The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ongoing Terrorist Attack on Canadian Parliament

D

DeletedUser394

This is quite disturbing. Reports that there are/were as many as 3 attackers.

They shot 1 uniformed soldier guarding a war memorial, and then invaded the Parliament Building itself.

There are now 3 confirmed shootings that occured in different sections of the area.

Police already killed one of them. If there's more, I hope they kill them all.

Videos are a bit disturbing, so caution there.

IMG_5851_2lowres.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

This is the second such event in a couple of days. A few days ago some lunatic convert ran down two soldiers with his car, killing one of them.

Thankfully, the police disposed of the attacker.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
What the hell is going on up there man?
All of this has been going on and not one person mentions it around here.

Why Canada?

D

DeletedUser394

What the hell is going on up there man?
All of this has been going on and not one person mentions it around here.

Why Canada?

Any number of reasons. Canada joined the coalition against ISIS, and ISIS told their sheeple followers to attack people in Canada, particularly mentioning the use of cars (harder to acquire a gun here than in the usa). So a couple of days later some lunatic did just that.

At least one of the attackers had a double barreled shot gun. Obviously less effective than a semi automatic or anything like that. They are illegal here.

D

DeletedUser394

The soldier that was shot has been confirmed to have died. He was just an unarmed reservist manning a ceremonial post guarding a peace memorial. :'(

A security guard has now also been shot.

That makes 2 dead soldiers this week.

One suspect still on the loose apparently.

F*ck these people man. Hope they rot in hell.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
nuke the bastards, starting from Iraq. No need to give weapons to any anti-ISIS group that will fight against us ten years from now, using the same weapons.
Nuking anyone would easily spark another war we do not need.

I'd say education is the key to getting this to end.

D

DeletedUser394

This has been going on for a couple thousand years. It will never end. It's an endless loop.

We are way past the point of ever achieving peaceful coexistence.

I once wanted to visit every country on earth. As time progressed I realized there are certain countries I will never visit/support/help and I don't care what happens to them.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
nuke the bastards, starting from Iraq. No need to give weapons to any anti-ISIS group that will fight against us ten years from now, using the same weapons.
Or stop arming rebels who then become terrorist groups. We've been fighting individuals who have been armed / trained by the U.S for ages now

This. Obviously education is a long term solution and not a short term one though. Education on both sides of the equation.

You can't nuke an idea. Collateral damage and even targeted killings create more enemies (friends, family members, etc)

Decentralized networks route around damage so killing a small portion does little to no good.

Enough political shit though.

This coming from a guy who has spent 1.5 years in Iraq, 3+ in Afghanistan, and additional time throughout the middle east. I've been there for the backlash

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
You can't nuke an idea. Collateral damage and even targeted killings create more enemies (friends, family members, etc)

As much as I hate to say this (since I'm a hyper-pacifist), history has shown that, in some cases, utterly destroying a nation seems to bring a more lasting peace than just "surgically removing" certain radical elements.

Germany and Japan are proof that this approach "resets" certain areas and allows them to start over (both are now at the top with regards to their economies - Japan even used to strictly isolate itself from the world before they lost in WW2).
You said you can't nuke an idea... apparently, you can.

Now, as I mentioned, I'm just stating what history has shown. I'm sure there's ALWAYS a diplomatic solution, especially since times are changing.
And just because something has worked in the past doesn't mean you need (or are even allowed/entitled) to repeat that - especially because it costs so many lives. I believe every life is precious.

And history has also shown that diplomatic approaches are just as effective as military intervention. People just don't notice them as much because the media usually only focuses on "dramatic" stuff like armed conflict.

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
As much as I hate to say this (since I'm a hyper-pacifist), history has shown that utterly destroying a nation seems to bring a more lasting peace than just "surgically removing" certain radical elements.

Keyword: Nation

Isis is not a Nation. Hell, Iraq really isn't even a nation. It's a completely divided country with lines drawn by the British. There won't be peace as long as the borders remain the same.

