a whole new campaign after that because this one has reached its limit?

I am really new to this, I have a few good campaigns but I just can't figure out how to scale! I have a feeling that if I increase my budget I will just blow away the audience in a shorter amount of time. :banghead:

Can someone please clarify this for me?

I always recommend leaving upping your budget till last. Personally I've found the more you increase it the quicker Facebook spends it and often it ends up pushed out to less and less tailored audiences.

I don't know how you came up with your audiences to begin with, but I'm going to assume that it might be competitors or maybe niche terms? If you haven't already I'd advice using Facebook Audience Insights and try to see if you can drill down to find other audiences to test on. Let's say for the hell of it that the niche was bodybuilding supplements and you'd been targeting bodybuilding.com.

Throw that into the interests on Audience Insights with the countries you want to target. It's well worth taking a look on the first page and seeing if the gender / age is very focused to a particular demographic. If it is, note those down and as them as filters in the left hand side. Now click on the Page Likes. Scroll to the bottom and order by affinity. What are the other pages that people seem to like. if you're not advertising to these then note down as a test group to use (I really want to get to 500,000 as my initial audience by 150,000 + is okay for tiny niches - you can see how big it is at the top of the page.).

As well as noting down these pages, take them and add them into the interests box. You should see the affinity numbers getting higher and the pages getting even more niche. If it goes too general, take out what you've added one by one and remove the culprit. Once you do start getting really niche then take out the big interest (Bodybuilding.com is my example). This should help get you even nicher. (If you can you want to get all of the interests to be lowercase - if they have capital letters it means that Facebook basically sees these as a big, popular page which is great, but can also lead to some very general audiences.

Put these interests together into groups and start testing. $5-$10 a day is more than enough to see if there is any traction (EDIT: Slowlane thinking here... follow @theag advice's for fastlane success!). For those that get results go back and repeat the above in Audience Insights and if that stops pulling data then go to Facebook Graph Search. Look at "Books liked by people who like Interest 1 and Interest 2". Repeat with Public Figures, TV Shows, Brands, Authors. You'd be surprised what you come up with and the results that using these in ads can bring.

On top of that when you're starting to see your audience is see the same ad multiple times don't let the burnout happen. Refresh it with a new image and copy.... and please please tell me you''re dropping retargeting pixels and creating custom audiences to get those interested folks in to your funnel!

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
$5-$10 a day is more than enough to see if there is any traction.
Disagree. Thats way to low to get results. Put your big boy pants on and spend more. In my experience you should do $100/ad set. Everything below isnt enough for OCPM to work and everything above quickly raises your CPA. Seems to be the sweet spot.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Disagree. Thats way to low to get results. Put your big boy pants on and spend more. In my experience you should do $100/ad set. Everything below isnt enough for OCPM to work and everything above quickly raises your CPA. Seems to be the sweet spot.
Personally, I have found much better results as you state @theag with budgets around $100. Some clients / newbies starting out don't have the budget to do so much. Doing something is better than doing nothing at all. It's not a strongest test, but it's enough of a test for them to be able to feel ready to put their big boy pants on and jump in properly. In this case @Cembo may well be able to afford a lot more. My bad for making it sound as though it was the optimal solution.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Some clients / newbies starting out don't have the budget to do so much. Doing something is better than doing nothing at all.
True, but in those situations its better to scratch together the budget and do 3 days with 100/day instead of 30 days with 10/day. Simply better and actionable data.

Or do other marketing until you have a bigger budget. But too low budgets kill paid advertising efforts more than anything, because you dont know what to do with inconclusive data.

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks @Imgal , that's exactly how I did it but I was just afraid to spend more money. But I have not started to use retargeting pixels yet. And what exactly are custom audiences? I have a couple of them through a shopify app, but I don't know what to do with them

@theag Thanks, I thought a 1,3 Frequenzy was high! I mostly target people who like specific websites and fb groups. I have a feeling that I already get a lot of referrals because my organic sales got higher. How do you measure that? I will put my ads on 100€/day and see how it goes.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I have a feeling that I already get a lot of referrals because my organic sales got higher. How do you measure that?
Look at Google analytics direct/organic/referral sales over time. But to be honest you have to wing it a bit because its hard to measure that branding effect accurately. Thats why there are a lot of "hot" adtech startups dealing with ad attribution.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
@Cembo In the case of your Shopify custom audiences they are people who have landed on your Shopify site. These can be a real goldmine for advertising to. You could for example ask Facebook to show an ad to everyone who visited a product page, but didn't get to your thank you page after purchasing (this gets a bit more complicated with ecommerce than a basic lead gen campaign as your thank you page doesn't necessarily mean they bought the product you're pushing). It's a great opportunity to remind them of the benefits of your product or tempt them with a discount.

Another thing you can do with the custom audiences is create lookalike audiences and get Facebook to find similar audiences. If you use a conversion pixel on your site (which I suspect is what Shopify is doing) then Facebook will go out and try and find people with similar buying behaviour. It's not foolproof and some campaigns work better than others, but definitely worth trying out.

If you want more info on any of it give me a poke. Writing this on the run so sure I'm missing out big chunks trying to write quickly!

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
True, but in those situations its better to scratch together the budget and do 3 days with 100/day instead of 30 days with 10/day. Simply better and actionable data.

Or do other marketing until you have a bigger budget. But too low budgets kill paid advertising efforts more than anything, because you dont know what to do with inconclusive data.

I can't disagree. Stupid piece of slowlane advice earlier. You seriously made me re-evaluate the advice I give out on the subject. Respect for that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.