The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where is the best place to learn coding online and what are the opportunities?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

MartinG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 22, 2015
I am curious about learning principles of coding and am seeking feedback from those who have learned coding online and have secured employment or are working on their own projects with this skill (whether that be freelancing or creating an app for example).

I am completely new to the concepts so any newbie advice or redirection to a specific thread is greatly appreciated :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
There are a gazillion sources these days. It also depends on your budget and what you want to learn. If you want to learn front-end/back-end/data engineering, I think Meta's courses on Coursera are worth checking out.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
It's worth making sure that the course / instructions you follow are up to date with current practice. I'm active on a couple of forum sites for one particular programming language and hardly a week goes by without someone coming along asking for advice with new code they've written using old insecure functions and when advised, replying with "well, I'm following this course, or this Youtube video" only to find it was last updated in 2008.

PhilJB

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 19, 2022
UK
I am curious about learning principles of coding and am seeking feedback from those who have learned coding online and have secured employment or are working on their own projects with this skill (whether that be freelancing or creating an app for example).

I am completely new to the concepts so any newbie advice or redirection to a specific thread is greatly appreciated :)
I was in a similar position bro. I went from a career change from Pharmaceuticals industry to now working in Tech as a Software Engineer. I understand where you are at the moment. My little bit of advice is start small and just dip your feet into the field with simple coding apps you can download for free on your phone or online, see if you have a feel for coding and take it from there. There is so much free material out there that I would not advise paying for anything at this early stage. Immerse yourself in tech, code, build, have fun with it and the path will open up. Good luck and reach out if you need anymore advice

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I tried Codecademy but I always ended up stuck and unable to progress past a certain level. I've heard good things about Pluralsight and ZeroToMastery, but I have no personal experience with them.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
Codecademy is a great place to start if you don't have prior experience and/or don't have a clear picture of what you're trying to do.

After you learn the fundamentals and have a clear path ahead of you, there are very high quality learning resources available online, that are more specific to the topic that you want to study. Some of them are paid, others are free.

Where you learn something matters, but how you learn it is even more important. Discipline, consistency, hard work and tenacity are paramount.

Most people that try to get into tech (or business/or everything else) give up and fail. Don't be one of them.

MartinG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 22, 2015
Codecademy is a great place to start if you don't have prior experience and/or don't have a clear picture of what you're trying to do.

After you learn the fundamentals and have a clear path ahead of you, there are very high quality learning resources available online, that are more specific to the topic that you want to study. Some of them are paid, others are free.

Where you learn something matters, but how you learn it is even more important. Discipline, consistency, hard work and tenacity are paramount.

Most people that try to get into tech (or business/or everything else) give up and fail. Don't be one of them.
Thanks for all your responses.

I will test the waters for sure.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
Thanks for all your responses.

I will test the waters for sure.
I've read your question more carefully and I've seen that you're not necessarily looking to switch careers, but just want to casually learn a new skill.

In this case you won't need a lot of hard work and discipline (as I've said in the previous post), but you certainly need to have some consistency in your practice and some patience. It's also important to keep things fun to help you stay motivated.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I'd look into The Odin Project. It's free and teaches you full stack development. Freecodecamp is another great option. Good luck.

football4life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Oct 16, 2022

FREECODECAMP.ORG .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.