The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is EDM fastlane?

Oph

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 7, 2017
Portugal
Hello everyone.

In the past, I discarded my passion as a fastlane road, since I figured that it didn't obey the CENTS commandments. I'm curious to know your opinion on this.

What are your thoughts on the music industry?
Would you consider an electronic music producer a fastlaner?
How would you describe the CENTS for this particular road?

Disclaimer: don't worry, I'm just wondering. I'm making progress on my journey :)

Oph

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Elephant Donkey Magic?

Not sure how that relates to a business or what model you would use to make it go faster...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Whether your business is a fastlane or not depends on a business system. That's my opinion at least.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Some people (like me!) love electronic dance music, and similar forms of music like progressive house, etc.

I've paid to go to concerts and dances before.
I've paid for individual pieces of music online before.
I've paid for music streaming services before.

You just have to find or make a way to tap into those paying audiences!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
EDM = Electronic Dance Music

I don't think a producer can be fastlane, your time will always be needed.

Do something like http://www.di.fm/. Stream music and charge to remove commercials.

Read this story:

SubmitHub on Indie Hackers

He turned a problem on his website into a great business.

Last edited:

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Well... EDM is on a downwards trend I'd say. It will rebound again, just like how it went away after the 90s and came back in 2009.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Well, there's money to made that's for sure. I've got something to say, but I'm not an expert in the industry ... at all, I just enjoy the music and events. And sometimes I feel like I could be a great DJ if I just learned how to DJ haha.

A music producer has the potential to make a lot of money, and some of course do. Funny thing is the best example of the biggest businessman in the EDM scene to my knowledge is Pasquale Rotella. However according to "The Richest" he has three times less net worth than David Guetta (I believe the highest paid DJ). And David Guetta got a divorce, and I believe at least half of his assets went to his ex-wife. Even if that's not factored into the currently displayed net worth, he still has more (according to that website -- questionable). I thought it would be the opposite. Maybe he didn't have his personal finances covered as well? Lost a lot more since he has to risk a lot? IDK...

Still, the EDM industry is big. And a lot of other industries profit from it (hotels, transportation, venues, plastic bead companies, glow stick companies, electric companies :smile:). *hint hint*

Getting into it as a producer and succeeding? With that, I believe the focus should be on producing banging choons and marketing them!

P.S. Check these links out...

Insomniac Has Generated More Than $3 Billion for the US Economy in the Past 5 Years

Report Reveals EDC Vegas’ $1.3B+ Impact on Local Economy

P.P.S. Post some banging choons in this thread. :cool: Music that Motivates

Bach89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 24, 2016
I manage a couple of artists in the underground electronic music scene, I would highly, HIGHLY suggest against it. Nobody is an overnight success and if you want to make it big in the EDM scene (especially the cheesy mainstream garbage) you need to have a great network, be likable, attractive, marketable, have solid productions (or deep pockets and a network with tight lips) AND be ahead of the curve with the direction the scene is going.

Mainstream EDM is now taking a nose dive as big room house loses it's momentum and things are moving back towards the underground. The next big things will be (real) progressive house, house, techno and tech house - but even then, you're up against hundreds of thousands of aspiring producers that are incredibly talented and already have cemented themselves in the industry.

Is it fast lane? It can be, but your chance of becoming an 8 figure entrepreneur are 100-1000x higher than you even making 6 figures as a DJ.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.