The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slowlane business owners...

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

dpj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Mar 21, 2013
Texas
Reading the MFL book really struck a chord with me, the idea of becoming phenomenally wealthy, while still young enough to enjoy it.

My dad was an business owner who was widely admired by friends and colleagues for running his own business much of his adult life. He was the mentor that people would go to for advice about business, etc. He wasn't the typical Chamber of Commerce or Rotary cheesy networking guy, but instead liked to hold court in his own office. He loved sales and was shrewd with vendors, and he always profited. He saved every penny, had no debt, and always paid off mortgages in a few years. I always thought he was awesome, and I couldn't wait to find my own niche and be just like him.

At one point in my early adulthood, I went to work in his business to learn "how to run a business". It was during that time that I realized that his "success" was actually more "stability" than anything. It became very clear to me that, while he loved selling and profiting, he loved the structure and stability even more. He and his employees always arrived by 7:45am to start the day promptly at 8:00. And at the end of the day, everyone had to report back to the office before 5:00 to ensure that no one was slacking off at the end of the day, even if their late afternoon sales or service calls were closer to their homes than back to the office.

It became very clear to me that while he was able to amass a nice nest egg through the years, he couldn't get away from the structure he created. He actually created a "job" for himself. Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, year in and year out. Weekends were spent relaxing at home.

He did what he loved, running his business, until after normal retirement age. Then he had to stop working because he got sick. He died 2 months later. It hit me, as I was helping my mother get things in order, that their nest egg was nice, but what good did it do him if he never let himself enjoy it?

He was proud to see my business start to take off a couple of years before he died, but I can almost hear his scoffing at the idea that I would want to grow it, sell it, and enjoy my Fastlane wealth. Sometime when I get bogged down in working in my business, I remind myself of dear old dad, and his 30-year job that he created for himself, and it always brings me back to the reality that, while I will always admire his work ethic and ability to sell, I won't let myself end up like that, working till I can't work anymore, much less enjoy the Fastlane lifestyle. I remind myself to work on my business, instead of getting too wrapped up working in the business.

dpj:thumbsup:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bophisto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 12, 2012
Sorry to hear about your father and that he didn't get a retirement. It does sound like he took pride in what he did though.

I think people feed into the mindset that if you own a business you NEED to work very long hours IN the business.

I look at businesses for sale frequently and so many of them state that the owner works in the business and sometimes the returns on these business are very low like 40k or less.

It seems like it would make more sense to get a job, but I think you are right people like the idea of control or possible stability of owning their own business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very interesting story ... somewhat sad too. At least you can take solice in that he enjoyed his work, and was doing what he felt was right for his life and happiness.

I look at businesses for sale frequently and so many of them state that the owner works in the business and sometimes the returns on these business are very low like 40k or less.

Yup, and their net hourly return on their time is probably less than $10 an hour.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Good post bro!

That's a highly valueable lesson you've learned from your dad - be thankful for that - work on your biz not in it...

welcome 2 the fl :thumbsup:

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
There is nothing "wrong" with working in a business full time if you enjoy it, regardless if your philosophy is fastlane or not. Sometimes you get more happiness doing work 12 hours per day that is meaningful and you enjoy, than spending time at a beach and luxury hotels with plenty of money in a bank account.

Work has some inherent values in itself and it's not always only about the money you get from working: it's about the process of creating, a sense of meaning, a sense of overcoming adversities, working alongside people you like towards a goal you love, etc..

Do not make judgements on other people's lives just by looking at how much money they made versus how many hours the worked. There is a lot more depth in work than cash.

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
but what good did it do him if he never let himself enjoy it?
From what you wrote, it sounds like he enjoyed the process of running a business and that alone was enough. Maybe it was never about being able to retire and kick back somewhere on a sunchair with a beer. Sounds as if he was happiest day to day doing what he did.

My friends dad was exactly the same, tireless worker his entire life, instilled the same work ethic into my friend and his brothers. He booked a round the world trip with his wife and shortly after was diagnosed with cancer. He never made the trip. When i heard that at his funeral it was like a punch in the face, a kind of wake up call that life is for living now, not in the future. And similar to what you said, thats what makes so much sense to me about TMF .

Scorpio

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 3, 2013
My father is still the same at the age of 70. He still go to office and love working. He don't want to retire.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
On the contrary I have known several very successful guys who it seems died because of retirement. They loved their businesses and loved the work they did. Once they were retired it seemed like they had no reason to get up in the morning or something like that. Maybe the mental capacity that was required for their work kept their mind sharp and once they retired it just went, I don't know but I personally want to be doing something that I love doing so much that I want to keep doing it into my 80's.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
If you retire, you expire.

I've seen it many times also. There is something about retirement that makes a man sick.
Countless times I've seen and heard stories from people who worked all their lives and once they retire, within a year they're gone.
Cancer, kidney failure, the flu, tuberculosis, whatever ... It suddenly pops out of nowhere.

bophisto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 12, 2012
It sounds like OP's father did enjoy his work. I agree if you do truly enjoy something and would rather be doing that than anything else. That's great and a rare thing.

I guess it really all depends what you are looking for.

I do think there is something to be said about work keeping people going after a certain age.

I think ideally a kind of semi retirement would be the best. Ability to travel and have flexibility with time , but also be active working on different things.

For some people working 8am-8pm in a business 5 days a week or more could be a desirable thing..

I just don't think I'm that kind of person honestly .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.