The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling to come up with a business name.

Kapton

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 4, 2019
I've been trying to think up a business name that I love for over a month now (I know, it's crazy) but all I've come up is a few names that are good, but there are similar to them, such as: I bought anastir.com, but there's a turkish company called alastyr.com, and that just pisses me off. I want something unique that has the qualities of a proper business name and is not similar to other. I can't think of anything, what do I do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been trying to think up a business name that I love for over a month now (I know, it's crazy) but all I've come up is a few names that are good, but there are similar to them, such as: I bought anastir.com, but there's a turkish company called alastyr.com, and that just pisses me off. I want something unique that has the qualities of a proper business name and is not similar to other. I can't think of anything, what do I do?

After 1 day of failing at this you should've went with the best name you had or hired someone to do it for you. Stop wasting time and energy on this.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The creative process is definitely much harder when it's for your own stuff! I've spent months thinking about names too. What has worked for me in the past has been
  • Brainstorming on a notebook (write EVERYTHING). Reread it and new things will come up. Repeat. Write all day.
  • Take those words, or take what your business does, or take the mission, or take what separates you from the rest, and start thinking of adjectives/words that describe it, and start running everything you can think of through the Thesaurus, because if they don't work, a synonym might. (this is the one that never fails me)
Basically where I'm getting you is start making associations between words.. like.. idk... bathroom products: Sparkling. Clean. Immaculate. White. Pure. Organic. Then check synonyms for all those. Then see how those play with the biz mission, see if you can find words that imply value, effectiveness, positive results.

Hope that made sense that's what I do every time and I've come up with cool stuff If I may say so lol

Edit- I just came up with a cool app name in less than an hour doing this.

Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I don't know if I'd have stopped after a day as Lex suggests, but you absolutely need to get on with it. I say this having just recently been down this road myself. Like you, I wanted the perfect name. Guess what? isn't gonna happen. And the longer you spend trying to find the perfect name, the easier it is to fall into action faking or self-doubt.

If you already paid for anastir.com, go for it. To me it is different enough from that Turkish company, especially if they're not in your space.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018

The Kapton Company.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Not to rewind your progress but Anastir sounds like a device I can stir up ananas with (for whatever reason I'd like to do such a thing). But that's just me.

One addition to this of what I've recently read in Daniel Kahnemann's - Thinking, Fast and Slow:
"Finally, [...], choose a name that is easy to pronounce. Participants in an experiment were asked to evaluate the prospects of two fictitious Turkish companies on the basis of reports from two brokerage firms. For each stock, one of the reports came from an easily pronounced name (e.g., Artan) and the other report came from a firm with an unfortunate name (eg., Taahhut). The reports sometimes disagreed. The best procedure for the observers would have been to average the two reports, but this is not what they did. They gave much more weight to the report from Artan than to the report from Taahhut. Remember that System 2 (our concious system) is lazy and that mental effort is aversive. If possible, the recipients of your message want to stay away from anything that reminds them of effort, including a source with a complicated name."

This might also be a good read for you:

Best of luck.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
What product or service you want to sell? Have you found your first customer yet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.