This week I attended a Retail workshop by the Arizona Department of Revenue ($15). Some of the things I already knew, but I learned a few things I want to pass along. Obviously this is for Arizona and I am no CPA!
1. This might sound dumb to most, but I did not know that I should not be paying taxes to my suppliers as I re-sell the goods. A simple Arizona form 5000 does the job. You send it to your supplier and they know not to charge you. Wonder if it works if you go buy somehting at say Costco... Haven't tried yet. Needless to say this impacts the bottom line!
2. Learned that for e-commerce the average of local sales in which one needs to charge local tax is about 2%.
3. Learned about usage tax. If you decide to grab something from your inventory for a gift or for charity, you are responsible for paying the sales tax.
4. If you attend a trade show and sell goods there, you must get a local biz license and collect sales tax according to their rates.
Thought some might find this useful.
1. This might sound dumb to most, but I did not know that I should not be paying taxes to my suppliers as I re-sell the goods. A simple Arizona form 5000 does the job. You send it to your supplier and they know not to charge you. Wonder if it works if you go buy somehting at say Costco... Haven't tried yet. Needless to say this impacts the bottom line!
2. Learned that for e-commerce the average of local sales in which one needs to charge local tax is about 2%.
3. Learned about usage tax. If you decide to grab something from your inventory for a gift or for charity, you are responsible for paying the sales tax.
4. If you attend a trade show and sell goods there, you must get a local biz license and collect sales tax according to their rates.
Thought some might find this useful.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
