werbl
New Contributor
I trade stocks, usually holding my positions one to five days. In my first few years of trading I was using a one-day, or a two-day trailing stop, and that seemed to be working quite well. However, over the past year or so, probably due to increased volatility, my stops have been getting needlessly hit way more often. For example, if I am long, a stock might have a larger one day drop, forcing me out of the position, then continue right on up and I miss out on all of the profit.
Taking these repeated small losses has been quite frustrating, so as a result I have loosened my stops quite a bit. Now I usually place them at levels of support and resistance, or along Bollinger bands. So far it's working out much better, and I haven't been burned yet.
My question for the other traders out there is, where do you place your stops? Why do you place them where you do, and do you change your strategy up based on overall market conditions or volatility? Thanks a lot!
Taking these repeated small losses has been quite frustrating, so as a result I have loosened my stops quite a bit. Now I usually place them at levels of support and resistance, or along Bollinger bands. So far it's working out much better, and I haven't been burned yet.
My question for the other traders out there is, where do you place your stops? Why do you place them where you do, and do you change your strategy up based on overall market conditions or volatility? Thanks a lot!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
