The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The way I get bored, and a question formed from it.

Anything related to matters of the mind

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Today I got bored. It wasn't because I was doing anything tedius. It wasn't because I had to sit in a quiet room, waiting for a phone call. In fact, I was quite thoughrally engaged, mentally speaking. Yet, I still got bored- bored going on border, which for me brings about a sense of pain, and would lead to depression if I let it.

The difference between this and 'normal' boredom is that it isn't hard to concentrate... Tedius things make you literally fall asleep (I did some research before posting. A boring, difficult little article said this: 30 seconds before mistakes are made with repetitive tasks, the rest parts of the brain activate. So basically scientists with an MRI discovered what we already know: Boring, repetitive tasks shut your brain off.)

Here's the thing I recognize: Often when I get bored, it's because my actions/situation don't line up with what I'm expecting or desiring in my head. Basically, I want something else out of the situation.
Today I couldn't take any action that would make what I want come to fruition, so rather than that course, I changed my environment. Logged in here, did a little looking around, made a post (2 if you count this) and that worked. My expectations changed with the environment, and all is lined up in a way that works.

However... I dawned on a question that I believe could lead me to much higher levels of productivity:
How do you turn the focus in your head to align with your actions or situation, instead of the other way around?

I hope that made sense. Right now, I'm about 60-70% of what Russ would call a dreamer. (Got that from a forum search on 'boring'.).. While the little bit of doing is leaps and bounds better than none, switching those numbers to 60-70% doer would be awesome.

Maybe the problem will turn out to be simply discipline after all (as it parallels a lack of discipline: Being unwilling to do things when there's something else you would prefer.)- I don't know. In my current state of mind, it seems more like a cause to lack discipline, than being undisciplined itself.

Before I post this and wait for discussion and advice, I'll list off the best tip I found for reading through a boring book. "Pretend William Shatner is reading it to you."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Pull the trigger. Quit thinking about it. Just do it. If you fail, you have grown wiser. If you succeed, you have grown wiser. Letting time go by due to 'questioning yourself ' is NOT wise -wisdom is an illusion in this case. I may be wrong but it appears to me that all of your knowledge is based on one side of the line, and growing... step over.

From what I've read, you are more than smart enough to work your way through issues as the come up. Apply the fastlane principles once you're in it.

Get on the diving board, plug your nose, and take the nestea plunge!

You only live once and tomorrow is not promised. So get in there!

That's how at least I would do it... YEAH!:urock2:

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
How do you turn the focus in your head to align with your actions or situation, instead of the other way around?

This is a very interesting question!

When I read this I thought about the following video from the Royal Society of Arts talking about how people think and live (in the past, present or future):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg

I watched it a few times and learned something new each time.

In my opinion an entrepreneur or investor is 'future positive oriented' (using the video's terminology). If, for example, an individual is naturally 'past negative oriented' or 'present hedonistic' or 'future negative oriented' it would be very difficult for them to engage in investing or entrepreneurial tasks because they would consider it boring and be unmotivated.

A different strategy must be used to convince a 'past negative oriented' to become an entrepreneur or investor (who are naturally 'future positive oriented'). In fact, a different strategy must be used for individuals with different time perspectives.

Just an idea.

Before I post this and wait for discussion and advice, I'll list off the best tip I found for reading through a boring book. "Pretend William Shatner is reading it to you."

This made me chuckle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.