The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Bookkeeping Software Do You Use?

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Just wondering what other business owners are using for bookkeeping software. Currently using Godaddybookkeeping (Formerly Outright.com) for my e-commerce business.

Obviously there are other bookkeeping software out there like Quickbooks, Freshbooks ect. Planning to move to quickbooks soon.

So what are you guys using?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
I hear people mentioning quickbooks a lot..

I'm not a fan, but also interested in knowing what else is out there.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
I have several lines of business and use several products.

1. Quickbooks is sort of the standard, just like Photoshop. Tax people, banks, and many other institutions are familiar with it, sync with it, and can easy interact with you and provide guidance. However, it is complicated. It generally takes someone with bookkeeping background to really use it properly. Quickbooks Online is awesome, and I'd highly recommend it, especially if you have employees. You can use it anywhere you have a browser, it's modern and smooth. The biggest drawback is it can only manage one "company." You may have multiple companies, depending on how your bank or accountants have things, or how the business is structured. If this is the case, cost adds up fast for Quickbooks Online. Standard Quickbooks (desktop) can manage multiple companies, but it has a dated interface, and what's bad for me--you cannot access the same files from multiple computers with multiple users easily.

2. Quicken is lighter weight for small business and personal. It is also desktop based and pretty dated feeling. I save my files to an online storage site, so I can sort of access my info wherever I am. But I am not a big fan of Quicken and would like to be off of it to something better. Most places know how to interact with you via Quicken though. Output files make taxes easy too.

3. A lot of people that might use #2 are switching to Mint, which is basically an online, modern version of Quicken that is free. It's not quite yet optimized for business though, so you'll have to read through some articles to see what other people are doing as a workaround. I'm working on migrating off of Quicken to this. Best I can tell is I will have one Mint login for personal and one for business.

Apart from that, I'd love to hear what other people are doing, since I'm wanting to get off of #2.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
GnuCash. Use it for my personal finances and some small business stuff.However, I like free opensource software and have a bias for them so I look to utilize them whenever possible. But if you are going to get into serious business and want a CPA to handle your taxes, quickbooks is the gold standard imo.

Mint, I used it for a bit, didn't like having an app that's directly connected to all my financial info on my phone. But it does do some pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't call it accounting software. More like just tracking. I would use it to reconcile all my expenses in GnuCash and make sure everything lined up.

wmvbob

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 4, 2014
USA
Quickbooks here. Spent a lot of time learning to use it. A good companion to it is
Small Business Accounting Simplified (Small Business Made Simple) by Daniel Sitarz .
I think learning the basics of accounting and understanding financials is essential for an entrepreneur, even if you let someone else keep your books. What good is oversight if you don't understand what your looking at?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Quickbooks. Any CPA will be able to use it and get it done faster. Having someone do it isn't all that expensive and worth it time-wise imo.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I work as a tax accountant, right now QB is a good bet if you have many transactions per month also usually payroll. If it is minimal starting off..use Wave (I believe it is free for non payroll users) it is nicer looking, easier to use & does the job

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.