The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ongoing Terrorist Attack on Canadian Parliament

D

DeletedUser394

All these incidents do is strengthen the bond between a common people.

Here we have random bystanders who dropped everything and went to try and save the soldier as the entire chaotic event was unfolding around them.

L8DHPcT.jpg

As for the perps in both instances, they were both Caucasian, domestic terrorist 'converts'. Their 'ideology' should go without having to be said.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
C'mon guys try to keep the discussion contained to the incident. I know that's tough, but lets please try.
Yeah, we're kind of getting off topic here...

At this point actually, there's no proof that the shooting is tied to Islamic militants. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The young soldier who was shot has just been identified as Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. He was part of the Reserve Forces and was guarding the memorial, and may have been unarmed. Unfortunately he didn't make it. May he rest in peace.

D

DeletedUser394

At this point actually, there's no proof that the shooting is tied to Islamic militants. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Actually, it's been confirmed. They have identified the deceased shooter as a convert to islam who recently had his passport confiscated by the government as he was deemed a threat to travel and join the fight in the middle east.

ISIS even 'tweeted' to confirm it. Pathetic individuals.

playa77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 5, 2014
Germany
Sorry MJ, a german can't resist talking about soccer. i'll stop there.

This is on a tangent, if you consider it off topic, please delete this post.

As a european who is not very familiar with the way politics work in Canada i wonder:
If this turns out to be a terrorist attack with more than one shooter involved (which now seems very likely) , what do you guys think will happen during the next weeks?

Will Canada in the very near future introduce Australian style Anti-Terrorism legislation or something like the Patriot Act?

D

DeletedUser394

If this turns out to be a terrorist attack with more than one shooter involved (which now seems very likely) , what do you guys think will happen during the next weeks?

I don't have an answer for that, however this is actually the second such terrorist attack in Canada in 3 days. The first one occurred when another convert radical ran over two soldiers with his car and killed one of them.

He was later shot and killed. It didn't get as much attention. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/why-did-a-25-year-old-quebec-man-commit-an-act-of-terror-1.2064762

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Actually, it's been confirmed. They have identified the deceased shooter as a convert to islam who recently had his passport confiscated by the government as he was deemed a threat to travel and join the fight in the middle east.

ISIS even 'tweeted' to confirm it. Pathetic individuals.

They must have confirmed it just recently then.

D

DeletedUser394

They must have confirmed it just recently then.

3 hours ago

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada...rper-says-after-shootings-in-ottawa-1.2065443

'CTV News has confirmed that the suspect in Wednesday’s attack is (f**** that guy). This is a reported photo of the suspect from an ISIS Twitter account which has been suspended.'

I added the words in parentheses.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
You're crazy if you think that anything other than long, long term education (not the clusterfuck we have now) actually SOLVES this for good, if such a thing is even possible.

playa77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 5, 2014
Germany
All these incidents do is strengthen the bond between a common people.

Here we have random bystanders who dropped everything and went to try and save the soldier as the entire chaotic event was unfolding around them.

View attachment 8450

As for the perps in both instances, they were both Caucasian, domestic terrorist 'converts'. Their 'ideology' should go without having to be said.

Sometimes a picture can say more than a thousand words. This one, i suspect, will be on a lot of front pages, come tomorrow. Big kudos to those people giving first aid.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Wow I guess the bastards really want a war then.

You're crazy if you think that anything other than long, long term education (not the clusterfuck we have now) actually SOLVES this for good, if such a thing is even possible.
Actually I'm pretty sure education is not the answer. Call me crazy.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
On second thought, education could mean many different things. Could you clarify please?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Can I do anything about it? No?
END.

Get back to reality & work on my stuff/business.

That is a damn ignorant attitude to have. What if one of these soldiers had been your friend/family? We should all just not give a shit?

Just because you can't change the past doesn't mean you need to act apathetic towards innocent people who were just slaughtered. If you are that selfish I highly doubt your ability to help other people with your "business".

And FYI, this is reality. I don't know what you think it is.