But let's just go ahead an nuke 10's of millions of people so they stop killing each other..that would make sense /s

D

DeletedUser394

There is no solution. The situation is too complex with too many variables.

Bombing them doesn't solve the problem, and education won't either unless we're talking another couple thousand years from now.

This ending scene pretty much sums it up.

How did I feel after 9/11 ? I wanted all of those bastards dead (still do). How did they feel towards us when NATO started bombing them? They want all of us dead (and still do as well).

Sad to say, but human nature is such that there will never be peace.

Humans are just irrational idiots frankly.

These conflicts, wars, attacks are all stupid and pointless.

What did today's attack solve? Nothing. A mother and father no longer have a son. All he was doing was his job. More wackos are going to be inspired by this, and more pro westerners are going to want them dead just as much as before.

If a person wants to do harm to me, my family, or my country.. I don't want to educate them, nor seek a peaceful resolution. I want to introduce a bullet to their frontal lobe. And they think the same way.

Nothing will ever change. In the entirety of human history nothing has changed.

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
How did I feel after 9/11 ? I wanted all of those bastards dead (still do). How did they feel towards us when NATO started bombing them? They want all of us dead (and still do as well).

Sad to say, but human nature is such that there will never be peace.

Humans are just irrational idiots frankly.

These conflicts, wars, attacks are all stupid and pointless.

What did today's attack solve? Nothing. A mother and father no longer have a son. All he was doing was his job. More wackos are going to be inspired by this, and more pro westerners are going to want them dead just as much as before.

Agreed.
One conflict ends, another one starts. Rinse, Repeat.

This is why decided to completely stay out of this.
Life's too short to spend it trying to fight some ideals that are not your own. Or fighting wars for politicians that have decided not to be friends anymore.

Trying to enjoy life as much as possible, trying to make a living, trying to spoil those I love with nice stuff and sharing joy is far more fulfilling to me.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
This should be closed. I think we all agree that this stuff is terrible.

But suppose an Iraqi immigrant reads here whose relatives still live there and he reads here that his entire nation should be nuked...

We tried to solve aggression with aggression for hundreds of years. I think the approach failed.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
He was just an unarmed reservist manning a ceremonial post guarding a peace memorial. :'(

Of course. Did you think for a second that terrorists would ever have the balls to try and fight an actual armed soldier on fair terms?

As an aside, the police at these facilities really need to up their game for firearm incident response. In that one video, they're in a gaggle in the center of a wide open hall looking for the shooter. That's very unsafe. They should be hugging the walls with the center covered from the rear.

I hope they save Canada the expense of a trial.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
the police at these facilities really need to up their game for firearm incident response.

I live 10 mins away from the action. It's pretty sad. Alot of us in Ottawa take pride in the fact that you can just walk into the most Important building in canada at anytime. During normal work hours of course. I know parliament Hill very well, Been living here 30 years. There is always at the least 5 marked cars on the "front lawn" of parliament. and probably 10 total around the hill. It doesn't make sense that the guy made it inside. But at the same time. There is always tourists buzzing around so it really wouldn't be that hard to hug a crowd of people and walk rite in. Where the guard was shot and where parliament hill is. you walk 40 yards, turn right and your on the busiest street in Ottawa and 300 yards from the front door.
Our doors are locked. I heard an interview with a police officer stating they are very certain there were 2 people. I doubt he'll choose our door if he's still out there. But he's more than welcome to try ;)

D

DeletedUser394

Can I do anything about it? No?
END.

Get back to reality & work on my stuff/business.

Yes, go back to your 'business'.

