The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your Own Personal Blog at Fastlane?

Would You Blog Here At Fastlane?

• Yes, definately.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Yes, when I have time.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • No, I have no interest.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • No, I have my own blog.

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you had "blog" capabilities here at Fastlane, would you use it?

This means, you'd be able to self-contain a separate area for your own postings ... great for goals, rantings, journaling, political oriented commentary, etc.

The blog would be linked in your sidebar postbit, below your post count.

vBulletin has a blog app that I can buy which would allow users to Blog there own thoughts, goals, rants, etc.

That said, If I bought this app, installed it, would you use it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

patientPrince$$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Nov 13, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

This means, you'd be able to self-contain a separate area for your own postings ... great for goals, rantings, etc.

vBulletin has a blog app that I can buy which would allow users to Blog there own thoughts, goals, rants, etc.

definetly !!!!!! more ranting than anything...seeing that i can never hold one thought for too long....something like an entrepneurial journal....tracking my business venture progress....that would be cool..

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
.something like an entrepneurial journal....tracking my business venture progress....that would be cool..

Yup, you get the idea! The blog would be perfect for journaling.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Captain's log, stardate...

Sorry I'm not a Trekkie, I swear, but that's what this reminded me of.

My vote is yes, I used to do a xanga and livejournal long before "blogging" became the new buzzword, but came to realize that I was sharing much more than I wanted to with people I didn't want to share with so I took it down, not that I'm a very private person, I just got a little too personal on there, but this sounds like a great way for us to help each other critique and push each other towards our goals!

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I really like this idea. I am not sure I would write in it as often as I would like to (hence my maybe vote) but I think I would enjoy reading them. It does seem to be an appropriate place to collect journal entries and stay motivated. I believe it could be a good addition to the forum.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
I really like this idea. I am not sure I would write in it as often as I would like to (hence my maybe vote) but I think I would enjoy reading them. It does seem to be an appropriate place to collect journal entries and stay motivated. I believe it could be a good addition to the forum.

Off topic, but I was in Almagordo a couple of weeks ago! Just driving through on my way out to Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. It's a nice area out there.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I would use it. I think it would be interesting because I think we all have a familiarity with each other about what kind of business each other is in (REI, start-up, etc) but it would be ever more interesting to read updates on what we're all doing. I vote yes.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I'm for the idea. Hopefully the program allows the blogs to be grouped. I found I'm not much of a blogger since I don't update enough, but I sure enjoy following others progress.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I would like to use it, but not in substitute of making my own personal brand on the 'net, so I chose maybe.

Regardless if I do it or not for my own reasons, I think it is definitely worth the test. I've seen another forum do it and bloggers like to post there because they rank really well with Google (or so that the impression I got). Could it be a win/win benefit in terms of SEO? If so, I say go for it.

JLaw

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 3, 2008
Bay Area | Hong Kong
I agreed with some of the things mentioned previously. I think it can be a great idea to follow updates from different fastlane members through his or her blog. Personally, I think blogs may be easier to follow than posts and threads. While still keeping the messageboard functionality, comments, and viewpoints in the community.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I like the idea. I enjoy keeping up with everyone and how they are working toward goals. I don't know how much I could contribute to my own personal blog because honestly....it would be kind of boring for me to blog about what I am doing currently.

Charmed Angel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 27, 2007
Tucson & Pittsburgh

This means, you'd be able to self-contain a separate area for your own postings ... great for goals, rantings, journaling, political oriented commentary, etc.

First I'll say that I'm not a blogger, yet. I recently just signed up for a blog with wordpress about a week ago.

IMO I think most people that could use this already have a blog somewhere else. And those that don't have one could easily sign up and get a blog somewhere else. The members do have the ability to share the link to their blog in their sig.

I'm concerned that the blogs might take away from the forums thread posts. Those with blogs on this site would post in their blog instead of making a post on the forum, which I think would limit the number of members that would see the post and contribute.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

I'm concerned that the blogs might take away from the forums thread posts. Those with blogs on this site would post in their blog instead of making a post on the forum, which I think would limit the number of members that would see the post and contribute.

I agree 100%. I doubt it would do anything to benifit the forum. it may be a convience to some but overall I think its not a good idea.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I agree 100%. I doubt it would do anything to benifit the forum. it may be a convience to some but overall I think its not a good idea.

I think this is a valid point.

So why not make it simple for everyone involved. Create a subforum and anyone wanting to have a blog simply makes their own thread.

It would be just like the success stories subforum only these would be success stories in the making.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
As someone reducing the number of blogs,
I vote no.

I also see this driving traffic away from the forum.
Folks will start linking to posts
rather than having conversations.

Plus it is all about control.
If I blog here,
it is the same as guest blogging.
You can pull the plug at any time,
monitor the content,
redirect traffic,
etc
(not that you would but you COULD)

I've been burned too many times.
I'll never again be a regular guest blogger.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I'd repost content from my main blog here, so that fastlane users have ready access to it. i have a blog of my own already.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I think this is a valid point.

So why not make it simple for everyone involved. Create a subforum and anyone wanting to have a blog simply makes their own thread.

It would be just like the success stories subforum only these would be success stories in the making.

that's pretty smart. blog apps are a dime a dozen anymore. and vb blog app, while nice is not as robust as anyone serious about blogging would want.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the purpose of the blog would be those "in between" ... I mean, those without blogs, but are working some type of plan.

When I owned my business, "my blog" was the RichDad forum. I would contribute when I could, but had no desire to start my own blog -- I would have viewed it as a distraction.

If RD forum had an area for my personal rantings, I would have used it because it was convenient, relevant, and didn't distract from what I was doing. (Starting my own blog would have distracted.)

Anyhow, thanks for all this feedback and please continue to give your opinion if ya have one!

Thx!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
When I owned my business, "my blog" was the RichDad forum. I would contribute when I could, but had no desire to start my own blog -- I would have viewed it as a distraction.

If RD forum had an area for my personal rantings, I would have used it because it was convenient, relevant, and didn't distract from what I was doing. (Starting my own blog would have distracted.)

Thx!

I think this part of your post says what Im trying to say. It may not have distracted what you were doing in your business but it may have distracted you from your posts. things inevidably would have ended up just on the blog as opposed to in a thread.

there was a board I used to belong to awhile back where users were able to make blogs. It was more just like what someone else here suggested it was a section dedicated to "blogs" each user/blogger had a section and were the only thread starters. it was just an online diary of sorts. it was set up like a normal thread where others could post responses.

another thing I would be concerned about would be if the "people" utilized their blogs to promote things. it may be looked at as if the website is promoting/approving of whatever it may be. If it were a section of the website where there were just posts then I think it would deter people from self promotion.

You could put up a disclaimer I suppose but not everyone reads those and I doubt it would stop people from being upset should something happen.

just my 2 cents.

Charmed Angel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 27, 2007
Tucson & Pittsburgh
I think the purpose of the blog would be those "in between" ... I mean, those without blogs, but are working some type of plan.

Anyhow, thanks for all this feedback and please continue to give your opinion if ya have one!

Thx!

I'm just concerned that it would take away from the threads. There would be discussions going on on blogs and not being posted on threads.

If the blogs posted the owners Threads that they start, and there was a way to ensure that meaningful discussions would not be missed, I don't have a problem with them. I like being able to come online and go to "New Posts" and see everything that has been posted since the last time I was here. Maybe some sort of system where if a blog post begins to become a discussion that is informative, that it could be transferred into a thread.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This thread is a bit old but I'd thought I'd update it to say that the *new* Fastlane Forum will have the ability for users to have their own blog -- your personal blog will be available to regular users ... it will probably serve as a good supplement to your progress threads or more personal thoughts/ideas that might not be relevant on the main forum ... I might also have allow political commentary since it will *your* blog.

YelmisPravida

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 23, 2012
I would definitely use it, but I'd like to be able to do the following as well if it is to be useful for me (and more informative for readers of the blog):

I would like to be able to start "blog threads". So not just one blog per person, but the ability to start multiple blog threads.

Reason: To be able to keep different businesses separated. If I do a business and it fails in a couple of months, for example, I'd like the ability to "close" that blog and start a new one, with another business idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.