Never before have I thought lower of someone on this forum. I think you are an incredibly disrespectful person.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Perhaps, but how can anyone justify helping people that are actively plotting, trying to kill you, and destroy everything you believe in? Not to mention what right does the West have to tell these people how to live their lives? I love helping people, and actively donate to many organizations.. however I have no desire to help any of these people that have this ideology.

It's a fascinating and infuriating situation to be in.

Many of these places and people are just too far gone. I'd suspect it would take generations upon generations for anything to change.

Educating women would be a start, but when these savages are killing people for simply going to school (Pakistan, Nigeria, etc), it's almost not worth the effort.

ps: if anyone knows any organizations that you think are working towards a solution, let me know so I can donate.

Damedius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2014
These incidents tend to bring out the worst in really good people.

Some people that have made great threads on these forums, lose all perspective and lump everyone who believe in x religion or lives in x country is a bad person.

These are total logical and rational people who suddenly have a total brain fart and think because one person from x country did something, all people from that country are evil and need to be eliminated. Think about how illogical and childish this is for a second.

It seems that intelligent people are still very easily manipulated.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Downtown core is still on lock down. There Not mentioning the second guy at all anymore. The Shooter was apparently born and raised in Canada. But was apart of some online icis or Isys group. I don't know how it's spelt. Either way sounds like the guy was a wanna be. Only time will tell if it was an isolated incident or not.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
A lot of my friends who have been there told me you have a great country
Thank you for the compliment! I hear that alot from people. I'm proud to be Canadian. were to polite. alot of us still use EH! in the stereotypical sense. Beautiful healthy land. But If I have it my way I'll be spending the winters somewhere with sunshine and beaches haha! Screw -40!!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
That is a damn ignorant attitude to have. What if one of these soldiers had been your friend/family? We should all just not give a shit?

Just because you can't change the past doesn't mean you need to act apathetic towards innocent people who were just slaughtered. If you are that selfish I highly doubt your ability to help other people with your "business".

And FYI, this is reality. I don't know what you think it is.

Never before have I thought lower of someone on this forum. I think you are an incredibly disrespectful person.

This is only your own interpretation of what I said - which by the way is entirely wrong.
No one will do or say anything which is not a direct reflection of what they think or feel about themselves in that moment.

What if? What if I had died today? What if will die tomorrow? What if your comment is just an emotional reaction and doesn't make sense?

What I meant is that it's very easy to dwell on everything bad that's going on around us but does it really matter?
I read the news and of course it's a shame for what happened but you could dwell on that all day long scanning every news outlet out there, or focus on what currently matters more.

And I certainly am not going to spend any more time replying to your next emotional butt hurt reaction here. Good luck with that.

D

DeletedUser394

I'm proud to be Canadian.

I'm wearing every single item with a Maple Leaf or the word Canada on it tomorrow.

Also got my mini flag.

One of the greatest countries on earth, and that'll never change! :)

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
This is only your own interpretation of what I said - which by the way is entirely wrong.
No one will do or say anything which is not a direct reflection of what they think or feel about themselves in that moment.

What if? What if I had died today? What if will die tomorrow? What if your comment is just an emotional reaction and doesn't make sense?

What I meant is that it's very easy to dwell on everything bad that's going on around us but does it really matter?
I read the news and of course it's a shame for what happened but you could dwell on that all day long scanning every news outlet out there, or focus on what currently matters more.

And I certainly am not going to spend any more time replying to your next emotional butt hurt reaction here. Good luck with that.

By all means, feel free to tell us what you meant. That's a decently sized post to not say anything at all.

What if I interpreted your post correctly and you're too proud to say "Yeah, that was a dick move." Happens to me all the time when I say things in the heat of the moment. Nothing to be ashamed about.

What if it was possible to recognize that this thread was about showing respect to the victims and to Canadians, and that a callous attitude would come across as rude?

What if this thread was posted in "Current Events, Sports, Off-Topic", and if you only come here to talk business, you have no need to post in threads like this?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

Isn't it great to have the luxury of getting to just forget and move on with your life?

