The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking a ride in the Fastlane

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Hello Fastlaners!

My name is Fiona, I am a 20 year old college senior currently living in Washington state. I came across this forum a couple weeks ago, and promptly got the book and read it.

Coming as a surprise to myself, after reading the book I realized that I am still firmly planted in the Slowlane, even though I had long had aspirations to be an entrepreneur. I also realized that my husband didn't even have a car, and was still on the sidewalk. It was easy for us - I was the saver, he was the spender. We met somewhere in the middle and luckily that was enough to keep us out of debt even as college students (we are both currently seniors). I realize that this isn't where either of us want to be, however, we aren't aiming to simply be servants to the money we 'earn', and The Millionaire Fastlane really opened my eyes to this reality, and I've got my husband on board too now. We want to (and will!) be Fastlaners.

We definitely need to hit up the Fastlane and gain some speed there!

Our first step: fix our car. It's chugging along at 40 mph right now, which is definitely a good start for a couple of college students expecting our first child. We will both be commissioning as lieutenants in the Army upon graduation (myself as a reserve officer, my husband as active duty), so we even have a stable source of income to get us started (however, we are relying on others for this income!). So, sure, our car runs - but it can definitely use a tune up and some new tires if we want to reach our goals.

Next up: Get a map! We can drive all we want, but if we don't have a map showing us where we're going, we're not going to get anywhere. It is not as simple as walking into a gas station and buying a map, however. We tried that, and the only route showing on that map is the Slowlane! So, we decided to create our own. After all, we can't rely on others to make it for us - we'd just find ourselves in the Slowlane (or even on the Sidewalk) again. So, I am researching and learning as much as I possibly can about the routes we can take.

I'm still working out the details - obviously, I'm just starting on this path, and, in all reality, am still on the Slowlane. I am slowly learning about the tools I need to fix my car and take a ride in the Fastlane. Though I don't yet know which exit I want to take, the posts I've read so far here have been incredibly useful and inspiring, and my goal is to, at the very least, have a solid plan in place by the time I graduate. From there, I'll just be traveling one mile at a time, and hopefully learning a lot along the way!

I look forward to meeting you all and picking your brains, and hope that soon I will be able to return the favor and do the same for the next generation of Fastlaners. :icon_super:

Cheers!

Fiona

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro Fiona, thanks for taking time to write it!

We want to (and will!) be Fastlaners.

I think people confuse "fastlanism" with being a millionaire. People who aren't millionaires and yet, own their time in a venture they control I'd consider "Fastlane" -- Fastlane is not a destination, but a process. If you start the journey and embark on the dream, that is the dream. I think some of us lose that idea and then, life passes away.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Great intro Fiona, thanks for taking time to write it!

I think people confuse "fastlanism" with being a millionaire. People who aren't millionaires and yet, own their time in a venture they control I'd consider "Fastlane" -- Fastlane is not a destination, but a process. If you start the journey and embark on the dream, that is the dream. I think some of us lose that idea and then, life passes away.

I definitely see where you're coming from, MJ. I suppose I see myself as still on the Slowlane because I am relying on my Army income to make ends meet - I don't truly have control yet, I'm just starting the journey and it feels like I'm still working on getting the blindfold off and taking that first step.

But, in all reality, I have started the journey - the dream is there, and I'm taking my first steps towards it (taking a step is, after all, taking a step, no matter how wobbly I am at the time or how much I trip). I suppose, in a way, I'm already on the Fastlane. I may not be driving as fast as the others, I may have some engine stalls or lose a tire on the way, but I've taken the first step and that's a start. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...