The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web development experiences

Adeel Kothiwala

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 8, 2015
Hey guys!

I'm about to set off in about 2 weeks to visit my dads friend (who's a web developer) to discuss my website idea and get it made. Do you guys have any pointers on what to look out for and if i'll need to keep him around to keep the website up to date?

I know the basics of web development, HTML/CSS/JavaScript. I guess i'm a little nervous and excited at the same time. This is my first time ever going on a trip to discuss something relating business. Do you have have any negative experiences with web developers that I should look out for?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Adeel Kothiwala

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 8, 2015
Does he do website development for a living? or just knows how to do it?

Knowing nothing about your project, pretty hard to give pointers beyond that.

I have a plan of how I want my website to look, and what features for it to have. I Also have the layout and how the navigation should look, the colours, etc. And yes he does web development for a living.

Maurice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 12, 2015
It's up to you if you keep him around to keep your site up to date, after all, you're the payer. You will always need refreshing changes, new features, security tweaks (security is one of the most important things you should keep in mind).

Make sure he is a serious web developer, if he does it as a hobby there is a chance he will drop the project, or drop the support after finishing it. It's always a good idea to keep him around incase there is any bug or problem. If you suspect anything like that would happen, don't lose your time.

Adeel Kothiwala

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 8, 2015
Does he do website development for a living? or just knows how to do it?

Knowing nothing about your project, pretty hard to give pointers beyond that.

The website will have topics with picture backgrounds, and users will be able to post their profiles, create their own accounts, users would be able to like and rate stuff, following ability, my goal is to make it really user friendly.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
The website will have topics topics with picture backgrounds, and users will be able to post their profiles, create their own accounts, users would be able to like and rate stuff, following ability, my goal is to make it really user friendly.
Pretty sure you can do all that yourself with Wordpress and a few pluggins... But I'm definitely no developer/coder. But if you are looking to test the idea before going full bore with a developer, would be worth looking into.

Adeel Kothiwala

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 8, 2015
Pretty sure you can do all that yourself with Wordpress and a few pluggins... But I'm definitely no developer/coder. But if you are looking to test the idea before going full bore with a developer, would be worth looking into.
I've checked wordpress already, but it doesn't have some things that I would like to implement

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
he does web development for a living.

That is good.

Now your specifications are the most important thing, I like to use Powerpoint, each slide is a page of the website, one half of the slide is a simple shape layout of the page, and the other half is describing what every button/link does, where the text is coming from (database, static), this way you end up with a slide for every page and you can check as you go through the slides that you have all your connections accounted for, where the data is coming from and what has to happen with the data. Don't forget to markup pages that a user has to login to see, I use a different color for these pages. At the end of the project, you can easily tell if he got all your parts in place and data is coming from where you said.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
checked wordpress already, but it doesn't have some things that I would like to implement

That is almost inconceivable.... That being said, it is still a really good framework to start with and not difficult to add features to, and you are not starting from scratch.

Adeel Kothiwala

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Dec 8, 2015
That is good.

Now your specifications are the most important thing, I like to use Powerpoint, each slide is a page of the website, one half of the slide is a simple shape layout of the page, and the other half is describing what every button/link does, where the text is coming from (database, static), this way you end up with a slide for every page and you can check as you go through the slides that you have all your connections accounted for, where the data is coming from and what has to happen with the data. Don't forget to markup pages that a user has to login to see, I use a different color for these pages. At the end of the project, you can easily tell if he got all your parts in place and data is coming from where you said.
Thank you this was really helpful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.