The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Road to Canada Eh

Anything related to matters of the mind

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
So this thread isn't really about a fastlane business but it is about working to get somewhere I need to be. Hopefully someone may find something useful in here in some other respect. So the decision has been made that we are moving to Canada (me, wife, kids). If any of you have ever been to scotland you will know it is like nowheresville! Nothing ever happens and the place in general drives me crazy! I hate it and when you develop that kind of attitude about something it is not likely to change. This is a kind of progress thread on taking something from conception to complete with further goals set along the way. It is in no way accountability as this is happening I just hope it may provide value to someone.
So ... How far along am I?
Truthfully not very! There is a certain amount of money you need to be eligible and we are half way there. Through working (part owner of the place, cant sell but get a reasonable wage), saving and jobs on the side I hope to gain the rest close to september time maybe sooner depending on how I do with things.
For the time being in order to raise funds, I am selling off possessions (not profitable but you cant take it with you) and working on flipping cars (mechanic by trade and profitable). The latest is a gorgeous Subaru Impreza with a fuelling issue, reasonably easy fix and will hopefully gain me a nice margin.
Ill keep those interested updated as and when things happen and if you have any insights to anything or questions I would be glad to hear!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Where are you moving too?

Just a heads up. If you believe in capitalism. Don't like big, overbearing, tax and spend governments. And don't particularly like the union mentallity. Then pretty much avoid everything Ontario and East.

Unfortunatley, as beautiful as B.C. is. It falls into the same category as the East.

You're pretty much left with AB, SK, or MB as the best options.

Right now AB and MB both have soclialist governments in place. Though AB will probably get rid of theirs at the next election. MB will probably hold on to theirs for the forseable future.

Right now, SK has the best government. Probably the only pro business government in Canada. Brad Wall is routinly voted the most liked leader in all of Canada.

Not wanting to start a political discussion. But just some food for thought for someone that is abviously business minded and needs to make a big decision.

PM me if you want.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I have never visited a Canadian city I didn't like - Canada really knows how to do big cities. But when you leave the big cities for the suburbs and the small towns, there is a disconcerting lack of charm - very bland and sterile. I've never understood it.

MPark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 30, 2016
Toronto
Where are you moving too?

Just a heads up. If you believe in capitalism. Don't like big, overbearing, tax and spend governments. And don't particularly like the union mentallity. Then pretty much avoid everything Ontario and East.

Unfortunatley, as beautiful as B.C. is. It falls into the same category as the East.

You're pretty much left with AB, SK, or MB as the best options.

Right now AB and MB both have soclialist governments in place. Though AB will probably get rid of theirs at the next election. MB will probably hold on to theirs for the forseable future.

Right now, SK has the best government. Probably the only pro business government in Canada. Brad Wall is routinly voted the most liked leader in all of Canada.

Not wanting to start a political discussion. But just some food for thought for someone that is abviously business minded and needs to make a big decision.

PM me if you want.

+1 to Saskatchewan.

I lived in Toronto for most of my life and jumped on an opportunity to run a restaurant in SK on a 3 year lease.
You can never get used to the -40 degree winters but I enjoyed my stay there.. can't complain with all the low costs (auto insurance / tax rates / etc).

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Moving to the Toronto area. Looking for somewhere outwith but within driving distance. Taxes, government and the like isnt a great concern for the time being. The plan is to get a Job and work away for 6 months to a year in order to:
1) Get the family settled and
2) Identify needs around the area, There is no point saying I will start a tire business - for example - when I have no idea on whether another one is needed or not.
A quick update. The Subaru runs :hurray:. I have been driving it for the time being while it is waiting to be sold and I must say it is taking a lot of self control to sell and not just keep it as my own car is just a banger I bought for under 300 so going back wont be the most fun but it is a means to an end as they say. Once it is gone I am not sure if I will move on to flipping another car or something else yet. I will see how I feel.
Things are beginning to feel more real though! Its not just a dream now!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.