The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To move out of home or not?

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
I'm not sure if it's a smart financial decision. I'm in my early 20's living at home and do not pay any bills. My expenses are my car, hobbies/outings/entertainment, self maintenance (gym etc).

I've started 2 degrees and dropped out of both of them - which has annoyed my parents greatly. The past 4 months has been mentally draining, my parents fight and argue with me each night. I understand they want the best for me, and will support me in my ventures, but they've had enough because I didn't complete uni.

They call me a bum, a loser - and a whole lot of other things. They tell me I'm going no where with my life, which is understandable - I'm in a slow lane job that any other shmuck could get.

I simply do not have the discipline required for a university student. By trade, I'm a graphic designer and work 4 days a week in a small firm in a g.design/marketing role. I do free lance work after hours and work as a bouncer fri-sun nights. I earn $704 from my slow lane job before tax and $600 cash from the clubs. My freelance work earns me $200-$500 depending on how much work I can get after hours. On average I'm making $1,500 for a shit load of hours per week :(

Now, this is the dilemma I'm facing. Do I keep this work up and move out into a small studio apartment and become independent - ridding all mental stress from family? I'll be budgeting to live, which I haven't got a problem with, but by moving out, I've got to be sure I'm bringing X amount of money in so I can pay the bills.

By moving out as well, I'm sacrificing my time which I'd like to be putting into fast lane ventures.

If I stay home, I'll have no financial stress and be able to let go of some work to focus on my fast lane ventures - but I'll have parental problems, them being invasive in what I do and where I go, arguments every night about me doing nothing with my life and all that dizzle.

I know some people leave home in their teens, but I have honestly been baby sat all my life and feel like moving out may get me moving with my fast lane goals. At home, I feel so safe and always say tomorrow to do things.

Any guidance/experience with this and how your life changed would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm also trying to go full time free lance and ditch my 9-5 job. I'd prefer earning $1,000 than $1,500. That $500 less income is 4 working days of my time, which is pretty hefty.

Thanks guys :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

You have an income, you're an adult, you should be contributing to the household if you don't move out.

Everyone is going to say 'move out now bro', but in many cultures people live with their families well into adulthood and that's totally fine, but you have to pay your fair share.

However it's more or less clear you need to move out. Rent a room, you don't need a whole apartment.

Not enough cash to sustain your basic necessities? Hobbies/outings/entertainment goes to zero until you have a solid foundation under you.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
You have an income, you're an adult, you should be contributing to the household if you don't move out.

Everyone is going to say 'move out now bro', but in many cultures people live with their families well into adulthood and that's totally fine, but you have to pay your fair share.

However it's more or less clear you need to move out. Rent a room, you don't need a whole apartment.

Not enough cash to sustain your basic necessities? Hobbies/outings/entertainment goes to zero until you have a solid foundation under you.

That's also another problem. My culture sees children living with their parents until they're married. I wouldn't want family to be 'talking' about my family as though we have problems.

D

DeletedUser394

You're fortunate to live in a Westernized country.. which means regardless of where your family previously came from (I'm not discredit it at all) you have full choice of how to live your life.

You ultimately have to do what's best for you.

You really only have 1 of 2 options

Either try to improve the relationship with your parents while remaining at home, or move out and see what it's like.

You can always move out for a trial run. Sign a month to month lease agreement and compare the two lifestyles, see which works best for you.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I am 20 years old as well and I still live at home with my dad- I have more than enough money to move out and live on my own, but my dad and I both agreed that for me, at this point in my life, my money is better spent going towards my business as apposed to going towards my rent. So I don't see anything wrong with living at home, as long as you are trying to progress, trying to work towards moving out on your own, and trying to build a business.

I know that with myself, it is understood that I am allowed to live at home as long as I am working on my business, as long as I am progressing, and as long as I am still taking care of my adult responsibilities- I don't pay rent or utilities, but I pay for every other expense in my life, including groceries, phone bill, insurance...etc. My dad has made it clear that he is allowing me to live at home because he wants to see my succeed- NOT so that he can baby or coddle me. So as long as I am doing these things, he is fine with it. But, with that being said, I am aiming to move out in about a year- my goal is to be out by my 22nd birthday.

