The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • It's back! As an INSIDER you can now SORT any thread by LIKES. See this post for more info.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Taxes - Strategies or Techniques to Lower My Tax Bill?

21elnegocio

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 28, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Hello
Just wanted to see what are your guys techniques or strategies that you use to lower down your tax bill at the end of the year ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
When we finalized our taxes and wrote "the" check... It was hard not to have a ton of the fun sucked out of what we do. That's a problem... A problem we are fortunate enough to be able to solve.

The wife and I are both in agreement that in January we will be traveling to Puerto Rico with the intention of feeling out an eventual move there.

Move of companies. Everything.

In the interim... We have a good CPA, keep good records, and stay on the up and up.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
plan for it at the beginning of the year ...... get your books reviewed and keep them updated .....

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Because you're in Arizona, it might pay to take residency in Nevada and live in AZ part time. (Assuming you are making a lot of taxable money.)

When I was rolling in huge tax bills, I could have bought a condo in Las Vegas and have had the tax savings buy it (NV State Tax = 0%)-- essentially, getting a condo for free. I went as far as putting a few offers on some places, but then I ended up selling my business and it was no longer necessary.

I think there are some folks here (won't name 'em) who are doing this do avoid California state tax -- they live in CA part time, Nevada is residence.

Hello
Just wanted to see what are your guys techniques or strategies that you use to lower down your tax bill at the end of the year ?
FYI -- I renamed your thread title "Taxes" is unlikely to grab many eyeballs.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
As @ZCP said, plan for it at the beginning of the year. The best strategies to lower your tax burden require exactly that, solid planning and execution a year ahead of time. Just so far this year I've saved more in taxes than my take home was last year by doing exactly that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom