The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FYI - GoDaddy Down!

FrankD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 18, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Just an FYI for everyone since I'm guessing a lot of you have sites hosted with or through GoDaddy.com - looks like their system is getting hacked as we speak (supposedly by Anonymous...). basically their DNS is down so anyone whose site uses their DNS is screwed until they get it fixed.

I figured something was up when I was trying to get to a few sites that were not responding - then I figured something was up with my servers at the office... then did a little research of my own. It's all over twitter now and many news reports are starting to come out about it.

Hopefully not too many of you are affected but I figured I'd let everyone know since godaddy's site is down and their phone lines are completely busy as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Does them good for their crappy upsell practices. Never used them for this reason.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Does them good for their crappy upsell practices. Never used them for this reason.

Does millions of users/businesses right, let them lose money :smx4:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I only use Godaddy for Domain purchases, I simply ignore the other stuff (with the exception of SSL certificates). They are successful because they provide value. I have used other registrars, and I actually prefer Godaddy (easy to use).

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yes SHAME on them for upselling.

Those horrible people.

I have 100 domain names with them.

Yes, shame on the for having ~10 possible upseels before making it to the last step of a single domain registration. I'm saying this from a user perspective, not a business perspective.

Why do you use them? Because they have superbowl ads? For my international domain names I use namecheap.com exclusively. Great service, great prices, great interface, and no annoying in-your-face upsells.

FrankD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 18, 2012
Cleveland, OH

Can't say I understand that argument. Just don't buy the extra stuff, it's pretty easy to take it out of your cart. And with the coupon codes you can get the stuff dirt cheap.

If you want to hurt godaddy that's one thing, but to hurt the millions of people that rely on them for business, that's another story.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Goes to show you that taking a picture next to an elephant that you killed with a godaddy hat on will make you some enemies. Fast.

Shit, my employee access and new applicant site are hosted from godaddy.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Can't say I understand that argument. Just don't buy the extra stuff, it's pretty easy to take it out of your cart. And with the coupon codes you can get the stuff dirt cheap.

If you want to hurt godaddy that's one thing, but to hurt the millions of people that rely on them for business, that's another story.

I think I've paid right around $5 per domain with them... works for me, even if that means clicking skip a couple of times..

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Man, you guys are taking stuff a bit too serious.

I never said that its a good thing that godaddys customers are affected by this and I dont know how a reasonable person could interpret this into my statement.

But in my opinion, if you as a business owner rely on a internet business and therefore on your domains, you should take precautions against something like that.

1) always keep hosting, backup and domains on seperate providers. if something happens to any of them, you can quickly and easily make the switch.
2) Always use lesser known providers for important domains for exactly whats happing to godaddy now.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think I've paid right around $5 per domain with them... works for me, even if that means clicking skip a couple of times..

So paying $5 less a year compared with other providers is worth the risk for you to host one of you main assets with a provider that is very prominent in the media etc and therefore one of the first targets for hackers (for whatever reason)?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My GoDaddy sites are ALL up

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Yes, shame on the for having ~10 possible upseels before making it to the last step of a single domain registration. I'm saying this from a user perspective, not a business perspective.

Why do you use them? Because they have superbowl ads? For my international domain names I use namecheap.com exclusively. Great service, great prices, great interface, and no annoying in-your-face upsells.

They have a button you click on that says to straight to check out no need to go through all those windows.

Even if there was no such button I would not just cast them aside for the whole 60 seconds it takes to go through the 10 upsell windows.

Why do I personally use them. GREAT customer service.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just chiming in: My 9-5's site is down due to this.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Ive always heard bad things about godaddy...im surprised so many here use it.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Why do I personally use them. GREAT customer service.

Ditto. That's probably why I stuck around too. Always someone to walk you through whatever issue you have by phone. This could have happened to anyone. But my new store is with hostgator.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I honestly would not use anyone else. I have nothing but good things to say.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Ditto. That's probably why I stuck around too. Always someone to walk you through whatever issue you have by phone. This could have happened to anyone. But my new store is with hostgator.

They've been great too me as well. I bought something that didn't work for me and they gave me full refund no questions asked 3 weeks later when I called in.

I think negative rep is mostly ignorance.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well the only way today's little problem has effected me is my email is being laggy. I am getting emails like 20 mins late. Normally the IMAP server is flawless.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I use them for email. I wasn't able to get any email for several hours via OWS.

I was going to call but did not want others at my 9-5 hearing about my personal email issues. :)

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

Me too. Heard and felt.

Some of the most respected people on forum seem to use/like them. I respect that. I get it. Makes sense to cut expenses as much as possible, if their services do the work for you.

At this point I believe theag might be a tech guy or developer, as I am, because no developer will ever love you for:

1. Using the shared host in the first place

2. And while at it using the one who makes things overly complicated and non standard just for the sake of their branding and upselling.

Off topic - to everyone using any shared host - do you make your own backups, or rely on host?

Because shared hosts sometimes have a fineprint in their TOS saying that after your site reaches certain size, they'll only backup the database. Worth checking out if you have valuable files.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just got an email from Godaddy. My site was never down just really slow and they gave me a whole month of hosting free. That is customer service excellence.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I got the same letter and a FAT amount of credits from them (for the zero down time we experienced.) Classy, and yet another reason why I LOVE GoDaddy. I have never had an issue with their services that they haven't fixed to my benefit. I think they are one of the best kept secrets for the little guy.

They sent me several credits today --- without me asking for them. That's the way they roll.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I got the same email, but already switched to HostGator and I'm far more impressed with them so far. They make things so incredibly simple and everything seems to run way faster IMO. I paid for 3 years of hosting 4 days ago.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.