The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Tim Ferris and concept of mini retirement.

Nik@16

Contributor
Aug 22, 2018
India
Mini retirements vs f*ck you money for life.
Which lifestyle is better and more plausible and why ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
I tried being retired. Hated it.
Having enough income, without a traditional job, is an interesting position. Buying and owning stuff doesn't mean as much. The rush quickly fizzles out. When you can buy what you want, when you want it, there's no real urgency. I'm into the idea that less is more. Less makes life a lot more simple.

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Apr 20, 2014
I left my corporate job and spent a season skiing (and other adventures) fulltime. I'd say the 4hww probably added to my inspiration to do so.

Life is short, there are no guarantees. If you have an opportunity to pursue a dream, I think it should seriously be considered.

There is no right answer to that question, I'd say it depends on the person.

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I think a lot of people (especially in the FIRE community) confuse retirement and freedom.

Retirement has been put on a pedestal that is the ultimate goal for many people, especially if you can retire early.

What you don't hear are the people just plain bored during retirement. The people who spend their whole lives dedicated to building the "dream" (aka their retirement), only to find that now they have no purpose.

What people really want is freedom.

You'd probably be surprised to hear that most people actually don't mind working at all, as long as it's meaningful work and aligns with their core values.

Personally, I want a location independent business + assets that provide me with cashflow and investment opportunities, rather than a lump sum of cash in an index fund.

If you're interested in these ideas, here's a couple podcasts I really enjoyed:

Podcast 9 - Core Values And Your Success

http://www.tropicalmba.com/40percentrule/

http://www.tropicalmba.com/retirementcult/

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
Being retired doesn't guarantee happiness. There have been some cases of passive suicide (even active suicide) after people retire and become depressed because they feel useless to the world. Boredom really is a killer and idle hands are indeed the devil's workshop. I equate happiness with freedom and being retired and free is a lot more conducive to happiness than being retired and not free/happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom