The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young family-man and Programmer looking to make great connections

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
I came to this forum looking to network with other people with the same interest and goals, and to learn from those who have achieved theirs. I currently live in San Diego, and would love to be able to meet people within the area as well.

I am 26, married, and am adjusting to a new baby boy. I am a Computer Engineer by education and profession. Having worked in the corporate world for a few years, it finally dawned on me this wasn't going to get me to where I wanted to be, nor provide the life I wanted for myself and my family. That is my main motivation: to have enough financial freedom to do whatever really interests me, and to give my family the same opportunity.

I have always enjoyed technology, and therefore gravitated towards programming and software. My skills involve both web (HTML, PHP, Javascript) and desktop (VC#, VC++, etc) applications programming. I've worked with many programming languages and can usually pick a new one up quite quickly.

I've tried my hand at a few online projects (affiliate marketing, blogging) and had a number of product ideas, but nothing has been too succesful. I feel my weakness comes after the excitement of starting a new project has died down; I can't seem to keep motivated enough to just push through until the end. I'm thinking a mastermind group, or partners that can hold me accountable, can help me in this aspect. Though I don't have as much time for these projects as I'd like, I try to find a good balance between my day job, family, and business ideas so that not one suffers.

Some of my other interests include sports (basketball and MMA), video games (sparingly), spending time with my family, and tv/movies.

I look forward to making some friends and hopefully some partners as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Welcome to the forums.

I'm in the process of learning PHP right now. Knowing PHP, HTML, CSS, SQL etc are really good skills to have!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome ... sounds like you are struggling with process. We all have this challenge so you are not alone ... the important thing is to recognize it and break thru by keep going (when most others just stop.)

We are really getting a lot of people from the SD area!

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
good luck! balancing family with job and business is very tough. You will have to make some sacrifices because you won't be excellent at all three. But that is one of the barriers of entry into entrepreneurship, some people can't make the proper sacrifice and end up dropping out of the race.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

We are getting alot of people from everywhere. This site has grown quite a bit since you release your book. When you first started this site it was ranked around 40,000 or so and now it's at 28,391.

I think your book has brought in a bunch of people.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
good luck! balancing family with job and business is very tough. You will have to make some sacrifices because you won't be excellent at all three. But that is one of the barriers of entry into entrepreneurship, some people can't make the proper sacrifice and end up dropping out of the race.

The thing is, I believe there can be a balance within the three; actually the goal being a balance between the two, family and my own business. So in a sense, your statement would be true, the sacrifice would be the day job.

My point being is that with proper time management, meaning the time spent on each is actually quality time, it is possible to juggle all three. But who knows, I'm still in the process. Obviously it would take someone without any other responsibilities less time to get something up and running. Hopefully I'm not completely wrong in my thinking lol.

MrEks

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 21, 2011
Hey mrhahn, sounds like we've been on the same boat and haven't met yet. How long did you push your online projects until you considered not too successful?

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Not long enough. It could have been a combination of information overload for new projects, not enough motivation for the current one, or some other stupid excuse. Gradually I've been getting better at becoming focused on the task at hand, but am still in need of improvement.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Welcome ... sounds like you are struggling with process. We all have this challenge so you are not alone ... the important thing is to recognize it and break thru by keep going (when most others just stop.)

Yea, I've noticed that too, since I live in SD as well. I think people here tend to be more entrepreneurial because life is so great in this city that we all want to retire quickly so that we can enjoy the great weather and beaches; not be stuck in an office till we're 65.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Yea, I've noticed that too, since I live in SD as well. I think people here tend to be more entrepreneurial because life is so great in this city that we all want to retire quickly so that we can enjoy the great weather and beaches; not be stuck in an office till we're 65.

Haha definitely. A lot of motivation to work towards a house on the beach!

Awesome, you're in the area. Expect a PM soon :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...