But, if I was you- I would probably move out. I wouldn't want to live in an environment where I was fighting with my parents all the time, not only is this unhealthy but if it continues for a long period of time, it could damage your overall relationship that you have with your parents. Try to work things out with them, try to make them understand that you are trying to make something of yourself, and see if they understand- if they do, than continue living at home. If not, I would move out- it would probably better for everyone at that point.

Last edited:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I moved out when I was 22. Worst decision ever. Yea it was cool living in my own place but you don't realize how fast expenses add up. Rent, utilities, cable, food, laundry, furniture, a month for security. If I stayed at home for another 5 years I could have saved 100 k +. Think about that before you're quick to move out. Don't become a lifetime wage slave! Try to build some income producing assets first that you can continually reinvest into.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
How much money were you able to save? A $6000 / month income is great especially if you're not paying for rent. You should be able to save $5000 every month. Do that for at least half a year before thinking of moving out.

During this time, try not to argue with your parents too much. If you improve your relationship with them now, they'll be a lot more understanding when you decide to move out.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
My expenses are my car, hobbies/outings/entertainment, self maintenance (gym etc).

I think that in an episode of Shark Tank, a wanterprneur told Daymond John that he wanted to live with a six figure salary. Daymond looked at him disappointed and told him that in order to succeed, he must be willing to live with macaroni and cheese.

Not sure if you need your car for your work, but for the other things, you can surely cut expenses. Here is a great Youtube channel about working out at home https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftagEsyzmVwwKZyaFtNgBA

Here are my 2 cents. I am in a worst situation than you. I am 25 years old, I stopped my day job as a trainer, I have maximum 1600 euros in my bank account, my mother can not support me, my father hasn't said happy birthday to me for 3 yearns now and I am going to rent a house in a different area, in the hopes of cooperating with a dietitian friend of mine.

I am willing to do anything in order to stay on my own, because, like you, living with my mother does not work for me, my focus and whatever job related I am going to do. If it does not work, I am gonna lose the money I have, move back in with my mother and try to figure out what to do next. But if it works, even if my current job as a trainer is not Fastlane, it's gonna be lots of times better than now.

Here is a thread that always inspires me
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/success-story-cantwait2.231/

I think it was @JasonR that moved back in with his parents at the age of 28 to try and make his company work, so don't worry about moving in with your parents.

In the end, I believe the biggest problem right now, is trying to figure out how to make your parents think that you are not a bum. Not gonna lie, if you live an extravagant life (outings/entertainment) and you work as a bouncer, I can see why they might want to call you a bum.

For me, the only thing that made my mother literally shut up and not complain to me about anything, was giving some of the money that I earned. One day I gave my whole salary the same day I was paid, without even making it a big deal. Maybe you can do it once and I am sure that it will help ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I simply do not have the discipline required for a university student.

$1500 a week is a VERY respectable salary for someone who does not have a college education. I'm a bit worried for you; college requires far less discipline than starting your own biz.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Thank you all for your advice, I honestly appreciate it very much. I didn't make it clear, but in regards to outings/entertainment, that's like once or twice a week at most i.e coffee with friends or movies, because with security I'm pretty much on call for the weekend period I rarely do things apart from gym, come back home do freelance work/surf net/game/work on fast lane.

I also don't drink, so to be honest, I spend maybe $200 at most a week on myself (that's being generous).

My money is being saved at the moment. I've got just shy of $60,000 in my bank account. My first car is fully paid off, it's a small lancer that I bought for $14,000. My parents put $10,000 in on my 21st birthday (I was very lucky) and I covered the rest.

$1500 a week is a VERY respectable salary for someone who does not have a college education. I'm a bit worried for you; college requires far less discipline than starting your own biz.

I understand what you mean, but I think I should back my self up here. I started a law degree first year out of school. I completed 3 semesters and knew it wasn't for me, nor was I wanting to live the corporate life style. Dropped out of that, and got my designers diploma because I've always been art savvy, and I needed some sort of trade/credential.

