The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Why struggling to bring my IT skills: into focus is wrecking my momentum"

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hi all
This is my first thread here, as much of my presence has been spent silently searching the forum archives for information. Perhaps a little backround check is waranted here. As a cabinetmaker my fastland plan is to design, manufacture and market a hardwood high end personal achievement product. It would be marketed on a b2b platform. Quality control safeguards coupled with lack of finance will leave me with doing most of the initial production part of the business. That I can handle since I have the machine shop and facilities to execute and nail it. We know the fastlane requires us to gear up and educate ourselves in all things associated with the process namely IT, Finance, Copy writing, marketing etc. Each componant I feel is an important element to the survival of the plan . I love the whole concept of being in control of my castle.However as I have a limited skillbase in IT (to the extreme) right now I feel I cannot control what I think is fundamentaly the most important part of my business. ie.generating sales, monitoring marketing / advertising and tweeking accordingly, I have been working on some open source web development courses and some coding, all very exciting it has too be said but very slow moving. I cannot go into production and then try to figure out all this stuff while my product collects dust in the workshop lol Anyway Key questions 1/ Where do you think I should I concentrate within IT to best serve my particular requirements in business? ..... 2/ What do you recommend as best practise in regard to learning those IT skills mentioned above ie names of books, courses etc. Thank you for reading my long winded and disjointed appeal. All advice much appreciated .
Regards Timmy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for the input zen******* and theag. I will follow up on your advice right away. Thank you for your time in this. Regards Timmy

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I'd say it is good to know the basics of coding, but after that, leave that up to odesk to someone that does it all the time. Just properly vet the coders beforehand. I think its probably more important if you have no background in coding to read everything you can on how successful business people vet their outsourced coders and how they go through the hiring process.

If you are going to build something you want to build your life around, why half a$$ choosing the proper team from the beginning. It's a real pain for good coders to go back and re-write all code. They will probably just tell you they want to start from scratch again which means more money out of your pocket.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Thanks yankee for the input. Just hard when IT is just something I got into in recent times. Younger folks can adapt so easily and readily to a changing landscape. I will continue on my quest to familiarise and educate myself in this regard .It's just that the entrepreneur gene is sometimes very impatient.lol

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
Timmy, not a problem. My slowlane job for a year and a half used to be working 8 hours a day writing up instuctions for offshore developers to update our software for the company I was at. Then coming in the next morning and trying to write them instructions to fix their screwups or talking to the Philippines until 4 in the morning from here in the USA.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like and I can give you some pointers of what to expect when working with offshore developers.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Timmy, not a problem. My slowlane job for a year and a half used to be working 8 hours a day writing up instuctions for offshore developers to update our software for the company I was at. Then coming in the next morning and trying to write them instructions to fix their screwups or talking to the Philippines until 4 in the morning from here in the USA.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like and I can give you some pointers of what to expect when working with offshore developers.
Hey Man thanks a million I will do that once I get my thoughts together.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.