The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Testing Ideas with Ads.. & WHEN to call it a success or failure.

Idea threads

niftyg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
I recently stumbled upon a technique that I can't believe I missed or didn't think about (zen*******'s Testing Video).

I have a few ideas that would be perfect to be tested this way (as this is the way I would go and get sales) so I go ahead and piece together some ads and a landing page when I realize....

How do I know if an idea is a success or a failure so quickly? Facebook, POF and Google ads, in my limited experience, take LOTS of optimizing to get them to be working right, as does a landing page.

To anybody who has used an ad to gain interest, how much time do you spend optimizing your ad and lander, and WHEN do you call the idea a success or failure?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
My suggestion would be to pick a single traffic source to start. Then spend based upon your returns, for example, if I were testing a new product/service with paid traffic, I'd run something like this.

30 different ads/banners ->3-4 different landing pages -> 1 checkout page(optimized of course, probably will need more testing but for demonstrations, this works)

On the high end, that's 30*4*1=120 different combinations. Now let's figure out how much you are making per CONVERSION. If you anticipate COGS(Cost of Goods Sold) to be $6 (including shipping, manufacturing, etc.) and you are selling the product for $20, you're looking at a gross profit of $14. Generally, for each conversion you want to spend double to triple that number for testing purposes, just to figure out which ad/lander/offer page combos are the best and worst. So let's take that number, 14(conversion profit)*120(ad combos)*3(testing variable)=$5,040?! This is casting a wide net, and generally with this many different variables, you WILL more than likely find something that works and prove the idea a success, or shun it to the depths of hell and move on. You can do a smaller testing net, and run something like 10 ads*2 landers and just gauge how many people actually click through from the lander to "estimate" your conversion rates on the end of the funnel. So that would be 14(CR Profit)*20(ad combos)*3(testing variable)=$840. Costs less, but not quite as accurate and leaves room for unknowns. Now figure out your COGS+CAC(Customer Acquisition Cost) and subtract it from your sales price ($20) and figure out your ROI.

Either way, you can spend a lot, or a little, and get a general idea of whether or not the idea is viable.

BTW, math may be a little fuzzy, correct me if I goofed anywhere. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.