The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tear My Website To Shreds... (Please)

JT388

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 30, 2015
Hello All,

Godaddy has informed me that my $12 website will cost me several hundreds worth of dollars to renew. As this is a new start up, I am not making enough to cover the renewal cost (nearly $400 LOL) - I created the website on a blank canvas (didn't use a template), completely my design.

BUT!

The website didn't convert that well, nobody bought my services before contacting me, I always had to answer several questions just to have a deal with someone (only worth $100) - then they requested an invoice normally - making my current website USELESS. It is not mobile optimised (so please ONLY view it from your desktop) - I need you to RIP it apart to shreds... everything you think is bad, wrong, terrible about my website / sales funnel even (I don't even have a proper sales funnel).

Throw me all the criticism/advice you have.

I just want my 2016 to begin with a NEW website that actually converts (on desktop).

(If you know a good service to use that lets you drag and drop on a blank canvas, please let me know - I recently signed up to Pagecloud, but it is very very laggy)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Beautiful design.

But since you're not looking for compliments, here goes (take with a grain of salt, these are just some opinions and brainstorming):

- Why are all the logos in a single color?

- Maybe the headline could be better. Not sure it fully communicates the value you're providing. Based on quality of design, I thought these logos must be expensive. So great price is a part of what makes your offer compelling (although, maybe bigger price would work better, who knows?)

- Contact forms have a checkbox for "receiving email updates". This is confusing. Updates on what? By clicking it do I sign up for a list? Or I need to click it so that I get the response to my email address? (Just trying to show you here how some of your customers might think.)

- I think you don't tell enough of a story, and what little you have written is painful to read in that color combination. Text is also perhaps too wide and without any line breaks. Not too pleasant for reading.

- The purpose of your contact forms doesn't seem to be perfectly clear. Seems like you're making it harder on people to contact you. If this is a plain contact form - name, email and message fields would suffice, right? To make it as simple as possible for prospects to make their first step towards purchase. And if you wanted it to be a sort of order form for logos, maybe it should have much more options, to help you understand what prospect is looking for.

But as you said...

The website didn't convert that well, nobody bought my services before contacting me

Is this necessarily bad? For business owners, the logo they will use can be sort of a big deal. They'll do business or sell a product under this logo. Why wouldn't they want to talk to you, ask questions and communicate their desires and needs?

It may also be an opportunity to form a more personable relationship with them, and become their go-to guy for all things design. And their happiness may result in word-of-mouth marketing. When there's a new logo, there may also be a need for new business cards, or product photos retouching.

Are you solely a designer, or someone who understands their vision, and adds his own experience and inspiration to it? Do you design logos? Or do you create brands? For the latter you may be able to charge more. But both are viable options. Just thinking outloud here about how you could perhaps charge more for your talent by positioning your services differently. On the other hand I guess many people just want the logo, cheaply and quickly. You certainly know your market better than I do.

I always had to answer several questions just to have a deal with someone

Put together a FAQ? Or maybe include answers to some of the frequent questions to your sales pitch too?
One question I'd have if I was a cusotomer is are these logos completely original, designed from scratch, or made using some logo making software (please take that as a compliment, to me these logos are too pretty for the price:)

It is not mobile optimised (so please ONLY view it from your desktop)

Cool man, but tell that to the customers.

- Probably not important, but it's a usual practice that logo is clickable and brings you back to the homepage.

Mcfroggin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 20, 2015
Clicking on the USA tab, the language/grammar used is not good quality. Many entrepreneurs function by having a little OCD, and seeing poorly written content could be a deal breaker.

The price point is good, so I would assume that clicks would lead to more sales if the language inspired more action.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Firstly, why in the hell would it cost $400 to renew your website? There's no reason that should be the case.

Secondly, if you didn't make $400 this YEAR, your goal should not be to start the year with a new WEBSITE - it should be to figure out how to make MONEY.

Thirdly, I like the layout of the bottom half of the website, but hate the top section. I also hate the black background and bright colors. I'd make the website background a softer, lighter color like white or light gray and make the logos explode with color to show off what they'd buy. Looking at it, I assume you only do white logos and I have 0 interest in a white logo.

Lastly, I don't like your logo. It's borderline clipart.

Ideas: Find someone that creates websites and needs a logo, and trade him. You get a simple, clean templated website in exchange for a high-quality custom made logo. Go on reddit and offer to do five logos for free. Post the logos for people to see and include a link to your website.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The website should come with a warning that it may induce seizures.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
It's too busy.
You sell logos, but your logo looks cheap
You sell a digital good, but your site is not mobile friendly in this day and age? You can get a responsive theme for FREE.
Your headline sux. "We make logos that you'll love"... Surely you can do better than that.
Your CTA sux. "Contact Us" ... Surely you can do better than that.
Your website is not even complete... Your social media links don't exist. You portfolio page looks like you just created a few logos, but are they for real customers? They don't link anywhere?
"Your business needs not only a beautiful logo, but a logo that attracts." That reads like 3rd world Engrish.

This has nothing to do with your website, but with sites like 99 Designs, etc. why would I come to you for my logo work? What makes you special or better than that platform. You need to answer those questions!

JT388

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 30, 2015
Wow thank you all. This is the constructive criticism I really needed. - To Wade1Mil, THANK YOU - That piece of advice with getting in reach with someone on REDDIT is killer, thank you. - I think the ironic part is by 'being cheap' I am scaring away customers, only showing white logos because they look 'pretty' on the website - I am thinking of absolutely splashing the prices of Logos to something more like $400USD for a nice Logo package. People who will spend $100 on a logo are MORE likely to think the $5 Fiverr logo deals are amazing value for money (even though they are made with mass used templates lol).

Seizures, Yes, I think that is VERY true, the site induces a bit of that.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Copy needs works.

"WE MAKE LOGOS THAT YOU WILL LOVE!"

Well I f*cking hope so. What logo company wouldn't make logos people love?

"It's time, and you know it."

Feels like you're trying to be too cutesy here. To me this tagline is just confusing.

What benefit is there for me to choose you over the 1000s of other logos designers out there? Make that your headline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.