The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Free Idea / Problem / Solution Thread

Idea threads

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
The Free Idea / Problem / Solution Thread

As there has been some interest from Windsurfer about an idea thread, I figured I'd kick it off here.

Some people are very protective of their ideas, but I'm so over my head with my current plans that I have zero chance or desire to execute on needs or problems I discover. If you discover a need you know you won't be interested in or know you can't execute on, post it here. I find brainstorming and exploring ideas crucial to the way I look at business and how I can provide a better product and service for my own business.

Ways to use this thread:
  1. Use it as a brainstorming tool to strengthen your producer mentality by posting.
  2. Use it as a learning resource. Read through ideas people post and learn from them.
  3. And finally, if you see an idea you'd like to execute on or discuss, copy the post link (upper right hand orner of the post) and link to it in a new thread with your plans for execution. As always, ask/thank the person who discovered and posted the need. There are A LOT of idea threads. It'd be cool to see this idea thread spawn more execution ones.

Post format:
Sector:
Website, web service, real world product, marketing, any good description.
Type:
Product or service.
Problem / Need:
Provide an accurate description of what the problem or need you've identified is. Include pain points and how it applies to people's lives.
Solution:
If you can imagine a solution, provide a potential solution you envision to the problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I'll kick it off with my baby idea I would LOVE to execute on but simply just don't have the time to! I honestly don't foresee being able to get to this anytime soon, but someone will. I've offered this up several times to people looking for ideas.

EXECUTED. http://www.whatsapp.com/ possibly selling to google for a billion.

Sector:
Mobile app / service.

Type:
Service.

Problem / Need:
Whether I'm out with friends in a 5,000 square foot night club or on the lawn of TomorrowLand at the main stage, it is IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate meetups. Not only is the music loud, but identifiers like "I'm 30 degrees north west of that big pole about 20 paces out" in a text message is nearly impossible to decipher.

This problem also percolates to other forms of social meetups. It's 9pm on a Caturday night and our friends are driving four cars to Capitol Hill in Seattle. No one in any car knows exactly where we're going on Capitol hill, so an insane web of text messages from the passengers in each car frantically works to try and figure it out. As everyone left a different location at a different time, no one is sure when the other people will arrive.

Meeting up is a social nightmare.

Solution:
The solution we came up with to this problem would be a mobile app that allows a group of friends to quickly create a hangout session with the service. The first feature that links everyone together is an easy, instantaneous group chat that seamlessly allows everyone to communicate together at once. No more gigantic web of texts. The second feature is the ability for each person to broadcast their location and have it overlaid on Google Maps. If you had it integrated with Facebook, it could even show their name and a circle with their profile pic on their location.

Reimagine TomorrowLand. I'm at the main stage halfway in and I desperately need water. I ask around and offer to grab more water for everyone else in my group. While I'm at the counter, a notification occurs and Ashley and Mark both want a bottle of water too, so I purchase two extra. After I purchase four waters I look back at the sea of people; it looks daunting. I pull out the hangout app and literally follow the physical map location of my friends. As I walk through the crowd, or identifiers get closer and closer. I'm 10 feet away and still don't see them. I walk a little further and there they are. For anyone who's been to one of these events or even a small nightclub... this would be a LIFE saver. I can't tell you the number of times we've given up and missed out on seeing an amazing show next to our friends.

The possibilities of this app are endless. It's not just for party kids in their twenties. Any time anyone meets up with anyone, they should start a hangout with this app. If you're meeting up for coffee in Seattle, start a hangout with that person and never be left in the dark about how far away they are while you sit their awkwardly pretending to sip your empty cup of coffee.

You go to the mall with your girlfriend and get into a bit of a tiff. You want to go to the Apple store and she wants to go to Nordstroms to shop for handbags. Although you could just text, she's going to shop around for a while and she doesn't want to keep updating you on where she is. Instead, you guys start a hangout and after you're done at the Apple store, you can let her know you're heading over, already knowing her location, and meet up with her directly.

