The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tell Me What You Think

Would you use PAC?

• All the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is possible

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • If it looks cool and works well

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Probably never

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
First, I am a newbie, so don't go easy on me. Lol.
Secondly, I joined this community not to find a quick way to get rich, but rather advise on how to hone my skills in business, and getting your honest opinions on products and ideas I come up with.

Now to the juicy stuff...

I have designed a product I call PAC. A power adapter with a backup battery pack, a retractable built in USB cable, a retractable micro USB cable/Lightning iPhone 5/5s cable (depends on version), USB port and AC foldable adapter Plug.

The PAC will be the all-in-one power solution for your mobile devices. Now think about this, you are at home and your phone needs a charge. I don't know about you, but I usually grab my power adapter and plug in my phone charger cable into the USB slot into the power adapter and plug it into the wall. Now to me that means I have to grab my cable because I move it around the house to plug it into my laptop, wall plug adapter, and car USB power adapter. So I am hauling this cable around all the time, plus I need to have the adapter to plug the USB cable into... WHAT A HASSLE! The PAC solves this by allowing for the cables to be built inside and retractable. Now all I need is the PAC to carry around. When you go out of town, bring the PAC. When you are on a plane, the PAC has a battery pack built inside so you can charge your device even when you are not near a AC power source. With the USB cable and phone cable both inside the PAC you can also use it to charge using your laptop/car USB port and anything else that uses USB.

Now I know that was quite long, but hopefully you get the picture. I have already developed a prototype and have a patent in the works. Also I am working on refining the design to make it as small as possible while retaining functionality. However, before I proceed even further and spend more money on this, I would like ya'll to tell me what you think. Would you use this product? Would you change anything about it based on the description I gave y'all?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
seems like it would work. I am sure many people would buy it. I personally have multiple USB cords, so I don't have to go looking for them. LOL I like the idea of it having the recharging battery included. I have one of those, but I am always looking for it, or wondering if it is charged. In your design, would the battery be recharging whenever the PAC is plugged in? That would be a great feature .

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
seems like it would work. I am sure many people would buy it. I personally have multiple USB cords, so I don't have to go looking for them. LOL I like the idea of it having the recharging battery included. I have one of those, but I am always looking for it, or wondering if it is charged. In your design, would the battery be recharging whenever the PAC is plugged in? That would be a great feature .

Of course! The rechargeable battery will simultaneously be charging even when the PAC is plugged into your devices. The early prototype I have does not have any indicator lights to let people know if the battery is 100% full, 50% or 25% but I plan on getting that feature added :)

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
I need the PAC right now...

I will definitely let you know when I get some PACs manufactured! My goal is to make the PAC affordable, good looking and full of useful features! I am looking at offering several colors you would be able to choose from so it can get that personal touch.

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
My phone is constantly dying and I am always running to get the charger. I also dislike a really short cord, I like to be able to plug in and still use it and not have to sit tied to the wall- if that helps any

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
I'm liking the idea, seems convenient. Will the PAC be portable/lightweight like that of an iPhone power adapter?

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
I like it. A lot. What is the size, weight and price range?

Thank you. The current prototype is H: 1 1/2" W: 3" L: 2 1/4". I am working on getting a design that is much smaller. The first prototype is definitely bulky but that will change. The price has not been determined yet. But the goal is for the base model with the 2500mAh battery to be around 20-25 bucks.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
If the product is really high quality and durable, I'd pay way more than that. I would test the market out first before putting a price tag on.

It has to be slick though, using as little space and being as light as possible.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm pretty sure there is already something like this around. I think I even saw one that allows you to charge your phone by cranking a level which turns your kinetic energy into electricity energy to charge your phone. I think it's for if you're out in the woods in the middle of nowhere and you need electricity to power your phone, to confirm via the amount of bars on your phone, that you are indeed in the middle of nowhere. Crazy stuff!

DON'T be discouraged though by what i just said because as far as I know there isn't a device like this that is WELL KNOWN. Which means if you market the hell out of it on informercials or something and get it to become the next Snuggie, people will reference PAC for years to come. Hell, maybe urban dictionary will have a reference to it!

I say manufacture it in china and market the crap out of it.

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
I'm liking the idea, seems convenient. Will the PAC be portable/lightweight like that of an iPhone power adapter?

Absolutely! My current prototype is a bit bulky, but of course it is my FIRST prototype. When I shrink PAC down in size it will be able to slide right into your pocket!

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
If the product is really high quality and durable, I'd pay way more than that. I would test the market out first before putting a price tag on.

It has to be slick though, using as little space and being as light as possible.

That is the plan! Mike.B uses the Halo which the PAC will be around the same size as that. I will post some pictures of some of the possible final designs, but I agree with you, must be lightweight and slick.

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
I'm pretty sure there is already something like this around. I think I even saw one that allows you to charge your phone by cranking a level which turns your kinetic energy into electricity energy to charge your phone. I think it's for if you're out in the woods in the middle of nowhere and you need electricity to power your phone, to confirm via the amount of bars on your phone, that you are indeed in the middle of nowhere. Crazy stuff!

DON'T be discouraged though by what i just said because as far as I know there isn't a device like this that is WELL KNOWN. Which means if you market the hell out of it on informercials or something and get it to become the next Snuggie, people will reference PAC for years to come. Hell, maybe urban dictionary will have a reference to it!

I say manufacture it in china and market the crap out of it.

Crank chargers are a bit rudimentary, but I agree they are good for when one is in the middle of nowhere. :)
Even when I get PAC in nice little packaging and in cool colors, marketing will be a big hurdle. My current goal is to get a booth at CES once I get the designs all smoothed out and develop a solid marketing campaign. The next snuggie, hard to beat! lol

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
1. Patent it (if you can)
2. License it to a company like Jasco or Monster Cable
3. Retire

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.