Worked quite a bit in cafes, odd jobs, free lancing and security. Found the fast lane forum when surfing the net and typed in 'why am I a loser' (srs lol).

After reading TMF and surfing this forum, I got this buzz inside of me knowing I wanted to be a fast laner, I want to be free.

I thought it'd be a good idea if I went back to uni, maybe study marketing? I took up a business degree and majored in marketing. 4 year degree, I completed 2 semesters (1 year) with flying colours as well.

I dropped out. Why? I learnt more about marketing, economics and business in general from this forum alone. I laughed at myself and thought screw it, I'm leaving uni, I'll work a slow lane job to get by and work on a fast lane project after hours.

Basically, my parents understand the fast lane and what I'm trying to do, but they literally think it's INSTANT. I've tried 2 small ventures this year. One showed small promise and return, but ultimately I stopped them both because they weren't executed properly.

I've spent $7,000 this year on my ventures - I lost $5,000 of it. Never in my life have I trusted myself enough to spend that much money with a low income on a gamble. They tell me I'm an idiot because I spent or lost money. It's just F*cking ridiculous at home. People have got it worse off than me, but the mental stress they put on me is crazy. They say I stress them and will give them a heart attack, HELL, they stress me just as much! It's worse for the child as well, because there's the worry of disappointment PLUS all other stresses that come with it all.

Then there's my dad wanting me to get into the property game with him. I bought my first property with him as I'm learning the ropes. I had one venture started 3 months ago that failed, simply because I gave it no time on MY time off. Instead my Dad would verbally force me to be with him when ever he went to meetings etc regarding the property, simply because "you've got nothing going on for you, so you will learn this".

It is so embarrassing for me to writing this all, I am a grown man and I know I can be independent. It's just my culture and family values always respect the parents authority, hence me always getting the short straw.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you Asian? Just wondering based on what you said about your culture.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If you move out you're away from the toxic thinking and messages from your parents. It's tough leaving the situation. Yes hardship comes, but at the same time it motivates you to succeed and become the person you desire to be. If you can manage to live in studio apartment or even rent out a room, you have much more peace and quiet. You can focus on your goals instead of having people interfere in your life and choices.

You're not a loser unless you believe you're a loser. You can hear people say all kinds of crap about you in the world, fortunately we can never escape it. It's never about you in the first place. You're supposed to, or ought to do this, in their opinion. It doesn't make it right. It doesn't make it wrong. What's right for someone else is not right for you.

Parents want to stay in control, rule the kingdom, and do what I say, not what I do. There mindset and belief system probably doesn't match up with yours or even the times of today. It happens to every generation. You can't allow them to manipulate you, make you feel shameful, guilty, or make you feel terrible for being who you are and what you want to do.

It's your life. You are the creator of your own reality. There reality, wishes, dreams, or what ever they desire is not your path. Take control of your life, and take it back. Do what is appropriate for you, and set emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical boundaries.

Remember they have their own issues they never sifted through, and most likely never inner developed on some levels. Everyone has a problem with you in this world. They're either making you the villain or the hero at any given moment. It just depends on what story they're creating in their minds about you, and how they project their past on you. They're experience and not yours.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I simply do not have the discipline required for a university student. By trade, I'm a graphic designer and work 4 days a week in a small firm in a g.design/marketing role. I do free lance work after hours and work as a bouncer fri-sun nights. I earn $704 from my slow lane job before tax and $600 cash from the clubs. My freelance work earns me $200-$500 depending on how much work I can get after hours. On average I'm making $1,500 for a shit load of hours per week

So you basically work 3 jobs, and your parents call you a bum and a loser? Move out ASAP and don't look back, you'll never hit any fastlane success with people tormenting you all day. Being bullied and torn down everyday isn't conducive to success, whether it comes from your parents or strangers. You already have the work ethic to succeed, clearly.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
If you move out you're away from the toxic thinking and messages from your parents. It's tough leaving the situation. Yes hardship comes, but at the same time it motivates you to succeed and become the person you desire to be. If you can manage to live in studio apartment or even rent out a room, you have much more peace and quiet. You can focus on your goals instead of having people interfere in your life and choices.

