The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FB marketing help

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I just launched my first FB campaign but looks like I'll be needing a lot of help. Any recommended courses on the best way to optimize ads?

A few stats:
I created 1 ad with 5 different images (so 5 ads) for 1 product:
alphamonics.com/p/deep-meditation-relaxation-sleep/

They targetted 4 specific interests, females from US & canada, 25-50 Y/O

My results after 1 day are attached. Basically a few post likes, a few page likes but 0 conversions.

Should I change from OCPM to CPM or CPC?
Is 2% a good CTR?

I've seen some people here get clicks at a very low rate. What's the best way to optimize ads to get that done?

I know I need to do a lot more testing. For example my Ads have a button that says "Download" but that may be a bad CTA because it may imply free to some people

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• results.png
    results.png
    54 KB · Views: 52

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks saw that a while ago but that video is regarding advertising for page likes. I'm not advertising my page for likes, nor do I care about likes that much unless they are coming naturally (which they are in my case). I'm advertising for visitors and i'm getting them, just no conversions yet so I need to start split testing campaigns and likely my landing page. I just want to know what are some good FB numbers and the best way to approach it (CPC, CPM, etc.)

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Any recommended courses on the best way to optimize ads?

We've got a lot of guys in-house doing FB-only marketing (and doing very well), but @JasonR will probably be best to help you.
You will need A LOT more data before you can even begin to optimize. It's the mistake all marketers make at first. You spend some money and start getting sweaty palms at really low data points. Need to spend money, gather data and sit still. "Good numbers" will vary by niche as well.
FB advertising can be very powerful though. Good luck.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks. I'm going to be creating about 100 more ads today for the other 10-15 products.

Any idea if I should be creating like 30 ads for each product to individually be able to test out 1) image, 2) copy, 3) call to action and see which combo works best?

ck4750

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
Missouri
Any idea if I should be creating like 30 ads for each product to individually be able to test out 1) image, 2) copy, 3) call to action and see which combo works best?

I believe JasonR does CPC only and bids over whatever is recommended.

I'm working my way through Traffic Blackbook 2.0 (I think Zen has some guys take that course) and he recommends writing 15-20 Ads for each then choosing the best 4-8 and begin testing those.

Hope that helps.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I have a long week ahead of me creating all this stuff.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
We've got a lot of guys in-house doing FB-only marketing (and doing very well), but @JasonR will probably be best to help you.
You will need A LOT more data before you can even begin to optimize. It's the mistake all marketers make at first. You spend some money and start getting sweaty palms at really low data points. Need to spend money, gather data and sit still. "Good numbers" will vary by niche as well.
FB advertising can be very powerful though. Good luck.

This is good info.

And d0000d. You spent $15!! Do you really expect to get a conversion from $15?

I spend at least $50-100 before I decide to kill and run ad ad.

Not to mention, if this is your first rodeo for your offer, you'll have to spend quite a bit more demographic information.

Expect to spend $500 to get 1 sale. Then go from there.

Looks like you're running optimized CPM. You can't really do that until you've done some testing on CPC. Take your highest CTR ads, run them as CPC, and run ONE ad until you get a few hundred bucks of data.

Also, it would help me if you listed your pre-sale and offer page.

Also, the Facebook Fraud video is BS. Yesterday, I had one ad where I spent $125 to generate $500 in sales.

Attachments

• ad-stats.jpg
    ad-stats.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 73

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Watch this before wasting your time. It may not be worth it.

Also, the Facebook Fraud video is BS. Yesterday, I had one ad where I spent $125 to generate $500 in sales.

This video is really persisting but is not applicable to running actual ads (vs. ads to get likes).

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Looks like you're running optimized CPM. You can't really do that until you've done some testing on CPC. Take your highest CTR ads, run them as CPC, and run ONE ad until you get a few hundred bucks of data.
Also, it would help me if you listed your pre-sale and offer page.

Thank you @JasonR for the info. I will switch my ads to CPM/CPC instead of OCPM.

I don't have a pre-sales page. It's a straight up ecommerce site so my product page is alphamonics.com/p/deep-meditation-relaxation-sleep

Also I wasn't planning on killing the campaign because I didn't get a sale yet. I just wanted to see what good/average numbers were and whether I should be trying CPM or CPC.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Very cool thread, I just started running my first campaign and I think it is a good investment.

So, is Traffic Blackbook 2.0 worth it? It sounds like a few people have said it is solid around the forum.

I'd really like to dig into ads and learn it cold, so if this can help I am down.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
So just a quick update:

I added a bunch more ads, eventually raised spending limit on the account to keep testing things out. I found 1 ad that performed really well, cpc averaged to about $0.10 each (was averaging $0.40 before). My CTR was 3%. I had about 350 clicks which turned into 66 post likes (don't care much about this), 50 page likes (great), 14 shares (great), 3 comments (ok) and the kicker...0 sales.

The thing I noticed is that all of those clicks/visitors were from mobile so now the question turns to:
1) is my website optimized for mobile as much as it should be
2) is my copy/landing page the issue
3) is my price the issue
4) something else

I'll keep testing and post updates. I'm going to disable mobile and see if I have the same results with desktop

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Is that advice based on my stats or generally

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
@JasonR : What would you say the minimum CLV would be for running FB ads profitably?

I have a CLV of ~$40 right now, but think I saw you tell someone that $60-$100 is best.

If that's the case, I will need to release another product, most likely, to increase my CLV to that point.

Also, do you find that you can sell "cold" leads on facebook by jumping them right to a landing page? Or the opt-in, drip funnel is more reliable...?

PS - My product is an online fitness course/book that is already generating sales.

Built4Greatness

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Dec 25, 2013
What is everyone using to track this besides facebook itself? @JasonR do you recommend any more in depth tracking such as the photo you showed.

With goal $ amount etc.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I just use analytics goal tracking for now

Bimmer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Apr 5, 2014
@csalvato : You do not need to to have a 60-100$ CLV just to get profitable on paid traffic - If your offer is converting well, you can get profitable with $40 by testing and tweaking your campaigns and targeting the right audience. The thing is when you have a 100$ CLV you can buy (and outbid your competitors) almost any traffic you want and still be profitable, because you can break even - or even lose money - initially when buying traffic, and still profit on the back end.

@Yury Byalik , doing direct response marketing means you NEED to collect and track your data properly so you can make the right decisions and cut bad ads and landing pages fast, and find out what works fast.

Just like Jason mentioned - CPVlab is very powerful - but you can also use a free tracking software called prosper202 which you can download for free here http://prosper.tracking202.com/apps/. and install it on your server.
As long as you don't do huge volume prosper202 is enough.
But if you do want to spend some money, you should buy CPVlab right away because it's easier to use and has more possibilities

Tracking is KEY

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
NEED to collect and track your data properly

I can track all my current campaigns with Google analytics. While I do know a lot of affiliates prosper202 or CPVlab, i'm not sure what they provide as an added benefit but I will definitely take a look. Thanks

Bimmer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Apr 5, 2014
Alright, i don't have much experience with analytics tracking but:

Can you Switch the landing page URL instantly without touching your campaigns?
Can you track the CTR of your landing pages?
Can you set up slit test for various landing pages and offers?
Can you set rules for how many impressions each landing page in a split test gets?
Can you track each banner its performance (lp ctr - lp cvr - cvr overall)?
Can you pull data and compare landing pages - banners - etc - performance instantly?
etc...

if not - you don't know what you're missing

S

stranger

Create a free FB page on your product/s and join to different groups on the same subject. And then you can see how well they'll like your page. I got my first FB customers with this way, and spent no cent at ads. Of course, then you should go to paid ads.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
@Bimmer : Gah! I'm kind of jumping in head first on FB here and using it to try and get conversions on this product now. I invested like $1500 over the past month into advertising on various different channels with F*ckall results, so spending $250-$300 on CPV makes me cringe a bit, but I'm seeing it's necessary. F*ckitall!

