The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two Kinds Of People...

Anything related to matters of the mind

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
We all come to this forum because we believe in ourselves.

We believe that we possess something at our core that sets us apart - something that makes us above average.

Lately I have been reflecting on the what it is that actually makes me happy. Not happy in the fantasy world of reaching some permanent state of bliss that doesn't actually exist, but truly satisfied with the present and optimistic about the future of it. I've never experienced the life that I want, that much I know. So how then do I know it is what I want?

Life, I have realized, boils down to being one of two things - a Producer, or a Consumer.

Now I fully understand that I didn't invent this concept; heck, I'm probably the 10,000th guy to say that on the forum. But what I have been coming to realize is that this idea isn't just some fastlane entrepreneurial boilerplate - it is a purpose for existence.

I think we all tell ourselves by nature of desiring to want to build a business we are a producer.

Stop for a moment. Think about the different areas of your life.

Think about your relationships.

Think about your health.

Think about your religion.

Do you produce here? Or are you simply consuming?

I have come to the realization that the line between production and consumption is so fine and intricately intertwined in every way we live that it becomes imperative that we examine them.

What brought this to the surface for me was a realization.

At my core, in the deepest part of who I am - I am a producer. Maybe we all are.

I was reflecting on why I fail. Why do I lose motivation. Why am I not living my life's purpose.

It suddenly became perfectly clear - I have been living my life trying to satisfy a need to produce - by consuming.

The reason I never comprehended this state of delusion is that I have always mistakenly attached consumption to material things.

The truth is, production and consumption apply to all things - and aren't really attached to material things any more than we ourselves attache them.

I used to consume relationships, consume communication. I fed on it.

I consumed information, while producing very little for others. I felt like learning was doing.

I consumed religion - instead of relating to my creator and producing a better self.

I was a consumer of emotions, of control, of LIFE.

And never understood why I never felt satisfaction.

Now, I understand.

There is no happiness, no satisfaction in consumption.

Every facet of this life is an opportunity to produce, and we mistakenly interpret these as opportunities to consume.

We consume healthcare in an attempt to outsource the production of our health. We need to use doctors as a tool to produce our own health.

We consume counseling as a way of trying to consume our way into a better marriage. We need to use it as a tool to find our problems and produce a solution.

We consume 20 minutes of time on a treadmill so we can eat junk and tell ourselves we are trying.

I'm done consuming. I never want to look at anything and think it is an answer.

I will produce. I will produce the life I was put here to have.

Find the opportunity to produce in every choice you make.

Use communication to produce a friendship. Use a book to produce a better process in your life.

Use your time to produce a better world.

There is nothing in existence that you can "get" to pull your purpose from you and give it to the world.

It is up to us to create our answer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
whoa deep stuff dude, the examples are spot on making me think as well

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks guys

This all just struck me - and when I sat down to write it out it felt like 1000 gallons coming out of a garden hose

I hope this can affect people the same way it has affected me

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
When you come to the realization you just came to it's REALLY easy to look down upon others.
I did that for a long while.

Remember this always:
For you.
and for many of us too.

But there are people who are TRUELY happy, satisfied, and fulfilled doing nothing but consuming.
Not depressed underneath the mask, but deeply and truly happy doing nothing but consuming.

Remember to not look down on others for being different or lesser.
Sometimes, it's just who they are.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I hope this can affect people the same way it has affected me

It gave me a boost.
I mean I get it already, but I liked the way you put it (very eloquent)

It suddenly became perfectly clear - I have been living my life trying to satisfy a need to produce - by consuming

Brilliant

The reason I never comprehended this state of delusion is that I have always mistakenly attached consumption to material things.

Thats how it works, you see the connections underlying bs, and poof! Glad you produced this concept.

I consumed information, while producing very little for others. I felt like learning was doing.

THIS was what gave me a boost. I'm learning code right now, and I guess I consume 60% compared to produce 40%
I think it will help me to turn those around.
Start producing some common sense out of common problems, rather than produce common problems out of common sense..

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Remember to not look down on others for being different
Yeah I totally feel you here man

After the last few years, I feel like I have lost almost all ability to judge others - and gotten that much harder on myself.

I think a lot of it came with having kids.

Seems like every time I get that urge, i dig a little deeper and see a reflection of a part of myself.

Usually that is the reality of what you judge in others - the things you hate the most about yourself.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
We all come to this forum because we believe in ourselves.

We believe that we possess something at our core that sets us apart - something that makes us above average.

Lately I have been reflecting on the what it is that actually makes me happy. Not happy in the fantasy world of reaching some permanent state of bliss that doesn't actually exist, but truly satisfied with the present and optimistic about the future of it. I've never experienced the life that I want, that much I know. So how then do I know it is what I want?

Life, I have realized, boils down to being one of two things - a Producer, or a Consumer.

Now I fully understand that I didn't invent this concept; heck, I'm probably the 10,000th guy to say that on the forum. But what I have been coming to realize is that this idea isn't just some fastlane entrepreneurial boilerplate - it is a purpose for existence.

I think we all tell ourselves by nature of desiring to want to build a business we are a producer.

Stop for a moment. Think about the different areas of your life.

Think about your relationships.

Think about your health.

Think about your religion.

Do you produce here? Or are you simply consuming?

I have come to the realization that the line between production and consumption is so fine and intricately intertwined in every way we live that it becomes imperative that we examine them.

What brought this to the surface for me was a realization.

At my core, in the deepest part of who I am - I am a producer. Maybe we all are.

I was reflecting on why I fail. Why do I lose motivation. Why am I not living my life's purpose.

It suddenly became perfectly clear - I have been living my life trying to satisfy a need to produce - by consuming.

The truth is, production and consumption apply to all things - and aren't really attached to material things any more than we ourselves attache them.

I used to consume relationships, consume communication. I fed on it.

I consumed religion - instead of relating to my creator and producing a better self.

I was a consumer of emotions, of control, of LIFE.

And never understood why I never felt satisfaction.

Now, I understand.

Every facet of this life is an opportunity to produce, and we mistakenly interpret these as opportunities to consume.

We consume healthcare in an attempt to outsource the production of our health. We need to use doctors as a tool to produce our own health.

We consume counseling as a way of trying to consume our way into a better marriage. We need to use it as a tool to find our problems and produce a solution.

We consume 20 minutes of time on a treadmill so we can eat junk and tell ourselves we are trying.

I'm done consuming. I never want to look at anything and think it is an answer.

I will produce. I will produce the life I was put here to have.

Find the opportunity to produce in every choice you make.

Use communication to produce a friendship. Use a book to produce a better process in your life.

Use your time to produce a better world.

There is nothing in existence that you can "get" to pull your purpose from you and give it to the world.

It is up to us to create our answer.

Brilliant, thought and soul provoking post. Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.