Honestly, sometimes I forget how comfortable my life is, when there's a whole world out there that's at war. Then incidents like this remind me of the reality every day.

The soldiers who are at war defending our country so we can can have discussions like this on this forum don't get to forget and move on.

Cpl. Cirillo's family won't be forgetting and moving on.

Have some respect.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
On second thought, education could mean many different things. Could you clarify please?

Education is not going to school and learning mathematics. It is learning why their ideology and religion (and most religions, yes PLEASE get offended) are utterly stupid, counter productive and illogical. Reshape what is considered valuable, and shun their values of today. 'Give the taste of the better life. Hey this is a TV. Hey this is freedom of marriage. Hey this is freedom of choice... Smells good, don't it?' I'd go into a lot more detail but I have to go to class, so I'll sum up quickly.

I mean, we've done this in 'the west' with religion and LGBT rights ever since Rock Music came around, and that wasn't even a concentrated effort, we are killing religion and stupidity, and although the war is NOT won over here, we ARE winning. How many hardcore religious 20 year olds you know?

@RichKid Let me preface this that I want to be extremely careful about what I say to you. You have a pain in this that I do not, just as the deceased family of that officer does, because it is a tragedy. It WILL take generations upon generations to change things, but it's not like 'WE' (The West) haven't gone and stirred this pot (that is ABSOLUTELY NOT AN EXCUSE FOR THESE ACTIONS, NOT ONE BIT.)

They see Martyrdom. Most of them probably just see revenge. Revenge for:

- All the people killed, sorry, casualities sustained during the peace missions in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Innocent Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib and worldwide blacksite detainees (I know Canada didn't build them. But we call them 'Muslims' and they call us 'The West' they don't differentiate, plus CN had involvement in these conflicts)
- Pussy-footed interference in politics (we'll kill everything then we'll install a moron puppet government and let them ruin your country, because it's in our interests.)

Do I believe we can do this with charity workers? Nope. The fighters and enforcers need to be killed, and a US government ex-spook I know actually told me that they are doing a very good job of destroying their own support in those countries. Destroy that which is beyond saving (and that isn't always done with head on war-fare, these groups are not as tight and organized as you'd think. Sowing discord.) and re-educate the rest as much as possible, so that pockets of kids don't grow up with 'the west' as a dartboard.

This is not even remotely in the detail I should have written it in, I have to go.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Wars aren't won with nukes and ammunition anymore.
A nuke will end a conflict with a nation. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
It'll start a lot more bad than good.

You cannot fight an idea with bullets. You cannot fight widespread ideas with nukes.
For every terrorist you shoot, 2 more join in honor of their friend or family.
The Army wouldn't have a PsyOps division if this wasn't the case. I know, I almost joined.

Tell me, if you were born into a society that tells you this is right and you are illiterate, would you question it?
More than likely, no.
Religion plays a big part into this. They have been raised and told that this is God's will. Majority of them can't even read their Holy Book.

Nuking them isn't an option. Too many innocent people who've never hurt anyone. I for one, couldn't get any sleep knowing that my country killed hundreds of thousands if not millions of people to get a few hundred or a couple thousand.

I use to be for making glass out of sand. Winning wars over ideologies is harder then pulling a trigger as I stated before.

The saying holds true to this day, the pen is mightier than the sword.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm also from Ottawa.

My wife and a buddy work a 2 minute walk from where this all went down. Their buildings (and many others) went into "lockdown" mode where they lock the doors and nobody gets in or out. Some schools in Ottawa were locked down as well. It was all over the news, stories of up to 5 gunmen, police begging people to stop reporting their locations on social media, downtown was crawling with cops, cell phones weren't working from too much call volume... it was an eventful day to be sure.

To add a dash of city-wide fear into the equation many parts of our city even lost power because of some fluke coincidence. Really bad timing during a terrorist attack for sure...

All things considered this could have been a lot, lot worse. Glad there was as few casualties as there were and its tragic that there had to be any.

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Any number of reasons. Canada joined the coalition against ISIS, and ISIS told their sheeple followers to attack people in Canada, particularly mentioning the use of cars (harder to acquire a gun here than in the usa). So a couple of days later some lunatic did just that.

At least one of the attackers had a double barreled shot gun. Obviously less effective than a semi automatic or anything like that. They are illegal here.

Semi-auto's aren't illegal here. I personally own 2, they're non-restricted. Don't need to register them.

2 attacks in 3 days. More is sure to come. These guys were 2 of 70 that are in the country and on a specific high profile terror watch list. I'm hoping they get rid of the other 68, but because they may not have done anything illegal yet, PC will dictate we leave them alone till they do attack.

Hopefully this just wakes up all the sheep that live in this country to the reality we live in now. There's bigger issues at play than what kardashian ate for breakfast.

I used to be against concealed carry, until I started actually studying the facts around it. Then I became all for it. Now it's just another example of why the law abiding of this country should be able to defend their lives. A carry permit exists in Canada, but only between 5-20 people actually have one in the entire country. It's nearly impossible to get under the current rules.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Its a tragedy. We in the US experienced much worse, and we learned the hard way that military solutions, just make the problem worse.

You can thank the opinion you have, RichKid, for ISIS. Without it, we never would have removed saddem and created the soil.

Beating ISIS is not a military endeavor - look at how such groups are defeated in history. You go after the money.

G

Guest3722A

I'm also from Ottawa.

My wife and a buddy work a 2 minute walk from where this all went down. Their buildings (and many others) went into "lockdown" mode where they lock the doors and nobody gets in or out. Some schools in Ottawa were locked down as well. It was all over the news, stories of up to 5 gunmen, police begging people to stop reporting their locations on social media, downtown was crawling with cops, cell phones weren't working from too much call volume... it was an eventful day to be sure.

To add a dash of city-wide fear into the equation many parts of our city even lost power because of some fluke coincidence. Really bad timing during a terrorist attack for sure...

All things considered this could have been a lot, lot worse. Glad there was as few casualties as there were and its tragic that there had to be any.
Lots of data about infrastructure and weaknesses as well as response.

G

Guest3722A

Semi-auto's aren't illegal here. I personally own 2, they're non-restricted. Don't need to register them.

2 attacks in 3 days. More is sure to come. These guys were 2 of 70 that are in the country and on a specific high profile terror watch list. I'm hoping they get rid of the other 68, but because they may not have done anything illegal yet, PC will dictate we leave them alone till they do attack.

Hopefully this just wakes up all the sheep that live in this country to the reality we live in now. There's bigger issues at play than what kardashian ate for breakfast.

I used to be against concealed carry, until I started actually studying the facts around it. Then I became all for it. Now it's just another example of why the law abiding of this country should be able to defend their lives. A carry permit exists in Canada, but only between 5-20 people actually have one in the entire country. It's nearly impossible to get under the current rules.
conversion to fully auto info is easily accessible all over the internet. Bad guys don't obey gun laws

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
You cannot fight an idea with bullets. You cannot fight widespread ideas with nukes.

The problem is that you're going too philosophical. Ideas will never be stopped. There is no way to get rid of an idea, which is man's greatest freedom and man's biggest curse. And yes, ideas often outlive the person.
Here the problem is different, and it's very short termed. ISIS is becoming more powerful by the day. They have MIGs now, they have tons of weaponry. They have money and power. They are also getting recruits in the western world. ISIS has to be stopped as soon as possible, and with whatever force is necessary. I am not talking about convincing a million guys that their religion is wrong (yes, good luck with that). I am talking about preventing a very dangerous escalation that is happening in front of our eyes. They need to be severely weakened, their weapons have to be decimated, and so their cash flow. The more problems they have, the more they will be unable to get new recruits, new weapons, and you can be sure that if things gets bad enough, internal feuds will start.
This is why arming groups and bombing them like they are doing now is not enough. Yes, you get rid of pockets, but it does not cripple them, not even psychologically. ISIS is not Al Qaeda; it's a whole different level here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.