The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

nhauser

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 19, 2023
Hello everyone, as entrepreneurs we all know that most of our results reflect the hard work, time and commitment we put in to our businesses. I am pursuing a new business venture and am currently getting quotes from companies that build out prototypes. Now for the individual a single prototype can be quite costly. There are ways to fund the project but most investors are looking for more than a drawing on a napkin if not the actual prototype. Not to say that is all I have done, but my question is would you take the jump and fund a prototype yourself if your market research turned out positive for a need to be fulfilled? We've all put money in to things and have had failures that did not come back with the return we hoped for. So would you put it on the line and go for it? What are some factors that would hold you back? How much information do you need to execute before its analysis paralysis? If all boxes are checked from The Great Rat Race book is it green lights ahead? I suppose no risk no reward. Look forward to reading your suggestions and comments, thanks all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
You should definitely “jump” in one form or another. If your project is too complex to consider making at least part of the prototype yourself, then tighten your belt - fewer lattes and more ramen noodles - to help defray the cost. I highly recommend bootstrapping as much as possible. It’s a great opportunity to begin developing a skillset that will help facilitate future projects.

And you should plan to join the next Inventors’ Meetup in a few days. It’s a group of hard working fastlaners with diverse skills. And the main topic for this meeting is right up your alley…..

Next Months Meeting Information:
Sunday October 29th, 2023:

PDT: 8 AM
MDT: 9 AM
CDT: 10 AM
EST: 11 AM
BST: 4 PM
CEST: 5 PM

Main Topic:
Creating a cheap MVP/Prototype

Other topics are open for discussion. All are welcome

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
The likelihood that you have created and thought up the best version of your device this early in the phase of inventing is unlikely.

In my opinion, you should be looking how to create the cheapest possible prototype. If it is a physical product, could you get the shape and function of your product made with cardboard, wood, or thermoplastics? Could you learn simple CAD design from a place like TinkerCAD and start 3D printing your ideas at a local library?

Try and keep your costs low in the early stages. Chances are, as you start reworking the design and actually using your own products in the real world, you will find errors in your design that you missed when you were thinking of the concept.

By the time you are ready for someone to design and prototype your product, you will have much of the concepts locked down. Hopefully that will cut down on costs.

I also second what @RightyTighty said and join the meeting at the end of the month. I think you would get value from our meeting.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Hello everyone, as entrepreneurs we all know that most of our results reflect the hard work, time and commitment we put in to our businesses. I am pursuing a new business venture and am currently getting quotes from companies that build out prototypes. Now for the individual a single prototype can be quite costly. There are ways to fund the project but most investors are looking for more than a drawing on a napkin if not the actual prototype. Not to say that is all I have done, but my question is would you take the jump and fund a prototype yourself if your market research turned out positive for a need to be fulfilled? We've all put money in to things and have had failures that did not come back with the return we hoped for. So would you put it on the line and go for it? What are some factors that would hold you back? How much information do you need to execute before its analysis paralysis? If all boxes are checked from The Great Rat Race book is it green lights ahead? I suppose no risk no reward. Look forward to reading your suggestions and comments, thanks all.
Hey there mate! First thing id say entrepreneurship is all about taking calculated risks. If your market research shows a positive response so why not give it a shot and build the prototype out? The factors id keep in mind if the prototype fails would it fully ruin me? If not then id go ahead and execute it.
The information that you should keep in mind is the actually demand of your product, how big the market it and what your target audience will be. Please let me know your thoughts about this, also can we connect on linkedin? Id love to learn more about your product

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.