The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Relying on hope set me back further from my goal

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
Almost bonus time.

My first bonus that was going to be £50+ in my working career. I had already planned to put the amount of money, whatever it was, into a savings account to go towards my first property purchase.

December 22nd 2008. Last pay day of the year.

1 months wage: £xxxx & Annual bonus: £200

Not a lot of money by all means but a big enough sum, so I thought, to help me get to millions.

Risk = Reward.

Idea #1 - Hire a lawnmower or 2 and employ some cheap labour to take care of groundwork at certain estates??

Idea #2 - Purchase a cheap truck and go knocking at doors to offer a removal service or a rubbish collection service. (Standard collection is once every 2 weeks. I’d run alternatively)??

Nope…

I pinned my £200 on HOPE!

Several lottery tickets later I sat in front of my TV watching the numbers roll in.

What did I win? Zero. 100 lines of random numbers and I won nothing.

What did I learn?

Never to play the lottery again. Getting the event but not the journey is not for me.

More importantly I realised then that hope is a sh!t strategy.

The only way I am going to make the money required to have the freedom I want is through my own hard work not on hope.

A question to you:

When did you realise that relying on hope was not a good strategy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Yeah man the lottery ticket mentality leads to nothing but unhappiness and misery. When you don't earn the money yourself you have no respect for it.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
To answer your question, when I was a bit younger maybe when I was 8 or 9, maybe even 7 or 6 I don't really remember.
I saw a Porsche, and my dad had a brand new toyota camry at the time. I asked my dad why does the guy driving the Porsche have a better car than us, my father then told me it's because he was lucky.

So I thought "Ok I hope I am lucky"
Fast forward a few years, I had already started thinking of biz type stuff yatta yatta, when it really hit me was when I met a wealthy entrepreneur and he had a Porsche and I asked him if he thought he was lucky.
Let's just say after that day I realized hoping for something doesn't make anything happen :)
So that's when I realized that hoping doesn't do much :D

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
“Malcolm Gladwell, a successful author who writes about successful people, declares in Outliers that success results from a “patchwork of lucky breaks and arbitrary advantages.”

the phenomenon of serial entrepreneurship would seem to call into question our tendency to explain success as the product of chance. Hundreds of people have started multiple multimillion-dollar businesses. A few, like Steve Jobs, Jack Dorsey, and Elon Musk, have created several multibillion-dollar companies. If success were mostly a matter of luck, these kinds of serial entrepreneurs probably wouldn’t exist.”

-Peter Thiel; Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The best story I can share is not from myself, but from a good friend of mine. He learned early.

When he was 13 he was hired to code a website for a guy. The first and last job he ever had in his life.

He built a website, from scratch, and made decent money doing it. Hell, he was only 13 years old so he thought he was making a killing. He built this guy a website who later on ended up selling it for high 7 figures ($8 mil or so). He sent my friend a thank you note from Hawaii when he sold out and retired. He still thinks about that note.

My friend now only produces his own products and all of them earn $1+ million in revenue(as far as I know and have seen). He found his motivation early.

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
The best story I can share is not from myself, but from a good friend of mine. He learned early.

When he was 13 he was hired to code a website for a guy. The first and last job he ever had in his life.

He built a website, from scratch, and made decent money doing it. Hell, he was only 13 years old so he thought he was making a killing. He built this guy a website who later on ended up selling it for high 7 figures ($8 mil or so). He sent my friend a thank you note from Hawaii when he sold out and retired. He still thinks about that note.

My friend now only produces his own products and all of them earn $1+ million in revenue(as far as I know and have seen). He found his motivation early.
A valuable lesson learned early on then. Thanks for the story @Jake

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Idea #1 - Hire a lawnmower or 2 and employ some cheap labour to take care of groundwork at certain estates??
lol.

You can still do this idea with $0.
Secure the work FIRST, and then take the $, and hire the people for it.

I know I'm missing the point of the post, but this is something interesting we should all keep our eyes open to. You don't need $ to make $. You can start most ideas with $0 if you just get started.

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
lol.

You can still do this idea with $0.
Secure the work FIRST, and then take the $, and hire the people for it.

I know I'm missing the point of the post, but this is something interesting we should all keep our eyes open to. You don't need $ to make $. You can start most ideas with $0 if you just get started.

Very true, the above example like many others don't require any cash to start. I should have probably used a better example.

Valid point none the less @DennisDuty

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
I hate those stupid clickbait titles on here.
Interesting view on the title.

To get anything across on such a busy website do you not need a title that stands out?

My intention was never to mislead people yet I believe the point of the thread is valid and on topic with the title, do you not?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Had the feeling....still clicked
51d56342f5a8b89afb1719d65069a3d1.jpg

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
I have listened to my audience and changed the title to suit. Possibly it is clearer now that the thread is about relying on hope didn't work out.

What did you think was going to happen playing the lottery!?
In all honesty, I thought I was going to become rich by increasing my odds to pick the correct numbers.

Just so we are clear, this was a long time before TMF or even thinking about dumping the average mindset.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
In my experience you can be totally hopeless that a situation will never turn around. You can be totally hopeless because you believe things will never change. You have faith that something will happen to change the circumstances. You can hope something will happen to change the circumstance. You can believe something will change to change the circumstances.

The disappointment usually comes when I say I have expected a person to act a certain way and they failed to act in a appropriate manner, or how I may have wanted them too. I may put my trust and faith in another person and be let down.

I may have high expectations of myself or another person to perform in a certain amount of time or come up with a certain result. I believed by going to college I would have a job. I believed the person in front of me was giving me the right information to succeed. I didn't hope they were giving me the right information. I believed the lottery was going to give me a certain amount of money. When it was the final day, I may have hoped the results would come. I had faith the lottery would save all me from financial disaster. I had expectations that the lottery ball knew it was my wish to be rich.

Belief is a thought! Faith, hope, expectations result from the belief you had in the moment. I just keep looking at this hope thing, because in this forum it seems hope somehow is the reason why you don't succeed. It's your belief why you don't succeed. You believe some certain advice or ingredient that may be wrong, or making the wrong choice. You have high expectations in people helping you that won't help you, or high expectations a certain choice or action will produce a certain result.

I hope you have a good day. I hope I have a good life. I hope someday I will be rich. I hope sunshine comes out. I hope I win the lottery. Hope is exchanged for I wish you a good day. I wish I have a good life from right now. I wish someday I will be rich. I wish the sunshine would come out. I wish I would win the lottery. In this sense (Hope is a wish). Hidden meaning.

Our English Vocab can be used in many ways. I think it was just drawing my attention, because I don't even use the word hope in my vocabulary. I usually go with what I believe or what someone else believes as my guide to whether I put hope and trust into someone. The only time I am disappointed is when I believe in the wrong person or information and expected success.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I usually go with what I believe or what someone else believes as my guide to whether I put hope and trust into someone. The only time I am disappointed is when I believe in the wrong person or information and expected success.

Yeah its better to follow yourself
But ironically more convenient to follow others
Its a b#tch

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!