The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's up y'all

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy and uncertain times.

My name is Mark and I've lurked the Fastlane forums for the last two months but am only just now getting to my introduction. I graduated in Accounting in 2016 and worked as a public auditor for 2.5 years, got promoted to Senior, and dipped off to industry accounting. I had always planned to be an entrepreneur dating back to my high school days and thought working within the industry would allow me sufficient time to "become" an entrepreneur thinking that one day a one-in-a-million idea would magically come to me. I don't mean to spoil the story but that day never came. Working in the industry required just as many hours as working as a public auditor but with a lot more oversight, stress, and micromanaging. My plan then shifted to a year-long exit strategy to set myself up with enough capital to quit my job and focus on entrepreneurship full time.

The day I planned to leave my job was March 31, 2020. Funny how life works but as we all know now, the world changed forever in March 2020. Well s**t, now I have some decisions to make. Do I quit my job to pursue entrepreneurship amid a pandemic or do I continue with this job I absolutely loathe and play it by ear? Fortunately, and unfortunately, this decision was taken out of my hands. Ended up leaving my job at the end of April 2020 due to COVID reasons.

I knew my mental health was suffering at this point but I don't think I realized just how badly. I spent pretty much April through September of this year battling off depression and hopelessness. Somewhere along the way, I lost myself. I lost my drive and motivation. I remember grinding through college listening to my favorite rappers feeling like the world was mine. Now I didn't even recognize myself.

And this is where I'm going to sound like an M.J. burner account, but I randomly stumbled across Fastlane Millionaire on the internet in October. I think I had googled "best books for entrepreneurship" or something along those lines. I absolutely love hiking so I downloaded the ebook and would take breaks during my hike to read it. After reading FM, my entire perspective changed. I had regained motivation and hope because he showed that success in entrepreneurship doesn't have to be dependent on having a one-in-a-million idea or being Elon Musk. It can be mathematically broken down to probabilities and requires mostly consistency, fearlessness, and process. So what if you only have a 7% of succeeding that just means you need to try 15 ideas to find one success (you get the point).

Looking through both the forums and M.J.'s books, I always read people say the easiest way to get started is to just help someone for free. Luckily, my uncle has owned a successful plumbing business for the last 40 years so I reached out to him to learn the trade. And that's what I've been doing for the last two months. In addition to that, my cousin and I plan to help build a subsection of his business focusing on residential service plumbing as my uncle currently focuses on bigger commercial contracts but that hasn't gained much traction yet.

As of today, I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going. If the plumbing service works out it would only be temporary as neither my cousin nor I own a plumbing license, so as soon as my uncle calls it quits that'll be it. But I'm hoping it'll help build some explosive revenue to fund my other projects (that I've yet to think of yet lol). My focus now is figuring out where I'm going next.

I love reading all of your comments and appreciate the motivation and help you willingly provide to each other for no reason other than to be helpful.

Much love,
Boogie

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hello Boogie

How long does it take to get this plumbers license and couldn't you or your cousin get it?

If your uncle has been running this business for 40 years successfully, he has a good infrastructure in place with regards to Sales, Operations and Finance for you and/or your cousin to take over the reins and develop further.

Dan

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Hello Boogie

How long does it take to get this plumbers license and couldn't you or your cousin get it?

If your uncle has been running this business for 40 years successfully, he has a good infrastructure in place with regards to Sales, Operations and Finance for you and/or your cousin to take over the reins and develop further.

Dan
Nice to meet you, Dan.

That was actually the initial thought process getting into this but the work experience requirement of 4+ years is still about 3.9 years out lol. But it's definitely still in the equation because like you said, the "hard part" of starting a business is done if you just take over a successful business. It has also been hard to learn the trade due to low hours as my uncle is fully staffed for the most part.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Hey!

I'm sure you don't want to work as a plumber for 40+ years... So what do you want to do in this biz?
How would you bring value to other people. A great way in my opinion is to find people that need plumber work and hire plumbers to do it.

Tell a little bit more about how you imagined yourself 5 years from now. What would you be doing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...