Knowing many people in the Canadian reserves, and myself having interacted with the local regiment not long ago, this hit close to home, and I wanted an outlet to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

playa77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 5, 2014
Germany
I live 10 mins away from the action. It's pretty sad. Alot of us in Ottawa take pride in the fact that you can just walk into the most Important building in canada at anytime. During normal work hours of course. I know parliament Hill very well, Been living here 30 years. There is always at the least 5 marked cars on the "front lawn" of parliament. and probably 10 total around the hill. It doesn't make sense that the guy made it inside. But at the same time. There is always tourists buzzing around so it really wouldn't be that hard to hug a crowd of people and walk rite in. Where the guard was shot and where parliament hill is. you walk 40 yards, turn right and your on the busiest street in Ottawa and 300 yards from the front door.
Our doors are locked. I heard an interview with a police officer stating they are very certain there were 2 people. I doubt he'll choose our door if he's still out there. But he's more than welcome to try ;)

Stay safe, this will likely be over soon.
My thoughts are with you canadians right now. A lot of my friends who have been there told me you have a great country, one which i would surely like to visit some day. I had the chance to get to know some of your countrymen recently, which was a very pleasant experience.

I cannot imagine what the situation would be like here in Germany if something similar to this were to happen. This is some serious shit.

D

DeletedUser394

Stay safe, this will likely be over soon.
My thoughts are with you canadians right now. A lot of my friends who have been there told me you have a great country, one which i would surely like to visit some day. I had the chance to get to know some of your countrymen recently, which was a very pleasant experience.

I cannot imagine what the situation would be like here in Germany if something similar to this were to happen. This is some serious shit.

I used to work in the hospitality industry, and by far the largest group of foreign visitors are/were German. Got pretty crazy during the World Cup around here!

playa77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 5, 2014
Germany
I used to work in the hospitality industry, and by far the largest group of foreign visitors are/were German. Got pretty crazy during the World Cup around here!

Haha, i can imagine that. The evening when we won the World Cup it was absolutely batshit crazy around here. Think big street crossings where traffic just stopped, and people where standing on their cars waving flags, hugging and singing, including the local police :D

But just recently, i've learned that canadians can and like to party just as hard as we do. And i'd like to correct my previous sentence:
"great country, one which i would surely like to visit some day". Replace "i would surely like to" with "i will".

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

I'm pretty sure what @Mike Kavanagh meant was that you can't just nuke them because they're over in Iraq, and blowing them up will get rid of them.

They want you to think they're in one geographic location, so you don't know where to take the fight. Many people even think they're all brown-skinned, breaded, headdress wearing fundamentalists. The fact is, many of them, the same ones saying the want to attack Canada, were born right in this country, look just like you or I, were educated in the same schools as you or I, and carry Canadian passports. Let that sink in for a moment.

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
Its a sad situation indeed. I used to read the news about this war everyday but it just depressed me. Its been happening for thousands of years and will continue to happen. The weird thing about it is Turkey can obliterate these guys, Baghdad also has a large enough army to take them out, but it seems there is a bigger plan behind all of this.

I have gained a lot of respect for the Kurds for battling ISIS in a war they didn't even start.

playa77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 5, 2014
Germany
I'm pretty sure what @Mike Kavanagh meant was that you can't just nuke them because they're over in Iraq, and blowing them up will get rid of them.

They want you to think they're in one geographic location, so you don't know where to take the fight. Many people even think they're all brown-skinned, breaded, headdress wearing fundamentalists. The fact is, many of them, the same ones saying the want to attack Canada, were born right in this country, look just like you or I, were educated in the same schools as you or I, and carry Canadian passports. Let that sink in for a moment.

Yes, sadly. We have the same situation in Germany with the Salafists, an extremist muslim group. I've always said that if they want to live under sharia law, they of course are free to emigrate to Saudi Arabia. Yet, some of their most outspoken leaders are germans by birth and heritage. Hard to take their passport away and sent them to another country...

But these same people are always the ones who have failed in our society, no matter their background. So i get what @Mike Kavanagh says, education is the long term solution, but how to get it to those children if their parents don't want it?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
C'mon guys try to keep the discussion contained to the incident. I know that's tough, but lets please try.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.