The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The better fastlane idea?

Idea threads

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Hello again guys,

Hope you all had a fab new year. So I'm torn between 2 ideas, I've analysed both ideas but could be missing something so I'm here for advice.

First concept:
Venue booking platform which allows instant booking instead of just reserve. This idea there is a significant gap as most directories just allow you to reserve. Obviously we entails a lot of communication between venues and myself to avoid double bookings and everything else that can go wrong. It's risk FREE doesn't cost them to sign up, make money from other premiums.

Second concept:

Event & Nightlife searcher - I often think to myself while sat at home 'wish there was something to do' I tend to browse facebook or twitter for hours looking for that one thing. I know there is a couple of mobile apps where you can search for events near you but I plan to develop this idea into something bigger. But that would be the base idea for now.

I obviously want to pick the best one which will help provide a better service to people but also create a passive income. Heavy advertising is required for both concepts either way.

What do you guys think? I have more things planned for the event searcher than the venue booker. Common sense really but this is my 3rd/4th venture and I want it to be perfect.

Be nice to me ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
What type of venue? Are you competing with stubhub and ticketmaster?

Event & Nightlife searcher - I often think to myself while sat at home 'wish there was something to do' I tend to browse facebook or twitter for hours looking for that one thing. I know there is a couple of mobile apps where you can search for events near you but I plan to develop this idea into something bigger. But that would be the base idea for now.

You will have to change peoples habits. I can't see it working. Everyone is trying to do this. I heard this idea a few times as well.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
It's like non of them. It's more of a promotion for events / allows people to see whats happening around them. Do you use stubhub or ticketmaster to see if theres an event at a nightclub? Or your local leisure centre? or even restaurant?

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
It's like non of them. It's more of a promotion for events / allows people to see whats happening around them. Do you use stubhub or ticketmaster to see if theres an event at a nightclub? Or your local leisure centre? or even restaurant?

Depends, my life style is different from yours. Good luck to you.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Depends, my life style is different from yours. Good luck to you.

I'm speaking from the area. Your clearly not from England so life over here is 'different'. Our nightlife scene is a big thing. Me not myself as I don't drink. Plus it's not aimed to be just 'nightclubs' is everything in general.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Venue booking platform which allows instant booking instead of just reserve. This idea there is a significant gap as most directories just allow you to reserve. Obviously we entails a lot of communication between venues and myself to avoid double bookings and everything else that can go wrong. It's risk FREE doesn't cost them to sign up, make money from other premiums.

I like this idea better because there is significant "problem solving" here. Are venues clamoring for this service?

The second idea is also plausible but it is nothing new. In fact, some guy two years ago proposed the same thing on the inside.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
First concept:
Not sure if there's a business here. You'll never be able to get instant booking, as the booking process is not just a "hey sign me up!" it's more of a several hour conversation about the event... but a directory of venues that contains all event information for dates and how to contact them for booking would be great. Since you'd already have all the event information and venues, you could also do this with the 2nd idea, and possibly monetize by automatically building guestlists for clubs and taking a small percentage.

Event & Nightlife searcher - I often think to myself while sat at home 'wish there was something to do' I tend to browse facebook or twitter for hours looking for that one thing.
I know there is a couple of mobile apps where you can search for events near you but I plan to develop this idea into something bigger. But that would be the base idea for now.[/quote]
In your area, find out the top 2-3 event promotion companies and like their pages on Facebook. I usually have over 50 event invites a week to club events and parties here in Seattle. o.0 And... I just went searching for it on the web and couldn't find it, but I know the mobile Facebook app has an "Events Near Me" button that's pretty nifty.

I like this idea better because there is significant "problem solving" here. Are venues clamoring for this service?
Knowing the industry... the big guys aren't, only the little guys with small marketing budgets.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK

Thanks for that MJ, I would say they are. I mean promotion is promotion. But how would you turn this into risk free but still earn income. I thought with the instant booking of taking a percentage from that. Just thoughts going about at the moment.

Not sure if there's a business here. You'll never be able to get instant booking, as the booking process is not just a "hey sign me up!" it's more of a several hour conversation about the event... but a directory of venues that contains all event information for dates and how to contact them for booking would be great. Since you'd already have all the event information and venues, you could also do this with the 2nd idea, and possibly monetize by automatically building guestlists for clubs and taking a small percentage.

The current directories that I've seen are so messy it's unreal. I plan to make things a 3 step process or even 4. More user friendly which people love. I personally hate going onto a website and struggling to find the thing I'm actually looking for.

In your area, find out the top 2-3 event promotion companies and like their pages on Facebook. I usually have over 50 event invites a week to club events and parties here in Seattle. o.0 And... I just went searching for it on the web and couldn't find it, but I know the mobile Facebook app has an "Events Near Me" button that's pretty nifty.

Great advice and thanks again!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But how would you turn this into risk free but still earn income. I thought with the instant booking of taking a percentage from that. Just thoughts going about at the moment.

That's how I grew my business -- I only earned based on results. Letting venues join for FREE and taking a % of reservation is a great idea. Win Win.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
hat's how I grew my business -- I only earned based on results. Letting venues join for FREE and taking a % of reservation is a great idea. Win Win.
Anyway I can contact you personally? Got a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. I'm believing more in this idea, just some careful planning to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.