The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Sell advertising to local retail stores

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Eric10x10

New Contributor
Oct 18, 2015
Howdy y'all.

Hope everyone's doing well.

I currently own an email list of people interested in local discounts from the stores in their city of residence.

The list currently has 1000+ verified members who have voluntarily double-opted in to receive the exclusive discounts.

Starting next week, I will begin reaching out to the local stores in the area to gauge their level of interest.

I am not a big fan of making cold calls on the phone, so I will be walking into the stores most of the time.

The idea is to monetize the list through charging the businesses for sending their coupons to the members.

The primary targets will be (1) restaurants and (2) beauty salons.

The product is priced reasonably (approximately $300 of annual investment), and I do not expect a whole lot of price objections.

The biggest challenge, though, will be to reach the decision makers. Unfortunately, most of the retail stores in the space are run by employees (and managers) that are rarely given the authority to make purchase decisions. As a result, getting a hold of the DM's often turns into a cat-and-mouse game leading to lengthy aquisition cycles.

If you have experience breaking a similar product/service into a comparable market, please share any helpful tips or tricks that could come in handy in my case.

Thanks so much.

whiz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, you pretty much have your whole plan ready...

I would suggest leading with value though - don't ask for them to sign up right away

Offer 1 month free or something before you try to sign them for a year

This gives you the opportunity to really refine your service and make sure it works

Prove it to them (and yourself) at the same time

And if it works really well, then you can negotiate a high price when it's time to sign

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I don't think next week would be the best time to start. I'd say wait until after the new year.

Eric10x10

New Contributor
Oct 18, 2015
I mean, you pretty much have your whole plan ready...

I would suggest leading with value though - don't ask for them to sign up right away

Offer 1 month free or something before you try to sign them for a year

This gives you the opportunity to really refine your service and make sure it works

Prove it to them (and yourself) at the same time

And if it works really well, then you can negotiate a high price when it's time to sign
The reason I have decided against offering a free trial is that realistically, the result they will see in a month will be nothing to brag about, and then getting them to sign up will be difficult.

People usually need to see new ads multiple times, getting familiar with new brands before they decide to interact with the coupons and take action.

As a result, I have decided to offer 6-month and 12-month packages, explaining that it does take a while for consumers to respond to their offers.

Does this make sense at all?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Yo! In 24 hours my Udemy courses go bye bye.. (for real this time) Gotta make way for...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hi Guys! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a part of Fox's Web School program. Though I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom