The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When you should learn to program - Anecdotal experience

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

NECST

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix
This question comes up a lot: Should I learn to program? Also has been answered a lot. Here's my anecdotal experience in my early stage company to help you make your own decision:

First thing:
Learning to program and being a programmer are pretty different. Learning to program is not hard. Being a programmer and writing professional, production ready code is hard.

Second thing:
If the core of your business is software, then you or someone with equity needs to know how to program (not necessarily be a programmer). Emergencies happen, and when someone knows how to manipulate code on a basic level, lots of emergencies can be taken care of quickly and temporarily from the time they happen till the time your professional programmer can implement a permanent fix.

Third thing:
If you have basic code functionality working in MVP form, even if its embarrassingly shitty, then a professional programmer will be able to work faster. Imaging telling your general contractor how to build your house with a word doc or something. The answer is no. They need drawings/blueprints. And your shitty code can be a drawing. This translates into the programmer being respectful to you, you being respectful to the programmer, better communication, and lower costs (b/c faster work).

The core of my business is software, so I learned how to program. The innovation is in the software. I programmed my MVP from scratch, and it has basically allowed me to bootstrap more easily. My "outsourced" professional programmer knew exactly what to do, and gave me a good deal because of that. In going through the real pain of learning to program, then programming a functioning MVP, I figured out exactly what I wanted and better defined my problem and solution. Also, when the shit hits the fan and this guy isn't available, I can do what i need to do to put the fire out until he can fix it for real.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NECST

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix
This is not a progress thread...posted in the wrong place. My mistake. How can I change this?

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
This question comes up a lot: Should I learn to program? Also has been answered a lot.

Why wasn't this a reply to one of those threads you seem to also have realized there are too many of?

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.