You're not a loser unless you believe you're a loser. You can hear people say all kinds of crap about you in the world, fortunately we can never escape it. It's never about you in the first place. You're supposed to, or ought to do this, in their opinion. It doesn't make it right. It doesn't make it wrong. What's right for someone else is not right for you.

Parents want to stay in control, rule the kingdom, and do what I say, not what I do. There mindset and belief system probably doesn't match up with yours or even the times of today. It happens to every generation. You can't allow them to manipulate you, make you feel shameful, guilty, or make you feel terrible for being who you are and what you want to do.

It's your life. You are the creator of your own reality. There reality, wishes, dreams, or what ever they desire is not your path. Take control of your life, and take it back. Do what is appropriate for you, and set emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical boundaries.

Remember they have their own issues they never sifted through, and most likely never inner developed on some levels. Everyone has a problem with you in this world. They're either making you the villain or the hero at any given moment. It just depends on what story they're creating in their minds about you, and how they project their past on you. They're experience and not yours.

Thank you for that insightful response, that really put things into perspective.

So you basically work 3 jobs, and your parents call you a bum and a loser? Move out ASAP and don't look back, you'll never hit any fastlane success with people tormenting you all day. Being bullied and torn down everyday isn't conducive to success, whether it comes from your parents or strangers. You already have the work ethic to succeed, clearly.

By no means is someone working multiple jobs a bum, however, my parents started from nothing and sacrificed a lot to put me through a good school and make sure my upbringing was the best they could provide. I appreciate that so much from them.

I got into uni (their dream for me and my siblings) but it was there were I realised it wasn't for me.

They use 'loser' and 'bum' simply because of the opportunity I was given to get a "prestigious" job one day, and I threw it all away, now running around trying to make money.

I have friends who've finished university and are working in politics/law. Their careers are looking bright... but long and draining. They attend fancy functions and sip on cocktails, 'networking' and all, whilst I'm still trying to find my feet.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
A LOT of good advice !

So you basically work 3 jobs, and your parents call you a bum and a loser?
Ya....not right.

I'm a parent and cannot relate to parents that put this kind of pressure on their kids and putting them down.

My first thought was that you should have a true, heart to heart, adult talk with both your parents at the same time. I'm not sure if this would work as I do not know your culture.

BUT...If you tell them you love them and understand they want the best for you and you appreciate it so much....it might help. Tell them you DO listen to them. That you're so grateful for all they do for you. (My kids tell me this from time to time and I tear up every time).

Also let them know every person must find their own path. That you have made mistakes and will make more. Be open and honest. Tell them how much the arguing is hurting you and that you don't want to move out but if it continues, then you must.

If you can live at home in peace and make the money you're making, and work on your Fastlane....that is ideal. I am afraid the kind of stress in your home will damage your relationship with your parents, and possibly hold you back from moving forward with your professional choices.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

D

DeletedUser12

Honestly, you are so far ahead of most people your age or even 10 years older. With almost 60k saved and making 72k / year you have a lot of options, something a lot of people don't have.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
This is easy, to me. Move out.

They mentally abuse you all of the time. You have no idea how bad that is hurting you (your mindset).

You make plenty of money to afford your own place. Not to mention living at your parents without having to pay "adult bills" is making you really comfortable. Comfort isn't helping you right now.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a place today.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Honestly, you are so far ahead of most people your age or even 10 years older. With almost 60k saved and making 72k / year you have a lot of options, something a lot of people don't have.

You're right man, I am very grateful for anything and everything I have, but it's pretty draining. My lifestyle compared to my friends at the moment is me working a crap load hours to get that money, whilst they work mon-fri and the weekend is theirs!

My senior designer who offloads work to me and another designer, works significantly less hours than us, and earns significantly more (corporate ladder).

She works 35 hours a week and earns over $2,000

I work 55-60 hours a week and earn $1,500

LOL that's depressing.

I've also got a huge unnecessary student debt I gave my self by not completing my degrees... Which REALLY sucks.

I spoke to my cousin about this as well, and his advice was to ditch my 9-5 job and focus on my business. I've got freelance work and security to bring in some cash, and by living at home it's a massive safety net allowing me to do so.

