The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TechCrunch: 10 of the most-funded startups to fail in 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Yesterday I posted about a company called Juicero, and some lessons on what NOT to do, lol..

TechCrunch also put together a list of the 10 most funded startups that have failed (Juicero also made it on this list) or are failing in 2017:

10 of the most-funded startups to fail in 2017

A Reddit user summarized them as follows:
image.png

I'm not posting this to mock these ideas or companies because I'm sure there were some brilliant minds and great entrepreneurs behind all of them. But it's sometimes good to observe and analyze why things don't work so we can learn from not just our own failures, but other people's mistakes as well.

And they are ALL reminders that execution is EVERYTHING.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Yesterday I posted about a company called Juicero, and some lessons on what NOT to do, lol..

TechCrunch also put together a list of the 10 most funded startups that have failed (Juicero also made it on this list) or are failing in 2017:

10 of the most-funded startups to fail in 2017

A Reddit user summarized them as follows:
image.png

I'm not posting this to mock these ideas or companies because I'm sure there were some brilliant minds and great entrepreneurs behind all of them. But it's sometimes good to observe and analyze why things don't work so we can learn from not just our own failures, but other people's mistakes as well.

And they are ALL reminders that execution is EVERYTHING.
I'm sure most if not all of the these companies executed their butts off. Sure some of the problems could be attributed to improper execution but execution means nothing if no one will buy the product. ;)

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm sure most if not all of the these companies executed their butts off. Sure some of the problems could be attributed to improper execution but execution means nothing if no one will buy the product. ;)
Well yes, no doubt I am sure they executed their butts off. But execution AND idea/product must definitely be on par.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
But @AllenCrawley who doesn't need a $700 wifi-enabled juicer? [emoji12]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
Jawbone failed? Wow. It's funny because they were a well known fitness tracker. Steamrolled by Fitbit I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser450

The startup dead pool could fill more pages than this forum has. VC is speculative with a terrible W-L record. Yes, big wins often make it worth it - for VCs. Pension funds, endowments and foundations still eat dirt because of unicorn-painted donkeys.

What They Didn't Do:
Offer a defensible, profitable product that a big market wants and is willing to pay for.

It's like VCs have no CENTS.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
The startup dead pool could fill more pages than this forum has. VC is speculative with a terrible W-L record. Yes, big wins often make it worth it - for VCs. Pension funds, endowments and foundations still eat dirt because of unicorn-painted donkeys.

What They Didn't Do:
Offer a defensible, profitable product that a big market wants and is willing to pay for.

It's like VCs have no CENTS.

You're right. I manage Pension Fund assets for a living. We do expect most vc investments to fail but the few homeruns typically make up for it. (This is assuming your assets are with a good VC manager)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Guest24480

Sometimes funding can drive founders to complacency, similar to a kid who does well on a test, is told he is smart, and then gets steamrolled on the next one because he didn't think he had to study.

I've been a member of a co-working office space before and was dumbfounded by the venture-backed startups without an MVP to show for (how did they get funding again?) who played ping-pong for 2 hours at lunch break and worked 10-4 on Fridays because they refused to miss happy hour. Sadly, this is what the majority of the start-up world considers "entrepreneurship", and it's why 90% of them fail.

G

GuestUser450

You're right. I manage Pension Fund assets for a living. We do expect most vc investments to fail but the few homeruns typically make up for it. (This is assuming your assets are with a good VC manager)
I wish there were VCs that were paid for performance not fees and had to invest in their own funds. If I was an LP I'd be pretty disgusted with the whole deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.