The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Soft Proof and Prototype

Otebzy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Hi fastlaners. I have a product in mind, it doesn't fill a "need" but I think it warrants a pretty good "want". I am looking into getting a prototype made but before spending all that money I need some soft proof that there actually will be demand for it. However, I can see that as soon as I start advertising it, getting paid promos on Instagram and Facebook etc, someone may steal the idea from me, someone more experienced in the idea to product process. So I am considering a patent. I have read about it and it seems that patents are pretty much useless once some Chinese factory starts making your product. You can choose to fight them but that will cost a lot of money, also it could take ages (years) for the patent to be approved in the first place and that is time wasted. So I'm asking you more seasoned fastlaners, is this (possibly futile) attempt to protect the idea through a patent actually worth the time and money or is it better to just go ahead and get my soft proof? Its not a groundbreaking product and I'm not even sure it it warrants a patent. Also how would you guys go about getting soft proof? It's a drinking gadget, I cant find any similar products that I can adapt my product to and fill in the consumer gaps and complaints. AdWords doesn't seem to have much interest as I'm not too sure what words to search for because the product doesn't exist yet.
Also about getting the prototype made; does anyone have experience with a quality electronic product engineer that can incorporate Bluetooth into the product in the UK. I also need to code and app, would it be really expensive (and therefore best to learn how to code myself) or does anyone know any app coders who are not crazy expensive.
I'm open to all responses, thanks guys, good luck, get building!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Well depending on how much you can afford. You need to change your perspective to be willing to fail. Then take it as a $X,XXX. Course in prototyping and product development. Which is probably way more valuble than what a 2 years of business college courses could teach you about this kind of things.

Youtube is your best friend, use gig sites like upwork to do the things you get stuck on for extended periods of time. 3d printing is solid for making home bound prototypes, and fusion 360 is a powerful autocad program thats free for 'personal' use limited up to 10 drawings.

Chibbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 9, 2020
USA
Well depending on how much you can afford. You need to change your perspective to be willing to fail. Then take it as a $X,XXX. Course in prototyping and product development. Which is probably way more valuble than what a 2 years of business college courses could teach you about this kind of things.
One software to look into is Freecad. It's an opensource CAd design software I've used for my 3D printing models. Also would recomend the Prusa line of 3D printers if you go that route. Don't try to buy one in the $200 range beccause youll end up spending all your time troubleshooting instead of building a business. Super reliable and I've actually used them to create small pieces for my products.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.