The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Youtube downloader idea

Idea threads

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 28, 2008
Orchard Park, New York
I know there are alot of different tools (desktop and site based) available that allows you to download files the videos and/or convert them to mp3 for youtube. What I was thinking would be a along the same idea but more features for a site.

First, it would allow you to copy/paste a single url but what will be new is it will also allow you to login to your google account. Once logged in, retrieve your playlists and/or subscriptions and download them. I was thinking also to go one step further and add support for dropbox and various online storage sites.

So what do you guys think of this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Hmm if I were you I would really check out the youtube terms, if this sort of "access" is allowed.
Besides that I'm not sure about the copyright of the videos/files. Maybe you will get in trouble by providing such a service.

I know there are a lot of youtube download pages / apps, but I would definately check that out, before investigating more time and effort into that idea.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
The idea is interesting. However, you are at the mercy of Youtube and they can change up things and your app/service won't work. If you do decide to do this, make sure you do your due diligence to see if it is legal.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
There are other free web based apps that allow access to your youtube likes/playlists/favorites and they're not getting in legal trouble (that I know of).
I say go ahead with this. I often have to rip youtube videos and the whole process is a pain in the but for me.

however if I could upload a list of URLs to one site and download them all at once it'd be a great tool for me.
If you made a tool like this I'd promote/review it to my video marketing followers at CastleforgeMedia.com

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WhiteEagle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Feb 10, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Interesting. But when you log into YouTube now, you automatically log into Google+ too (unless you opt out manually and delete your Google+ profile, which I hated and did). There's an app called "MyTube" allows you to login to Youtube (like the app itself) and there's a button to automatically save HD videos to your iPhone/iPad, without using any other third-party software.

How is your idea different than what YouTube/Google are already doing? And what would downloading a "subscription" do for you anyway, when you can only use it on YouTube's site. Perhaps I'm just not understanding the concept or your concept isn't clearly communicated. Then there's the legality of it, as stated above.

What is the need for this? How will it benefit ME? How much is this going to COST ME? Most importantly, will I be willing to pay you for it when I can get other similar services for free?

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 28, 2008
Orchard Park, New York
How will this be different?

I invision users being able to use the site to copy/paste the youtube url without an account on my site like keepvid.com. Where this site will be different is that if you wanted more ease of use, the user would login to their facebook account (debating if facebook login would be the only opition). Once logged in (authorized fb connection), they would be able to link their google account (site would request read permissions from the youtube side). Once granted, they would be able to view their saved playlists/channels and other things they have subscribed to. They decide what videos they want and to what format to download. Then if they had a DropBox account or similar online storage account (that I could access via APIs), allow the users to download to them (so they could access the files on any device they have associated with the storage). Possibly make a firefox/chrome plugin.

Maybe set it so once they are logged in, they can use it for up to 25 videos a month or pay $9.95 (one-time) for unlimited access.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.