The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I wasted the last 5 months looking for a job again.

Anything related to matters of the mind

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 7, 2023
Read all three books finishing in April, I was psyched to start some kind of business. Then I went off track... Convinced myself I needed to change jobs to learn more skills to be able to progress further with coding etc to eventually have the business I wanted. Applied for a couple of jobs. Ended up getting through 3 interviews with one and messing up the coding challenge. Second one was with a guy who coaches entrepeneurs in France but working for him , got offered the job in the end after another 3 interviews and spending a whole day with him. The pay was only 35K euros no perks but the job was coming up with new products for him and then selling them. I said no. I really wanted to leave the town I live in currently and go in live in France but my body was just reacting physically against it and I said no. he was "dissapointed in me" and said he had no idea I wanted to be an entrepreneur despite the whole interview process being about conceptualising new products in a certain industry. Been super depressed last 7 days and feeling out of hope. I will stop that now and try and get back on track.

Anyway, somehow i think all of this had to happen to make me realise no one is going to save me. Getting another job is pointless. I need to get off my f***ing a$$ and create something for myself solving other peoples problems. I still seem a way away from creating anything but let's see what happens.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 5, 2023
Read all three books finishing in April, I was psyched to start some kind of business. Then I went off track... Convinced myself I needed to change jobs to learn more skills to be able to progress further with coding etc to eventually have the business I wanted. Applied for a couple of jobs. Ended up getting through 3 interviews with one and messing up the coding challenge. Second one was with a guy who coaches entrepeneurs in France but working for him , got offered the job in the end after another 3 interviews and spending a whole day with him. The pay was only 35K euros no perks but the job was coming up with new products for him and then selling them. I said no. I really wanted to leave the town I live in currently and go in live in France but my body was just reacting physically against it and I said no. he was "dissapointed in me" and said he had no idea I wanted to be an entrepreneur despite the whole interview process being about conceptualising new products in a certain industry. Been super depressed last 7 days and feeling out of hope. I will stop that now and try and get back on track.

Anyway, somehow i think all of this had to happen to make me realise no one is going to save me. Getting another job is pointless. I need to get off my f***ing a$$ and create something for myself solving other peoples problems. I still seem a way away from creating anything but let's see what happens.
You really gotta take MJs books to heart. Your idea will come when you least expect it but you need to try. When I was going throughout my day I would just look at things and think, needs needs needs. Id try some on for size just to get the juices flowing and trying out coming up with ideas. Then eventually I looked at something and saw a need and develoed a solution. Hit me out of nowhere.

Also, not for nothing, but trying to get a job to develop products for someone else for them? Cmon man, do this for yourself lol

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Depends on your cashflow. Job can fund your business idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 7, 2023
Or steal your time, choke your dreams, and suffocate your soul.

Like many things, *it depends*.
I already have a job which is kind of suffocating my soul. I'm keeping it for now before making any rash decisions on my next step. But to jump from one 35K job to another doesn't really make sense for now even if I would have learnt some new skills in the new one. I kind of feel like moving somewhere new and just risking it all as you did in pheonix but then I know you don't advocate for that either.

bgalindo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 16, 2023

Great post. Applying for jobs is such an enormous time suck, and the impact on mental health and optimism is almost always negative. The opportunity cost of the time you could be building your own income stream is high as well. I don't think "bake off" challenges are realistic judgments of talent. If they are looking for a certain approach, why not just tell the candidate and then see if they can apply the principle?! Making the selection process into a trivia game like "name that tune" seems pretentious to me, but I digress- I once was sure I was the perfect fit for a company and after many rounds of interviews, I lost it on a head-to-head coding challenge! It seemed contrived and not like the actual work environment would be.
You sound like you have lots of personal initiative as well as creative problem-solving skills. With those two qualities, you can always produce value.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I already have a job which is kind of suffocating my soul. I'm keeping it for now before making any rash decisions on my next step. But to jump from one 35K job to another doesn't really make sense for now even if I would have learnt some new skills in the new one. I kind of feel like moving somewhere new and just risking it all as you did in pheonix but then I know you don't advocate for that either.
The best jobs for aspiring entrepreneurs are ones that offer consistent cash flow but yet don't suck your souls from doing anything else.

You can just learn new skills by investing your time and effort into other side hustles/business ideas, instead of hopping your next job to teach you the skills you want.

It is a lot easier to learn along the way to fulfill the need to test your business ideas. Personally it gives me a lot of motivation to learn.

A job will teach you a lot about a specific industry. Having a span of 5 failed hustles in 2 years can teach you cross-industry skills and knowledge.

Last edited:

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 7, 2023

Just as a follow up to this post.... I also did a trial for freelance weather forecasting recently and "got the job". Soon after I was called into multiple meetings, with a ton of emails. The guy i'd be producing content for rescheduled meetings several times, asking a couple of times in the morning if i'd be free to hop on a call in the afternoon knowing I was working a mon-fri 9-5 job otherwise. The idea was that i'd leave my current job, transition into freelance to pay the rent , move abroad and continue with setting up a weather related website. Anyway, decided that the freelance wasn't for me either. I'm going to carry on in my current role and continue learning web development and producing a snow forecast website for snow sports enthusiasts, or a website integrating weather forecasts/data and psychological principals (like a mood app for weather). I should be able to have a product by Christmas time so let's see how it goes. Need to focus on producing idea and adding value to the market, not scrimping about for jobs just so i can move abroad and put the cart before the horse. Having been offered and rejected three jobs of different kinds over the last few months I can now confidently say I NEED to make this entrepreneurial venture work. Re-listening to the fastlane books is really good for me too, to hammer concepts in.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Just as a follow up to this post.... I also did a trial for freelance weather forecasting recently and "got the job". Soon after I was called into multiple meetings, with a ton of emails. The guy i'd be producing content for rescheduled meetings several times, asking a couple of times in the morning if i'd be free to hop on a call in the afternoon knowing I was working a mon-fri 9-5 job otherwise. The idea was that i'd leave my current job, transition into freelance to pay the rent , move abroad and continue with setting up a weather related website. Anyway, decided that the freelance wasn't for me either. I'm going to carry on in my current role and continue learning web development and producing a snow forecast website for snow sports enthusiasts, or a website integrating weather forecasts/data and psychological principals (like a mood app for weather). I should be able to have a product by Christmas time so let's see how it goes. Need to focus on producing idea and adding value to the market, not scrimping about for jobs just so i can move abroad and put the cart before the horse. Having been offered and rejected three jobs of different kinds over the last few months I can now confidently say I NEED to make this entrepreneurial venture work. Re-listening to the fastlane books is really good for me too, to hammer concepts in.
Hey there!! All the best mate!

Mowermisr

Banned for using AI
May 7, 2024
First off, big kudos to you for not giving up. Persistence is key, my friend. Your determination will pay off sooner than you think. Now, about that job search journey you've been on... Have you considered shaking things up a bit? Maybe it's time to explore different avenues. Ever thought about diving into the world of healthcare? It's booming, and there are loads of opportunities waiting to be snagged.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.