I'll probably buy it within the next day or two, when my current campaign wraps up. I just got $100 more data on my market and saw CTRs in the 0.3%-1.6% range, so there is room for improvement especially if I start to target key demos that are clicking through more.

My landing page currently converts from my EMAIL LIST at about 2%-3%, but not seeing that rate from cold traffic on FB. I guess the initial plan is to get 2-6% CTR, then optimize landing page, eh?

Fail Fail Fail Iterate Fail -> profit? I hope so. If not, I am going to see my savings account disappear very quickly. :p

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
Maybe unbundle your offer and try selling shorter, individual tracks at a cheaper price? Or use a few free samples or "how to sleep better at night guide" ebook as lead magnet to get their email address so you can market them your core product later. If they don't buy, you have their email address to get in touch with them to get feedback on how you can improve your product or ask why they aren't buying. Also, try split testing with a landing page so visitors don't get disoriented after clicking your ads with an expectation or so that you can offer content that supports the message in your ads.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
My landing page currently converts from my EMAIL LIST at about 2%-3%, but not seeing that rate from cold traffic

my EXACT problem... cant figure it out for the life of me... spent $2k already on FB ads with horrible results

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
my EXACT problem... cant figure it out for the life of me... spent $2k already on FB ads with horrible results

I'm thinking I can definitely drive signups to my login form, but right now that, too, only has a conversion rate of 2-3%. Each subscriber is currently worth about 75¢-$1.00 at the moment, but most of those people are from free SEO traffic.

I might get a better rate from people who come from FB campaigns and are targeting to have higher income and higher net worth.

Its hard to say, and a risk. I might have to try a mixed strategy, but I am going to fully flush out if I can get cold sales first because that's the simplest funnel, easiest to track.

@eqttrdr send me your skype details in a PM, and I'll add you. Currently talking to a few others on Skype and it's helping tremendously. Would love to bounce ideas off of you.

Maybe unbundle your offer and try selling shorter, individual tracks at a cheaper price? Or use a few free samples or "how to sleep better at night guide" ebook as lead magnet to get their email address so you can market them your core product later. If they don't buy, you have their email address to get in touch with them to get feedback on how you can improve your product or ask why they aren't buying. Also, try split testing with a landing page so visitors don't get disoriented after clicking your ads with an expectation or so that you can offer content that supports the message in your ads.

I already do this, but (as explained above), getting people into a "lead magnet" trap/funnel is a lot less profitable because the funnel is longer. More places for them to fall off, and with $1/click on my FB ads, and a target price of 70¢ per signup (50¢ would be ideal), that would be challenging to achieve.

I may run an ad to see if I can get more signups, and then target ads specifically to people who saw my website already.

So many options, so many strategies, so much room for failure. Plodding on, I must keep doing...

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Maybe unbundle your offer and try selling shorter, individual tracks at a cheaper price? Or use a few free samples or "how to sleep better at night guide" ebook as lead magnet to get their email address so you can market them your core product later. If they don't buy, you have their email address to get in touch with them to get feedback on how you can improve your product or ask why they aren't buying. Also, try split testing with a landing page so visitors don't get disoriented after clicking your ads with an expectation or so that you can offer content that supports the message in your ads

I'm working on the landing page now and a few other strategies and then will retest them.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Some good advice in here, now the trick is going to be putting it to use. You said you are planning to make 30-40 different ads for 15-20 different products, on your first rodeo? Will those all be going to different landing pages as well?

But before anything, TRACKING, TRACKING, TRACKING. You are literally risking all of the money you are spending on ads right now by not having a proper setup. Want to know why? Let me explain.

With Google Analytics, can you see what specific Ad on FB you got a conversion from? What about the time of day you got the conversion? Do you have conversion tracking setup on FB? If not, you need a real-time tracking platform. If you are short on budget, get Prosper202, then CPVlab when it's in the budget. Otherwise, you will not know what came from where, or even how it got there. Much less the really important information that tells you whether or not each ad combo is profitable or LOSING money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.