I dare you to try and find your friends without this app:
tml12-x4.jpg

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'll kick it off with my baby idea I would LOVE to execute on but simply just don't have the time to! I honestly don't foresee being able to get to this anytime soon, but someone will. I've offered this up several times to people looking for ideas.

Sector:
Mobile app / service.

Type:
Service.

Problem / Need:
Whether I'm out with friends in a 5,000 square foot night club or on the lawn of TomorrowLand at the main stage, it is IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate meetups. Not only is the music loud, but identifiers like "I'm 30 degrees north west of that big pole about 20 paces out" in a text message is nearly impossible to decipher.

This problem also percolates to other forms of social meetups. It's 9pm on a Caturday night and our friends are driving four cars to Capitol Hill in Seattle. No one in any car knows exactly where we're going on Capitol hill, so an insane web of text messages from the passengers in each car frantically works to try and figure it out. As everyone left a different location at a different time, no one is sure when the other people will arrive.

Meeting up is a social nightmare.

Solution:
The solution we came up with to this problem would be a mobile app that allows a group of friends to quickly create a hangout session with the service. The first feature that links everyone together is an easy, instantaneous group chat that seamlessly allows everyone to communicate together at once. No more gigantic web of texts. The second feature is the ability for each person to broadcast their location and have it overlaid on Google Maps. If you had it integrated with Facebook, it could even show their name and a circle with their profile pic on their location.

Reimagine TomorrowLand. I'm at the main stage halfway in and I desperately need water. I ask around and offer to grab more water for everyone else in my group. While I'm at the counter, a notification occurs and Ashley and Mark both want a bottle of water too, so I purchase two extra. After I purchase four waters I look back at the sea of people; it looks daunting. I pull out the hangout app and literally follow the physical map location of my friends. As I walk through the crowd, or identifiers get closer and closer. I'm 10 feet away and still don't see them. I walk a little further and there they are. For anyone who's been to one of these events or even a small nightclub... this would be a LIFE saver. I can't tell you the number of times we've given up and missed out on seeing an amazing show next to our friends.

The possibilities of this app are endless. It's not just for party kids in their twenties. Any time anyone meets up with anyone, they should start a hangout with this app. If you're meeting up for coffee in Seattle, start a hangout with that person and never be left in the dark about how far away they are while you sit their awkwardly pretending to sip your empty cup of coffee.

You go to the mall with your girlfriend and get into a bit of a tiff. You want to go to the Apple store and she wants to go to Nordstroms to shop for handbags. Although you could just text, she's going to shop around for a while and she doesn't want to keep updating you on where she is. Instead, you guys start a hangout and after you're done at the Apple store, you can let her know you're heading over, already knowing her location, and meet up with her directly.

I dare you to try and find your friends without this app:
tml12-x4.jpg

Whatsapp already has these features and is installed on nearly every smartphone. Also, the functionality is very limited by the accuracy of GPS.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Whatsapp already has these features and is installed on nearly every smartphone. Also, the functionality is very limited by the accuracy of GPS.

Just installed haha. Why the F*ck have I never heard of this before? It's not in any of the Top apps on the Google Play store, nor can I find any search criteria to find it!

Well... looks like I have a nack for coming up with billion dollar app ideas. ;) haha

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
I can see this thread being really useful, so I'll go ahead and throw one out.

Sector: Software B2B

Type: SAAS

Problem/need: There are no accounting programs designed specifically for breweries. There are a few options out there, but they are very expensive. Quickbooks pro is decent, but is still not so good for the production side.

Solution: Have a programmer work with a small brewery to develop accounting software. Here is a link to one competitor: Brewery Management Software | Brewery Software

I really can't stand how they make it so hard to get pricing. I found out you can either buy the software for $10k or pay a monthly fee. There will be quite a few more breweries opening up over the next few years, and I know first-hand that there is a need for a cheaper option.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.