If I manage to bring in some income, then I should think about moving out. The only problem I see with that is I'll always be in my parents faces. They'll see me at home on the computer bringing in no money for the day and automatically assume bludger...

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I remember MJ said(i think) : "If you dont move out, you're skipping adulthood"

I'm 23 and im moving out tomorrow with 2 roomates actually.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So you make $72k a year and you still live with your parents?

Pay off the debt quick and get the hell out of there. Get a tiny a$$ place, eat rice beans and eggs, and hustle your a$$ off. 60 hours a week does suck but you make enough money to support a venture.

Figure out what earns you the smallest money return on your time and drop it in favor of building your business.

I'm with you on the culture thing though, even tho I stopped getting bankrolled at 19. I'm expected to help support my parents in some way after they retire, but I'm 100% ok with that.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Being a young adult sucks more than ever now. The cost of living is higher than it was during our parents time, and we have facebook and other social COMPARISON sites helping you feel inadequate all the time.

A lot of people I know who are in their 20s are living at home and paycheck to paycheck.

Your situation is very similar to mine. I moved out at 25 (FYI I just turned 25 this year).

I was living with my dad and sisters in the same house I was living in for the last 20 years. My dad is even worse than your parents, not only is he verbally abusive but he also has money problems. Which means almost every month he's behind on the bills and so he starts bitching at my sisters and I that he has no money and that we are gonna lose the house.

To make problems worse, there was a pretty bad bed bug problem, which meant I had to sleep on a table to avoid getting bit at night.

I had sort of moved out before, I spent a few DAYS in the dorms at college, and I later lived in the shop I had from a previous business.

Unlike you I had ABSOLUTELY NO SAVINGS! and a substantial amount of debt, about $6000 from previous failed businesses. All of my family can barely support themselves and so the only people I can ask for money are friends. Which I usually try to avoid because its embarrassing. After years of resisting getting a job I eventually got one and several after. then right as I was making progress I would get fired, so i could never get out of debt and save money.

Ultimately it was the bed bugs that made me get the F*ck out of there. Sleeping on a table is just pathetic.

I had absolutely $0 available but I managed to convince the landlord to let me live in the studio without paying him for a month.

Eventually through clever credit card offer manipulations and brass balls, I managed to gather the money to make the first months rent and deposit.

I also didn't want to be completely lonely so I had a chick move in with me to be my personal assistant/ roommate.

I have to tell you, moving out was the best decision EVER for me. I don't have to deal with the constant negativity of the family, I don't have to deal with lack of my own space and getting all my tools lost by my sister's boyfriend. AND I most definitely don't have to deal with those god forsaken bed bugs no more!!

Although I have have a new bill now, the added piece of mind is worth it. I'm sleeping on an inflatable bed at the moment. The water heater doesn't always work either, which is ok since I don't have AC and I have to sleep in my own sweat sometimes.

I'm living as frugally as possible and putting all my money into my current venture. Thankfully I'm skilled and very thrifty in business so at the moment the major expenses I have are just a business services, legal fees and payroll. My mom always makes food for me to entice me to visit her more often so I just eat with her. Gas is easy, and slow unsecured internet is free from the neighbors, and secure internet is available at my dads.

I would say I had plenty of reasons why NOT to move out. I didn't have any money as a result of previous debt and cost of living. Also WHEN shit hits the fan I have no one who can help me financially (or emotionally either) which is another reason why I didn't have any savings. However, because I have worked with wealthy people already and had the chance to see that I am equally skilled as they are in business, I feel confident I will get ahead.

If it weren't for my rich friends I wouldn't have the mindset I have now.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
My money is being saved at the moment. I've got just shy of $60,000 in my bank account. My first car is fully paid off, it's a small lancer that I bought for $14,000. My parents put $10,000 in on my 21st birthday (I was very lucky) and I covered the rest.

If you've got 60k in the bank and are making that much per month, you should move out immediately - and buy something nice for your parents to say thanks for all the free rent when you could have afforded it in the first place!

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Before you do move out try to mend those relationships or at least leave on a good note.

If you do stay , don't reply to an insult with insult let success do the talking.

If they are invasive let them find that your aiming for success.

Dont let a couple months/yrs make you forget the time they supported you.
Its easy to forget that.

Work on your discipline and build it up.

get a timer and start with 20 mins of intense focus on some work then 30 , after that 40 and so forth.
I usually work in 70 mins blocks then 10 mins break sometimes a power nap (if I can).

samdee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 3, 2014
I'm not sure if it's a smart financial decision. I'm in my early 20's living at home and do not pay any bills. My expenses are my car, hobbies/outings/entertainment, self maintenance (gym etc).

I've started 2 degrees and dropped out of both of them - which has annoyed my parents greatly. The past 4 months has been mentally draining, my parents fight and argue with me each night. I understand they want the best for me, and will support me in my ventures, but they've had enough because I didn't complete uni.

They call me a bum, a loser - and a whole lot of other things. They tell me I'm going no where with my life, which is understandable - I'm in a slow lane job that any other shmuck could get.

I simply do not have the discipline required for a university student. By trade, I'm a graphic designer and work 4 days a week in a small firm in a g.design/marketing role. I do free lance work after hours and work as a bouncer fri-sun nights. I earn $704 from my slow lane job before tax and $600 cash from the clubs. My freelance work earns me $200-$500 depending on how much work I can get after hours. On average I'm making $1,500 for a shit load of hours per week :(

Now, this is the dilemma I'm facing. Do I keep this work up and move out into a small studio apartment and become independent - ridding all mental stress from family? I'll be budgeting to live, which I haven't got a problem with, but by moving out, I've got to be sure I'm bringing X amount of money in so I can pay the bills.

By moving out as well, I'm sacrificing my time which I'd like to be putting into fast lane ventures.

If I stay home, I'll have no financial stress and be able to let go of some work to focus on my fast lane ventures - but I'll have parental problems, them being invasive in what I do and where I go, arguments every night about me doing nothing with my life and all that dizzle.

I know some people leave home in their teens, but I have honestly been baby sat all my life and feel like moving out may get me moving with my fast lane goals. At home, I feel so safe and always say tomorrow to do things.

Any guidance/experience with this and how your life changed would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm also trying to go full time free lance and ditch my 9-5 job. I'd prefer earning $1,000 than $1,500. That $500 less income is 4 working days of my time, which is pretty hefty.

Move out bro. Rent a small room. Start an online business. Buy things you NEED, not things you FEEL you need. If possible move to a 3rd world country in Asia. Earn like a king Spend like a pauper.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
$6,000 a month is nothing to sneeze at. If you go out twice a week, work out regularly and have several jobs and more than $50k in your account then you are doing better than most people - myself included.

I also wondered if you were Asian. I can see how your culture demands parental and family respect and loyalty; I also see why your parents are so focused on the Slowlane... We are taught that it is safe.

I haven't "worked" since July 31, and I have more energy and motivation to succeed than I did July 30. I think if you conserved your expenses and got a quiet room to do your thing and succeed, it will help you. Sure it may rock the boat, culturally, but you aren't going to sit here and tell ME your parents think you're a loser for a paid off car, $72K income and whatnot because they can't tell everyone you're a doctor or lawyer. FTS.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014

Our parents cared for us so much that they did everything in their power to raise us in a fair and just environment.

The worst is, you depend too much with your parents.

What will happen to you if they will move away or if they will die?

You need to move out as soon as possible. This is a difficult step on the journey to independent living, but you must start doing things on your own.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Echoing the other posts---

Dude. Move. It's not worth the aggravation. Your parents may WANT what's best for you, but they don't necessarily KNOW what's best for you. Your situation is much better than you think. You are still very young, you have a solid chunk of cash, and you make great money for a 22 year old. And besides, you probably can't bring girls back to your parent's house. :rockon:

Knowing very little about your situation, I would suggest:

1) Moving. Get a couple of roommates to save money.

2) Building your portfolio so you can take on higher paying freelance work.

3) Working on your Fastlane business.

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Work on first getting the relationship sorted with your parents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.