The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

trademarks and domain names

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Check this out

How Groupon Bought The Domain Groupon.com [clip] | Business Tips

Groupon.com was already taken by a guy in england, before groupon as we all know it was born. They were using groupon.thepoint.com , but then trademarked the name which meant that the guy who owned the domain in could apparently no longer legally do anything with the site.

I have a great domain for a new business, but want to bootstrap and would rather not spend money trademarking the name if i can get away with it, until i have some money coming in from sales. I fear that someone might pull the same trick.

Did groupon only manage to get away with what they did because there was no existing site sitting on the domain, whereas if ive actually got something up and running this wouldnt be an issue?

I understand that whatever you say isnt to be taken as legal advice and all that, but any input from anyone who has any idea on this would be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Check this out

How Groupon Bought The Domain Groupon.com [clip] | Business Tips

Groupon.com was already taken by a guy in england, before groupon as we all know it was born. They were using groupon.thepoint.com , but then trademarked the name which meant that the guy who owned the domain in could apparently no longer legally do anything with the site.

I have a great domain for a new business, but want to bootstrap and would rather not spend money trademarking the name if i can get away with it, until i have some money coming in from sales. I fear that someone might pull the same trick.

Did groupon only manage to get away with what they did because there was no existing site sitting on the domain, whereas if ive actually got something up and running this wouldnt be an issue?

I understand that whatever you say isnt to be taken as legal advice and all that, but any input from anyone who has any idea on this would be much appreciated.

I had no idea that was even possible

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
"1. You can establish rights in a mark based on use of the mark in commerce, without a registration.

2. It is not mandatory to obtain a federal registration in order to acquire rights in amark.

"

This is from the USPTO book on trademarks. My best guess is that if that person was using the website with its original intentions, those that filed a trademark would have lost because the original owner would have had common law rights to the name.

ALSO ADDING: the original owner therefore could still use that name, under a different goods and services categorization.

** Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney, not providing legal advice. **

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
At least the guy got $250K for it. I'm sure that's a nice turn-around compared to what he probably bought it for!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.